Author Topic: A Perkins Trade Idea That Makes A Little Sense  (Read 5463 times)

Re: A Perkins Trade Idea That Makes A Little Sense
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We have no need at all for Perkins [EDIT] from a basketball perspective. Lottery teams don't need elite post defensive play, which is basically Perk's big asset.

Lottery teams could still at least use some adequate post defensive play.  Or maybe the Celtics should just go with a team built for smallball.

I disagree. A lottery team doesn't need an elite defensive post player. Only a contender needs that. If it - essentially doesn't matter if you win or not - why play much defense? Just put on a show man! He'd be like the one guy trying on D. Everyone else just gambles for steals/blocks. Playing man is hard work, it's boring  and complicated - and it's only interesting for the top 5% of basketball fans to watch.

I didn't say a lottery team needed an elite defensive post player, I said it could use a merely adequate post defender.

There's something to be said for not having a center whose defense is so worthless that young players learn bad habits trying to compensate for his suckitude. 

With a Rondo/Bradley backcourt and Brad Stevens as head coach, the Celtics are going to remain a defense-oriented team.  They're not going to be the Wizards.  They're not going to be Lob City East.  And thank God for that because that I would hate watching it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference