Author Topic: Stevens this game is on you  (Read 15605 times)

Re: Stevens this game is on you
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Biggest mistake was allowing Rozier and Brown to be selfish

That's exactly what we're saying! That Brad seemingly had no problem with this/recourse to amend this is the problem. That he let Rozier and Brown, but primarily Rozier during that main stretch in the third, shoot us out of this game without doing anything is simply not good coaching, regardless of the mental gymnastics some on here are going through to defend this decision.
Rozier IS a selfish, undisciplined player and a back up.  Brown, for all his intelligence, has a below average IQ even for a young player.

Now tell me again how this is the coaches fault?  You actually think that telling them to play smart is actually going to make a difference?  Guys are what they are.  Brad had a better chance of talking to the ball and telling it to go in.

No, in the immediate you simply yank their arses out and put in someone else. For as poorly as Smart shot, he wouldn't have made 3-4 possessions like that that completely changed the game moving forward. In fact, he probably would've calmed the game down and tried making plays for someone else.

I believe we ended with two timeouts. That's just yet another example of Brad being too stingy with the timeouts earlier in the game and letting runs like that go and screwing us down the line. That should've been a timeout, a Rozier arse-chewing on the bench, and a substitution of Smart with an ATO drawn up to stop that run.

Instead Brad just left Rozier and Brown in, and we never really recovered and played catch-up the rest of the game. Yes, that is absolutely, 100% on Brad. That run never happens if Brad is proactive and makes the necessary adjustments to curb the poor decision-making.

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
my only complaing with stevens is not calling timeout when the cavs went on that 8-0 run. He instead let them play and self-destruct.

He has CONSISTENTLY not called timeouts when they were needed.  That is consistently BAD decision-making by Brad.

He is very good, but certainly NOT perfect.  He got OUT-coached by Ty Lue.  That should haunt him all off-season!!

Smitty77

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2018, 12:38:03 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
4 rebounds by Al did not  help either- God knows we missed a ton of shots so there were plenty to go after- How does Al have least amount of rebounds at home of all our starters? Even Terry had 4 - That was Blount like rebounding in most important game of his career-

Stevens did almost as much as humanly possible but we all can learn from experiences when results are not favorable- he will learn in areas he lost out on-

Lue’s  ability to take Horford out of the game and Steven’s inability to counter it, was big. Yes we missed a ton of shots but in game sevens, the Vet max player needs to find way to get better in the flow when it matters.

Brad's counter was to belatedly start Baynes and then pull him after he plays great.  (Like after he had that monster follow slam a few games ago and then got immediately yanked!!!)

Smitty77

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2018, 12:39:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Biggest mistake was allowing Rozier and Brown to be selfish

That's exactly what we're saying! That Brad seemingly had no problem with this/recourse to amend this is the problem. That he let Rozier and Brown, but primarily Rozier during that main stretch in the third, shoot us out of this game without doing anything is simply not good coaching, regardless of the mental gymnastics some on here are going through to defend this decision.
Rozier IS a selfish, undisciplined player and a back up.  Brown, for all his intelligence, has a below average IQ even for a young player.

Now tell me again how this is the coaches fault?  You actually think that telling them to play smart is actually going to make a difference?  Guys are what they are.  Brad had a better chance of talking to the ball and telling it to go in.

No, in the immediate you simply yank their arses out and put in someone else. For as poorly as Smart shot, he wouldn't have made 3-4 possessions like that that completely changed the game moving forward. In fact, he probably would've calmed the game down and tried making plays for someone else.

I believe we ended with two timeouts. That's just yet another example of Brad being too stingy with the timeouts earlier in the game and letting runs like that go and screwing us down the line. That should've been a timeout, a Rozier arse-chewing on the bench, and a substitution of Smart with an ATO drawn up to stop that run.

Instead Brad just left Rozier and Brown in, and we never really recovered and played catch-up the rest of the game. Yes, that is absolutely, 100% on Brad. That run never happens if Brad is proactive and makes the necessary adjustments to curb the poor decision-making.
Oh, okay.  Let’s yank one guy who played terribly for another guy that played terribly.  I thought we already established that he was out of options player wise.  And guess what; Rozier never got better. 

At the end of the day guys guys have to make shots.

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 12:45:45 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Man, I have to say it.  Some of you people are positively nut jobs.  We had a back up PG bricking shots, his back up bricking shots, a supposed up and coming star bricking shots, and it’s the coaches fault?  Are you people crazy?!?

