Author Topic: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17  (Read 43066 times)

Re: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Roy and every one else that had questions about the trade, appreciated the heck out of IT, and are going to wait for Kyrie to prove himself in the same manner as he did, don't deserve to be attacked.  His points have always been valid, and despite some solid quarters (and tonight), Kyrie does still have a long way to go to warrant that trade.  So let's play nice.  It's a big sandbox.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Where are all those loud Kyrie doubters now?

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

Nope.

You really don't think irvings defense this year has been better than IT's was all of last year (and the year before that)?

There were two parts of that clause. Defense was only one of them.

IT had a better assist rate and led a much more efficient offense than Kyrie has to date. The “better passer” argument isn’t supported by data.

Assist rate to USG ratio supports it.

TP you beat me to it.

« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Roy and every one else that had questions about the trade, appreciated the heck out of IT, and are going to wait for Kyrie to prove himself in the same manner as he did, don't deserve to be attacked.  His points have always been valid, and despite some solid quarters (and tonight), Kyrie does still have a long way to go to warrant that trade.  So let's play nice.  It's a big sandbox.

A long way?

He has made it to the finals 3 times and has won a ring

« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Where are all those loud Kyrie doubters now?

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

Nope.

You really don't think irvings defense this year has been better than IT's was all of last year (and the year before that)?

There were two parts of that clause. Defense was only one of them.

IT had a better assist rate and led a much more efficient offense than Kyrie has to date. The “better passer” argument isn’t supported by data.

9-2 record says hi Roy

Kyrie making it count when it matters

You replace Kyrie with a healthy IT4 + this lineup... We would not be 9-2...doubt it

Yep basically because IT would demand the ball instead of moving it to horford or tatum

i'd also like to bring up Horford's play as of late. Just the visual test (if anyone can back this up with data that'd be amazing) but I feel that Horford is definitely playing a lot better and more efficiently with Irving than he did with IT.

« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbLeJpoBNxE/

If nothing else, we should all love Kyrie because it seems to be SERIOUSLY getting under Lebron's skin how well he's doing over here. Lol

« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Where you saying the same thing after IT's first season here, when people said it was only one season, he is just a sixth Man?

I was. I doubted him all the way, until the first quarter of last year. I was wrong. I am not going to spend this season waiting to believe my eyes with Kyrie.

« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Where you saying the same thing after IT's first season here, when people said it was only one season, he is just a sixth Man?

I was. I doubted him all the way, until the first quarter of last year. I was wrong. I am not going to spend this season waiting to believe my eyes with Kyrie.

he is a tarheel, I dont think he likes Tatum either.

« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Not at all.  Loved IT from the jump and wanted to see him start ASAP.  I can't remember exact comments, but I'm sure my posts will definitely reflect that. 

Ogaju: I love me some Tatum. 

« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

A long way?

A long way.  A heck of a lot of other players would have, too.  And IT carried us farther than the vast majority ever imagined. 

« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Not at all.  Loved IT from the jump and wanted to see him start ASAP.  I can't remember exact comments, but I'm sure my posts will definitely reflect that. 

So you loved IT from the jump, yet Kyrie is playing much better ball than IT did (even to start his first full season), yet you doubt Kyrie?

I get the whole "well we lost the trade angle" (even if I think getting the best player is winning the trade in the NBA, and disagree), but I seriously don't get people arguing IT is a better player.

He isn't.

Not one GM in this league would trade Kyrie for IT straight up.

Yet some here seem to think that is in question.

It isn't.

Kyrie is simply a better player than IT, without question.

« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

So you loved IT from the jump, yet Kyrie is playing much better ball than IT did (even to start his first full season), yet you doubt Kyrie?

I get the whole "well we lost the trade angle" (even if I think getting the best player is winning the trade in the NBA, and disagree), but I seriously don't get people arguing IT is a better player.

He isn't.

It isn't.

I agree that there isn't a single GM that would trade Kyrie for IT straight up.  As I GM, I wouldn't fathom it, either.  But Kyrie's not the unanimously better player yet.  Can he be? Sure.  Is he already? It's possible, but he hasn't proven it yet imo. 

« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

A long way?

A long way.  A heck of a lot of other players would have, too.  And IT carried us farther than the vast majority ever imagined.

A heck of a lot of other players would have hit game winning 3 in Curry’s face in game 7 of the finals . Ok gotcha sir. And IT won 2 playoff series, that’s it , not like he was a 10 time all star or even a 4 time all star.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

A long way?

A heck of a lot of other players would have hit game winning 3 in Curry’s face in game 7 of the finals . Ok gotcha sir. And IT won 2 playoff series, that’s it , not like he was a 10 time all star or even a 4 time all star.

Kyrie's shot was a low percentage one.  And, LeBron James.

« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He isn't.

It isn't.

I agree that there isn't a single GM that would trade Kyrie for IT straight up.  As I GM, I wouldn't fathom it, either.  But Kyrie's not the unanimously better player yet.  Can he be? Sure.  Is he already? It's possible, but he hasn't proven it yet imo.

Kyrie is unstoppable .  He can split double teams like few can in this league

IT4 is not at the same level and can be trapped by a smart team. On the flipside the little guy is relentless

Look they are both all star calibre players.  But one guy has the extra gear over the other....

You will see realize this sooner than later.

Good for you to hold onto Rondo, IT4 memories/appreciation after they have left the team...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:44:42 PM by triboy16f »