Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343493 times)

Re: Where Ainge Needs To Draw the Line on Davis Trade Package
« Reply #2550 on: May 15, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
And the #4 pick is most certainly not equal to (4) #1 picks...especially in a draft with a consensus of only 3 top players.  I think they get a max of (4) of the 7 assets(MS,JT,JB, (4) #1's.  My line is 4.  Salary filler and 2nd rnd picks mean nothing.
I disagree.  While I understand that this is a three player draft (though we know there will be sleepers), I may not want to draft guys in the teens and twenties.  Most of those are misses and then you just end up with a bunch of guaranteed contracts.  Would probably rather have one shot at the next best player.

the teens and 20s hold alot of good value assets.

Cheap players, locked up for a while.

You probably are not getting superstars, maybe not even allstars, but you are getting talent for cheap.
Sure, one could argue that way.  My point is that I think it's not obvious one way or the other and the ultimate value may depend on the team.

I agree.

Number 4 hold more value than the picks Boston has (excluding Memphis).

But bostons players hold more value than the Lakers, by a good bit.
the #4 pick is Not good. It has a $6 million dollar cap hold... For a non-star level player.  there is no one Amazing left at 4

A team like LA who wants the most cap space will not want to spend it on a project rookie. LA loses leverage just by having the pick

Re: NOTE: Don't Forget, AD's Trade Kicker!
« Reply #2551 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If AD is willing to forego millions and millions of dollars in a super-max extension to say in NO for 5 more years, I doubt he'd lose sleep over waiving a $3 million trade kicker if he genuinely wants out.

« Reply #2552 on: May 15, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Do you think the Lakers would trade Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, and the #4 pick for Tatum? I think they'd do that in a heart beat. They could've picked Tatum at two instead of Ball...

« Reply #2553 on: May 15, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Do you think the Lakers would trade Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, and the #4 pick for Tatum? I think they'd do that in a heart beat. They could've picked Tatum at two instead of Ball...
why would we want their garbage players? Ingram literally has a career ending condition and he was regressing before that

Kuzma is old and ball is terrible. #4 has a $6 million cap hold

« Reply #2554 on: May 15, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
why would we want their garbage players? Ingram literally has a career ending condition and he was regressing before that

We wouldn't. I'm saying that Tatum by himself has more value than the crap pile The Lakers can offer.

« Reply #2555 on: May 15, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Gilbert is going to milk us for all that he can. He knows Kyrie bolts if Danny does not give in. There are other factors in what we will offer as well.

When NO brings in some of the top players for workouts and interviews, if they find someone they think is at same level as Tatum or better, then it is game over for our chances to get Davis. Those workouts will most likely decide where Davis will go if he is going anywhere. It could end up that even Smart, Tatum and Brown will not be enough if NO has a different view of one of those top players in the draft this year.

That 3rd and 4th picks from Lakers and Knicks could get a lot more valuable if NO has dreams of another superstar from those slots.

Also, maybe the Lakers or Knicks find a way to trade into 2 slot and improve their package for Davis as well. A boat load of lower picks and the hopes of a Memphis pick cashing in and Tatum and company might still not be enough for Gilbert.

It is out of our control no matter what happens.

Do you mean Griffin? I think he likes Tatum and probably would pair well with Zion.

Yes, thanks. That is what I get for trying to drink less coffee! :)

« Reply #2556 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I think thats the point.

Some are arguing that the lal package us better than our package.

When their package doesnt even get them tatum.

« Reply #2557 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tatum, Smart, Williams, 4 #1s, and take back Moore if they want to shed a year of salary.

That’s the max I would go.

I agree with this trade but It has to be Yabu instead of Williams for salary matching. That's also why it has to be Smart. I did this in trade machine and it works. It's a pretty fair trade.

Tatum, Smart, Yabu and picks....

I didn't include Yabu because he's junk.  The Pels might actually want Williams, whereas Yabu is waiver fodder.

In terms of salary, remember that we can include the salary of draft picks 30 days after they sign a contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2558 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think thats the point.

Some are arguing that the lal package us better than our package.

When their package doesnt even get them tatum.

Exactly...

« Reply #2559 on: May 15, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Tatum, Smart, Williams, 4 #1s, and take back Moore if they want to shed a year of salary.