Was he was supposed to play Nader?  Or how about Larkin in street clothes?  You don’t just tell players to be disciplined.  You don’t just tell players to take good shots.  Fact is, the better the player, the better the shots.

Wat? :P

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
When the Celts couldn't win one at Cleveland .... I had a real bad feeling

Had to win one, especially game 6. But couldn't seal the deal

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:49 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Man, I have to say it.  Some of you people are positively nut jobs.  We had a back up PG bricking shots, his back up bricking shots, a supposed up and coming star bricking shots, and it’s the coaches fault?  Are you people crazy?!?

Was he was supposed to play Nader?  Or how about Larkin in street clothes?  You don’t just tell players to be disciplined.  You don’t just tell players to take good shots.  Fact is, the better the player, the better the shots.

Newsflash.  You can’t tell players that at their core are one thing, to be something fhey aren’t and have it turn out well.  It will turn out worse.

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Brad Stevens at the post-game presser:

"I just called [my timeouts] when the mandatory timeouts were coming with exception of the JR Smith 3 in the 3rd quarter".

I'm grateful you're our coach Brad, but please, for the love of all that is good, spend a timeout earlier in the quarter if you see stretches like we've had in games 6 and 7, where both our offense falters and we're making defensive errors at the other end of the floor.  Settle the team, draw up a solid play, and chew out our players when they fail to communicate on defense.  We're not experienced nor good enough yet to "figure it out" and play through these bad stretches yet.  This has proven true time and time again this season, particularly in the 2nd quarter.

Heck, he even said that their inability to extend the lead in the 2nd quarter was one of the more notable stretches of the game for him.

Fix this, get healthy, and we're going to make a legitimate championship run next season.

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2018, 12:49:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
you can tell even in game 5....Lue and the Cavs figured something out (to minimize the Celts offense).   There were too many stretches the Celts missed shots but the Cavs also sukked and missed shots

Lebum wasn't going to let this happen and played bully ball

this was the difference between game 5 and 7

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

"I just called [my timeouts] when the mandatory timeouts were coming with exception of the JR Smith 3 in the 3rd quarter".

I'm grateful you're our coach Brad, but please, for the love of all that is good, spend a timeout earlier in the quarter if you see stretches like we've had in games 6 and 7, where both our offense falters and we're making defensive errors at the other end of the floor.  Settle the team, draw up a solid play, and chew out our players when they fail to communicate on defense.  We're not experienced nor good enough yet to "figure it out" and play through these bad stretches yet.  This has proven true time and time again this season, particularly in the 2nd quarter.

Heck, he even said that their inability to extend the lead in the 2nd quarter was one of the more notable stretches of the game for him.

Fix this, get healthy, and we're going to make a legitimate championship run next season.
Our offense sputtered the entire game.  Timeouts weren’t going to make a difference.

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2018, 12:51:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you really can't blame this on CBS.  The team held the Cavs to less than 90 points (one of the best in the series).  But couldn't score because guys like Rozier , Brown and AL went ice cold in the 4th (Rozier was ice cold all game).   The Cavs closed the middle and dared the Celts to shoot the open 3s

Players missed.  What is CBS suppose to do?

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The turning point of the game was the very very dumb Rozier attempt to dunk on James

He should have lobbed it to AL

I couldnt' believe he tried that for the 2nd time this series. 

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2018, 12:54:08 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Our offense sputtered the entire game.  Timeouts weren’t going to make a difference.

We looked fairly good in the 1st quarter.  The timing of TO's, drawing up plays, substitutions can determine the outcome of the game. 

And this doesn't apply just to this game, but many games, both regular and post-season.

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Newsflash.  You can’t tell players that at their core are one thing, to be something fhey aren’t and have it turn out well.  It will turn out worse.

Wait, so you can't instruct them to look for higher percentage shots? :o I'm not exactly advocating for brain surgery, here, lol, just some helpful pointers and notes concerning the team's overall strategy, such as perhaps emphasizing in timeouts to throw the ball into Horford whenever he was being guarded by George Hill, for example, which, not surprisingly, worked every single time and was available during many of the possessions where the team opted to continue to jack threes ::). If the players don't see those matchups, etc., on the court, then it's up to the, well, coach to point them out, otherwise why even bother having a head coach in the first place, lol? Is that really being so unreasonable?

« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:59 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

We looked fairly good in the 1st quarter.  The timing of TO's, drawing up plays, substitutions can determine the outcome of the game. 

And this doesn't apply just to this game, but many games, both regular and post-season.
The other team gets to o,an too.  And we also let Lebron rest.