Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 342952 times)

Re: Report: Pels to call Boston if they can't convince Davis to stay
« Reply #2655 on: May 16, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Said this in a couple of threads immediately after the lottery; it was a good outcome for the Cs if they still want AD.

I’d rank the best packages:
1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

If the Knicks had won the lotto that would have changed it. The Lakers package is not that good even with #4, Ingram’s health ruins it.

« Reply #2656 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Said this in a couple of threads immediately after the lottery; it was a good outcome for the Cs if they still want AD.

1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

If the Knicks had won the lotto that would have changed it. The Lakers package is not that good even with #4, Ingram’s health ruins it.

If PHI enters the bidding and offers up Simmons in a package, I'd have them at #1. Still think Knicks are ahead of the C's slightly. But I truthfully still think that Lakers package won't be as great as the others even if they offer up #4 + all of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball. Ingram's health + Lonzo/Lavar's off-the-court drama makes it look a lot less appealing and I think the Pels see this too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2657 on: May 16, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
They also don't want to be the lakers team from 2 years ago.

« Reply #2658 on: May 16, 2019, 08:55:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
It should also be noted that the Pels have been doing their due diligence at the combine interviewing. While they would’ve interviewed Zion, Morant, and RJ regardless, I think they’re exploring the other lottery talents in preparation for an AD trade. If Boston can combine their picks into a mid-lottery selection in the 6-8 range, that’d probably really help the trade out, especially if NOLA likes a guy in that range.

« Reply #2659 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Works for me. All I’m hoping is that we can keep Jaylen.

Last season didn't you prefer to keep Tatum over Brown if it came down to it?

We’re not keeping Tatum in any trade for Davis.
what if pels prefer Jaylen

They won’t, but sure.
I know it's unlikely but I think there was a report I think the GMs are split on who will be better between brown and tatum
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-nba-coaches-gms-trade-value-celtics/cha1q929j9xv19z6cf891ir1r

IF it came down to it...don't feel like anything is set, as to who they want

If Roy wants to keep Brown... why wouldn't Pelicans want him also?

Unless Roy thinks Tatum is a higher talent

personal agendas are not the same as what Griffin will want

Griffin is going to want Tatum and Brown. Tatum is the necessary piece. Hopefully he settles for Smart instead of Brown as the second piece.

I can't see a scenario that doesn't include both Brown, Tatum and a plethora of picks. Anything less is not an equitable outcome for the Pelicans. To think the Celtics can acquire a reasonably young, top five NBA player, in peak form, for pennies on the dollar is madness.

« Reply #2660 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

If PHI enters the bidding and offers up Simmons in a package, I'd have them at #1. Still think Knicks are ahead of the C's slightly. But I truthfully still think that Lakers package won't be as great as the others even if they offer up #4 + all of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball. Ingram's health + Lonzo/Lavar's off-the-court drama makes it look a lot less appealing and I think the Pels see this too.

Simmons is so overrated. The last thing you’d want to pair Zion with is another ball-dominant non-shooter.

« Reply #2661 on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

Simmons is so overrated. The last thing you’d want to pair Zion with is another ball-dominant non-shooter.

Simmons is not ball dominant

if anything he passes too much

76ers trading Simmons + whatever for AD

is interesting

AD
Embiid

could be tough to handle. That would be a true, twin tower type tandem

« Reply #2662 on: May 16, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

They won’t, but sure.
I know it's unlikely but I think there was a report I think the GMs are split on who will be better between brown and tatum
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-nba-coaches-gms-trade-value-celtics/cha1q929j9xv19z6cf891ir1r

Even if you prefer Brown (which I personally do) it is indisputable that Tatum is the more elite shooter and that has to carry more weight with the Pels when looking for in a second young star next to Zion.

Its really hard to see a better deal than Tatum, Smart and 3 nice picks. You can have too many shooters, as we found out this year. Smart playing with Jrue Holiday would be ferocious on D, and he'd be OK taking less than 10 shots. You can't keep asking Jaylen to be a 4th or 5th option much longer.

« Reply #2663 on: May 16, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

They won’t, but sure.

Even if you prefer Brown (which I personally do) it is indisputable that Tatum is the more elite shooter and that has to carry more weight with the Pels when looking for in a second young star next to Zion.

Its really hard to see a better deal than Tatum, Smart and 3 nice picks. You can have too many shooters, as we found out this year. Smart playing with Jrue Holiday would be ferocious on D, and he'd be OK taking less than 10 shots. You can't keep asking Jaylen to be a 4th or 5th option much longer.

say better shooter

don't say more elite...bc Tatum shooting is ways away from elite right now

Also Brown shooting has really improved.... in the 2nd half I trusted his open 3s more than I Tatum

Brown is the better defender. More explosive. Better at getting to the line

Just overall a more exciting player

« Reply #2664 on: May 16, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »

Offline CelticsCeltics

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Does anyone know the earliest possible date to trade for AD?  I know there are implications with Kyries contract. When does he officially become a free agent.

Also, should the Celtics wait until Kyrie signs or at least verbally commits to pull the trigger on an AD deal?

Something like Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams iii, 14th overall pick, 20th overall pick, 22nd overall pick, Grizzlies pick (2020/2021)

Then maybe get someone to take on Hayward’s contract. Maybe a desperate team like Cleveland. That way the team can afford to pay Jaylen and AD next summer, and Marcus Morris this summer.  This part isn’t super important to us fans (because it isn’t our money) but may be something the front office considers.  Assuming we keep Hayward.....

