Author Topic: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?  (Read 18894 times)

Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I watched the game tonight, but I did not see him.

Re: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I dont think anybody showed up tonight. When Tatum misses two straight wide open threes u know it isnt your night.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He's had a very poor start to the season. Its not that he's missing shots, its that he looks lost on both sides of the floor and is making bad decisions that you would expect from a rookie, not from a 3rd year player who was one of your leading scores in a deep playoff run last year.

I think its more to do with the current roster meshing together and getting used to our sets than anything else.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:47:00 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
He's had a very poor start to the season. Its not that he's missing shots, its that he looks lost on both sides of the floor and is making bad decisions that you would expect from a rookie, not from a 3rd year player who was one of your leading scores in a deep playoff run last year.

I think its more to do with the current roster meshing together and getting used to our sets than anything else.

This and other teams are stepping up. The Celtics style of play and some players habits are the most well documented in the NBA. In the long run this won't matter as you still have to stop them, teams are going to find that harder as the Celtics mesh and they (other teams) have lost some of that early season desire to prove themselves.

Jaylen will come good and others will start to hit more shots, this is for sure. If the team was getting blown off the court I would worry but even a small improvement turns our loses around. And I trust in Brad.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 02:27:59 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Third game in four nights.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 03:25:27 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Our current pattern is W-L-W-L so therefore we are going to win on Thursday.

In all seriousness, the C's have two days off and should be no excuses to lose the next game at OKC. Expecting some breakout games from Kyrie and Tatum.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His recipe for success was to attack the basket and lurk for the corner three.    No one is really attacking the basket this year save Kyrie.   We are literally living and dying by the three and a team of jumpshooters.  This has to change.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
His recipe for success was to attack the basket and lurk for the corner three.    No one is really attacking the basket this year save Kyrie.   We are literally living and dying by the three and a team of jumpshooters.  This has to change.
agreed but Brad's offense has always been bomb from 3 and get what you can from defensive turnovers.  hate it with a passion.   we've got a few guys that offer mismatches with whomever defends them that we should be able to get more buckets in the post --> Al, Smart, Tatum, Brown and even Morris.   I know post play is like a foreign concept in today's NBA (oh what I'd give to see Kevin Mchale work his magic in the post again) but it's valuable as an option on offense when outside shots aren't falling (which has become the norm apparently this season).

considering how Jaylen has been completely lost this season, I'm starting to wonder if that abysmal showing in game 7 has gone to his head.   silly notion but if this poor play continues, I wonder if that disaster has affected him mentally

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does anybody remember Lebron’s first season with the Heat? Everybody was tentative with their roles, including Lebron and Wade. Too much deference to others.

That’s what we’re seeing here. Either Kyrie or Hayward needs to step up as the alpha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Does anybody remember Lebron’s first season with the Heat? Everybody was tentative with their roles, including Lebron and Wade. Too much deference to others.

That’s what we’re seeing here. Either Kyrie or Hayward needs to step up as the alpha.

It's a balancing act for sure.  The entire starting lineup seems too focused on getting others involved, as opposed to letting their instincts take over.  Brad expressed this concern in an interview before the season started. 

I completely agree that someone needs to assert themselves as an alpha, particularly early in games.  Thus far it feels like Kyrie waits until we are struggling before he starts looking for his offense.  I would like to see him attack right from the jump.  Hopefully this sets a tone for the rest of the team and then our motion offense will fall into place.  An aggressive mentality is contagious. 

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's what I'm seeing, too. The roles aren't as well defined as they have been the past two seasons.

Jaylen got used to being more than a 3-and-D player in the playoffs and spent the summer trying to get better but now, on this team, his best role is 3-and-D wing which probably feels like a move backward. But Kyrie, Hayward, and Tatum are all better ballhandlers and playmakers so there isn't going to be much opportunity for him to do more than what he did last season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

This is a real good point Roy and I think you have to mix in that some think Tatum may be the best player on the roster and he's a scorer. This needs to be sorted out. 

Looking at last night's numbers, Hayward was very good offensively in the minutes he played.  I have a feeling he can integrate himself at that end however is necessary.  Kyrie stunk the first half and that didn't help, but then he realized he needed to do more and he did.  It is going to take awhile.  And Jaylen in particular looks very tentative right now.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

This ^
Both players you name are recovering from injuries. Hayward is on restricted minutes and Kyrie is working himself into basketball condition. Both players are slowly looking better and better. Problem is the young players are not quite ready.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Morphing into Jeff Green before our eyes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Morphing into Jeff Green before our eyes.

Not close.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes