Author Topic: Chirs Broussard reports Cavs looking to get Shaq.  (Read 7761 times)

Re: Chirs Broussard reports Cavs looking to get Shaq.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Pavlovic's deal is only guaranteed for $1.5 million.  Trading him plus Wallace ($14.5 million) for Shaq ($21 million) immediately saves $5 million if they cut Pavlovic.  Since Phoenix is above the luxury tax, that's also $5 million they don't have to pay tax on, meaning their total savings would be $10 million.

If Wallace agrees to a buyout or voluntarily retires, Phoenix would save even more money.  Indeed, if Wallace agreed to a large enough buyout (say, 50% of his remaining deal) Phoenix might even be able to avoid paying luxury tax at all (which not only would save them money, but also would mean that they'd be in the pool of teams that receives proceeds from the dispersal of the luxury tax that other teams pay.)

All told, this trade would save Phoenix a minimum of $10 million, and perhaps as much as $17 - $25 million, or even more.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:06:28 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is part one to a bad offseaon for the Celtics.  (Part two would be Wallace and Hill signing in Clev as FA, Mcdyse signing in Orlando)

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sarver may replace Chris Wallace on the Celticsblog most hated list. Does Cyberdyne do contract work? (Kidding) ; ;D

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Pavlovic's deal is only guaranteed for $1.5 million.  Trading him plus Wallace ($14.5 million) for Shaq ($21 million) immediately saves $5 million if they cut Pavlovic.  Since Phoenix is above the luxury tax, that's also $5 million they don't have to pay tax on, meaning their total savings would be $10 million.

If Wallace agrees to a buyout or voluntarily retires, Phoenix would save even more money.  Indeed, if Wallace agreed to a large enough buyout (say, 50% of his remaining deal) Phoenix might even be able to avoid paying luxury tax at all (which not only would save them money, but also would mean that they'd be in the pool of teams that receives proceeds from the dispersal of the luxury tax that other teams pay.)

All told, this trade would save Phoenix a minimum of $10 million, and perhaps as much as $17 - $25 million, or even more.
Roy is Cleveland under the cap? How could they trade Shaq's 21 million for 16 million of Wallace and Pavlovic? I thought the salaries needed to match up.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Roy is Cleveland under the cap? How could they trade Shaq's 21 million for 16 million of Wallace and Pavlovic? I thought the salaries needed to match up.

A couple things:

1) Salaries don't have to match up 100%; rather, they need to be within 125% + $100k of each other; and

2) Pavlovic's entire salary -- guaranteed plus non-guaranteed -- is $4.75 million.  That's the amount used for calculating salaries.

Thus, here Cleveland is sending out $14.5 million + $4.75 million, for a total of $19.25 million.  That "matches" with the $21 million Phoenix is sending out.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i don't like this!!

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think this deal will happen, and I prefer this one than to see the cavs get someone like amare or bosh for wallace's expiring deal. there is no way they let big ben's contract slip away without getting something good for it like they did with wally's contract. Shaq isn't that good anymore.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:32:23 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think this deal will happen, and I prefer this one than to see the cavs get someone like amare or bosh for wallace's expiring deal. there is no way they let big ben's contract slip away without getting something good for it like they did with wally's contract. Shaq isn't that good anymore.

Yeah, I think it's going to happen.  I'm not so afraid of a Cavs team with Shaq and LeBron though.  Formidable indeed, but not necessarily a title team.  I don't think the Cavs are even going to have as good a regular season record next year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Perk shut down Dwight for the most part just because Dwight has no moves... and Dwight could not back down Perk.

Shaq can limit Dwight in the same way.

So... sorta makes sense.  Dwight DOMINATED the Cavs bigs.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

Offline guachi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
hahahaha, come on, this is hilarious, shaq should be looking to retire. Everybody thinks you get shaq and with him a chamionship, why they dont get MJ to save them?, hahahaha. they are not going to win with shaq. he has the same defensive flaw as Ilgauskas who cannot defend the pick and roll. I hope they get him so the path is open for us.

Shaq your time is over, please retire. No moe rings for you, youve got enough.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
hahahaha, come on, this is hilarious, shaq should be looking to retire. Everybody thinks you get shaq and with him a chamionship, why they dont get MJ to save them?, hahahaha. they are not going to win with shaq. he has the same defensive flaw as Ilgauskas who cannot defend the pick and roll. I hope they get him so the path is open for us.

In this trade the Cavs would be giving up almost nothing talent wise for Shaq. It's a no brainer and definitely makes the Cavs the team to beat if they stay healthy.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

In this trade the Cavs would be giving up almost nothing talent wise for Shaq. It's a no brainer and definitely makes the Cavs the team to beat if they stay healthy.

Agreed.  Shaq isn't a dominant center any more.  However, he can still give a team 15 / 10 and play physical defense on a guy like Howard.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

it makes them better, but not the team to beat, shaq is old, there is no doubt about that. He may not mesh well with the cavs offense either, and his defense isn't what it used to be

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

it makes them better, but not the team to beat, shaq is old, there is no doubt about that. He may not mesh well with the cavs offense either, and his defense isn't what it used to be

Who do you think would be the team to beat?  The Lakers?  Cleveland did finish with 66 wins and the league's best record without Shaq.