Anthony Davis
Al Horford (4yr 70 million)
Gordon Hayward
Jaylen Brown
Kyrie Irving

Is a stellar starting 5

Plus bring back Marcus Morris, Daniel Theis, and Aaron Baynes
Hopefully sign a shooter with the tax payer MLE like Wayne Ellington
That leaves a major hole at backup PG but I trust Danny will find a creative way to acquire a competent one

Aron Baynes/ Daniel Theis
Marcus Morris/Semi Ojeleye 
Wayne Ellington
Brad Wanamaker

Off the bench

« Reply #2665 on: May 16, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

1. Celtics
2. Knicks
3. Lakers

Simmons is not ball dominant

if anything he passes too much

76ers trading Simmons + whatever for AD

is interesting

AD
Embiid

could be tough to handle. That would be a true, twin tower type tandem

I don't think 'ball dominant' means what you think it means. Being ball dominant means that you need the ball in your hands to be effective - many of the most elite passers are ball dominant. It would be a bummer of Philly acquired AD, though. That would be a pretty killer front court.

As for this news, it is great to hear if you are a Cs fan! Perhaps getting a trade announced early in the process will give Irving a chance to realize what he would really be leaving. I have long been accepting of a Tatum, Smart, Yabu, picks package and see no reason why that would change now. The Pels and their fans are seemingly gaga over Tatum (in reading some articles/posts on their boards).

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2666 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:25 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Hey guys, just saw that Steve Bulpett said that NO considers the Celtics the most attractive trade partner in case they can't convince AD to stay. THE HOPE IS STILL ALIVE! Haha

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop

So am I allowed to "call out" some of the posters who vehemently argued / trolled that we don't have the best package, such as a certain notable Reddit celebrity, if I don't insult them in the process?  Or is that not allowed?

Man, I don't know if it's just because I'm from Brazil, but I completely missed your point. I don't know about any Reddit celebrity or anything like that. Sorry, I don't know if you're joking or not, but you're allowed to do whatever you want if you ask me.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #2667 on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not hearing a single peep from the BLOW IT UP doom and gloom crowd in this thread.  Where you guys at?

Obviously this is just a report and nothing has happened yet, but it's the best possible news we could get.

It's exciting but I am also not trying to get my hopes up so I don't get disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/16/danny-ainge-staying-put-as-celtics-face-big-decisions/

New Orleans is also waiting on a meeting with Anthony Davis, and Pelicans sources say that discussion is expected to take place within the next week. David Griffin, who took over the team’s basketball operations last month, is planning to pitch Davis on staying put after a season that saw AD ask for a trade and say that, if that request wasn’t accommodated, he would opt out and leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

There have been reports that Davis hasn’t moved from that stance, and if such is the case, sources here told the Herald the Pelicans will reach out to the Celtics as the most obvious trade partner. The Celts may still not be sure about a deal because it’s not known yet what the Pels will want in return for the All-Star, but there seems to be a belief that they’d be able to work things out.

It’s also within the realm of possibility that another team could jump into the picture, but it’s hard to see the Lakers as one of those teams. New Orleans sources said the team “won’t be doing business” with the Lakers, with the bitterness from the Lakers’ attempt to engineer a Davis deal during the season still seething within the Pelicans’ organization.

Sources here at NBA draft combine in Chicago saying Celts are still most attractive trade partner for New Orleans if Pelicans can't convince Anthony Davis to stay.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1129139107266007041

If the Celts won't bring back Irving

does the team still want AD??
there were reports that Ainge is trying to get Davis regardless of what kyrie does

If kyrie leaves does that open cap space for us?

So Ainge is okay with gutting our roster if Kyrie leaves and we lose Brown/Tatum/Smart/Yabusele/14/20/22 picks in a package for Anthony Davis one-year rental.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/16/danny-ainge-staying-put-as-celtics-face-big-decisions/

New Orleans is also waiting on a meeting with Anthony Davis, and Pelicans sources say that discussion is expected to take place within the next week. David Griffin, who took over the team’s basketball operations last month, is planning to pitch Davis on staying put after a season that saw AD ask for a trade and say that, if that request wasn’t accommodated, he would opt out and leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2020.

There have been reports that Davis hasn’t moved from that stance, and if such is the case, sources here told the Herald the Pelicans will reach out to the Celtics as the most obvious trade partner. The Celts may still not be sure about a deal because it’s not known yet what the Pels will want in return for the All-Star, but there seems to be a belief that they’d be able to work things out.

It’s also within the realm of possibility that another team could jump into the picture, but it’s hard to see the Lakers as one of those teams. New Orleans sources said the team “won’t be doing business” with the Lakers, with the bitterness from the Lakers’ attempt to engineer a Davis deal during the season still seething within the Pelicans’ organization.

Sources here at NBA draft combine in Chicago saying Celts are still most attractive trade partner for New Orleans if Pelicans can't convince Anthony Davis to stay.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1129139107266007041

If the Celts won't bring back Irving

does the team still want AD??
there were reports that Ainge is trying to get Davis regardless of what kyrie does

If kyrie leaves does that open cap space for us?

So Ainge is okay with gutting our roster if Kyrie leaves and we lose Brown/Tatum/Smart/Yabusele/14/20/22 picks in a package for Anthony Davis one-year rental.

this is what I mean...that would be terrible

Celtics fans want to forcefeed Tatum + Smart and multiple 1sts and think Griffin will take this offer in a heartbeat

Truth is, we don't even know if Tatum or Brown is on the table

Knowing cheapie Danny

he will probably offer Smart, 3 2019 1sts, memphis 1st, sign and trade Rozier....to try to pry AD