That’s the max I would go.

I agree with this trade but It has to be Yabu instead of Williams for salary matching. That's also why it has to be Smart. I did this in trade machine and it works. It's a pretty fair trade.

Tatum, Smart, Yabu and picks....

I didn't include Yabu because he's junk.  The Pels might actually want Williams, whereas Yabu is waiver fodder.

Yabu is just a throw in to make salary work. If you send Williams you have to send another player. Williams and Semi works...

« Reply #2560 on: May 15, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Now that the lottery results (Lakers get 4th pick, Knicks 3rd, Celtics 14th, Pels win Zion Sweepstakes), the cost to acquire Davis has gone up.

Before the draft, it was reasonably expected that the package would include the picks, Williams, Tatum and one of Smart or Brown.

I feel the Laker's acquisition of teh 4th pick will ramp up the price for Davis.  Pelican ownership has probably instructed Griffin to get the best possible value, but if it is close, go with ABL (anyone but Lakers). The Lakers are aware of this, and will therefore be compelled to throw the kitchen sink in to get Davis to pair with a 3/4 depreciated LBJ. Time is of the essence for them.  So the 4th pick, Ingram, Ball and Kuzma will all be on the table.  That is a good package.

If Griffin requires Boston to include all of Smart, Brown and Tatum, along with Williams and the picks, does Danny still pull the trigger?

Consider: No guaranty beyond a year from Davis.  Kyrie himself may sign a 1/1 deal, to see how Davis plays out.  Hayward may never be the player he was in Utah. Horford will be 34 years old.

Does that sound like the nucleus of a team that can win multiple championships?

Personally, I would not do that deal. Of course, I was dead set against trading Jefferson for a 30 something KG, and was proven wrong on that one.

What would you do if Brown, Smart and Tatum plus the picks had all to be given up to get Davis?
I don't think the price has changed at all.   it still depends on whether AD is willing to resign here.  as others have noted, his approach to his trade kicker would be a reasonable indicator as to his intentions.

top offer shouldn't exceed: Tatum, Smart, Williams, 3 number 1 picks.  If NO feels they can do better elsewhere, let them.

Knicks getting #3 isn't enough to beat out the C's offer.  Barrett and Knox aren't sufficient as centerpieces and any future first rounders don't project to be very high.

Lakers getting #4 isn't enough.  it's seen as a 3 player draft so they're on the outside looking in.  They're youth all have issues.  Ingram's health.  Ball's skills and family.  Kuzma and Hart are about where they project to be in terms of skill level.  Tatum's potential is higher than any of them and Smart is a proven player.  Williams is still loaded with potential to be a starting-quality center.

« Reply #2561 on: May 15, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Williams is from lousiana. 2 hours from new Orleans. He's a goner.

« Reply #2562 on: May 15, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I certainly do not trade 14, 19, 22, and next years Memphis pick for this years #4.  That is insane.  14 and Memphis MAYBE.  I agree Tatum is far superior to LAL or NYK player options at his cost especially.  I think they get 2 players (JB and MS would be my best fit for them honestly) plus Memphis and a pick this year.  Zion is a SF.  He is listed at 6'-7" tall.  He is not a PF.  I do not see JT and ZW as good fits.  I think I would rather give up JT to both the MS, JB, but My gut feeling is then would rather have the other two.

« Reply #2563 on: May 15, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think I would rather give up JT to both the MS, JB, but My gut feeling is then would rather have the other two.

I think they'll ask for Tatum and Brown, and settle for Tatum and Smart, along with several other assets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2564 on: May 15, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
This whole thing is going to depend on how high Griffin is on Tatum and the Memphis pick (the consensus I'm seeing is people think Memphis getting #2 means they will go tanking and that future pick is now more valuable but I don't know). Those are Boston's best assets going into this. Along with the other picks they can send out, what is the next best offer?

The Lakers' best asset is the #4 and then probably Kuzma, given the questions around Ingram.

The Knicks will throw everything they have if they think they're going to get a couple of big free agents this season so maybe they can put something together.

And then there are a lot of teams that aren't good enough to think they will be able to retain AD after next season. If Danny wants AD, he can get him. But as I said, it will all hinge on how much David Griffin likes Tatum and the Memphis pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008