Author Topic: Insider request: will Celtics make big moves?  (Read 6778 times)

Re: Insider request: will Celtics make big moves?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Don't waste more money on Sully and Zeller

I would resign Amir to reasonable contract

Amir has a team option

Amir is already under contract for next season, not an option.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Amir has a team option

It's non-guaranteed, so it has the practical effect of a team option.

The Celts have to make a decision on him by July 3, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Amir has a team option

No, he has a team option. It's our decision if we wish to exercise it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/10/amir-johnson-signing-will-help-celtics-become-flexible/3UlW3v1LVpDDcx8j94svoJ/story.htm
Several NBA executives at the Las Vegas Summer League, which kicked off Friday, lauded the team’s signing of workmanlike forward Amir Johnson, who played the past six seasons with the Toronto Raptors. Johnson signed a two-year, $24 million contract (the second year is not guaranteed), which was too rich for a Toronto team that wanted to improve defensively.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/10/amir-johnson-signing-will-help-celtics-become-flexible/3UlW3v1LVpDDcx8j94svoJ/story.htm
Several NBA executives at the Las Vegas Summer League, which kicked off Friday, lauded the team’s signing of workmanlike forward Amir Johnson, who played the past six seasons with the Toronto Raptors. Johnson signed a two-year, $24 million contract (the second year is not guaranteed), which was too rich for a Toronto team that wanted to improve defensively.

There's a technical difference, and a practical difference.  The technical one:  LC is right, Amir is under contract next year.  If the Celtics don't specifically waive him, he's on the team.  A team option requires us to affirmatively elect to keep him, and he's not under contract until that decision is made.

More practically, non-guaranteed contracts can be traded on draft night, whereas true team option contracts cannot, unless the team option is picked up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Amir has a team option

There's a technical difference, and a practical difference.  The technical one:  LC is right, Amir is under contract next year.  If the Celtics don't specifically waive him, he's on the team.  A team option requires us to affirmatively elect to keep him, and he's not under contract until that decision is made.

More practically, non-guaranteed contracts can be traded on draft night, whereas true team option contracts cannot, unless the team option is picked up.

That's weird because I've seen it specifically written as a team option

http://hoopshype.com/player/amir-johnson/salary/

Johnson is making a team-high $12 million this season, and set to make that amount next season as well. However, Johnson has a team option next season, which the Celtics may not activate.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/amir-johnson-brings-celtics-playoff-experience?p=ya5nbcs

This type of playoff series is why the Celtics were willing to sign Johnson to a two-year, $24 million contract this past offseason. The deal includes a team option for the second year.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/4/4/11364844/amir-johnson-signing-looks-better-with-every-passing-day

Soon details emerged of the deal's fine print. The Celtics were committing to give Johnson a bunch of money up front in exchange for a team option on the second year of the deal. Danny Ainge would maintain flexibility by having a $12 million non-guarenteed contract on the books for next summer which can be either freed up as cap space or traded.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Amir has a team option

Can the team option be picked up by draft night?

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Amir has a team option

Yes, the draft is June 23rd. I believe we have until the moratorium ends to make a decision. The moratorium runs from July 1-6 this year.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option

That's weird because I've seen it specifically written as a team option

http://hoopshype.com/player/amir-johnson/salary/

Johnson is making a team-high $12 million this season, and set to make that amount next season as well. However, Johnson has a team option next season, which the Celtics may not activate.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/amir-johnson-brings-celtics-playoff-experience?p=ya5nbcs

This type of playoff series is why the Celtics were willing to sign Johnson to a two-year, $24 million contract this past offseason. The deal includes a team option for the second year.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/4/4/11364844/amir-johnson-signing-looks-better-with-every-passing-day

Soon details emerged of the deal's fine print. The Celtics were committing to give Johnson a bunch of money up front in exchange for a team option on the second year of the deal. Danny Ainge would maintain flexibility by having a $12 million non-guarenteed contract on the books for next summer which can be either freed up as cap space or traded.

Is it really that weird that the media makes mistakes about technical nuances?  I mean, that last quote from Bob calls it both things, which is in and of itself contradictory. 

I'm surprised you're surprised.  CSNNE employs Sherrod, and you think it's weird the network got a detail wrong?  Or that an amateur blogger did?

Regardless, it's a non-guaranteed second year, technically.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Amir has a team option

Yes, the draft is June 23rd. I believe we have until the moratorium ends to make a decision. The moratorium runs from July 1-6 this year.

So one would assume Danny would pick up the option prior to the draft then

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option

IF a contract has a team option, it can generally be picked up prior to the draft.  That takes a lot of value out of the contract, though, because now the acquiring team is on the hook for a player's salary for the entire season, rather than having the ability to cut the player before the salary becomes guaranteed.

It's sort of moot regarding the Celtics, however, because I don't believe any of our vets have team options.  (Rookie options are subject to a different timeline).

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 09:39:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option

THERE IS NO OPTION.  PERIOD.  END OF STORY.  THERE'S A NON-GUARANTEED DEAL, WHICH DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ACTED ON PRIOR TO THE DRAFT AT ALL.  IT CAN BE TRADED AS IS.

PLEASE RE-READ THIS AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO REGISTER.

I so, so, SO hate the spread of misinformation on here, especially when others are taking the time to provide the proper information.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Amir has a team option

THERE IS NO OPTION.  PERIOD.  END OF STORY.  THERE'S A NON-GUARANTEED DEAL, WHICH DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ACTED ON PRIOR TO THE DRAFT AT ALL.  IT CAN BE TRADED AS IS.

I so, so, SO hate the spread of misinformation on here, especially when others are taking the time to provide the proper information.

Can you relax?? 

I'm merely trying to get a clarification here. Your post prior was anything but clear

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option

Can you relax?? 

I'm merely trying to get a clarification here. Your post prior was anything but clear

Respectfully, can you re-read, instead of muddying the waters?  It's okay to read something and let it digest before responding.  Spreading misinformation only hurts the membership, and makes us less informed.

[Amir's contract is] non-guaranteed, so it has the practical effect of a team option.

IF a contract has a team option, it can generally be picked up prior to the draft.  That takes a lot of value out of the contract, though, because now the acquiring team is on the hook for a player's salary for the entire season, rather than having the ability to cut the player before the salary becomes guaranteed.

It's sort of moot regarding the Celtics, however, because I don't believe any of our vets have team options.  (Rookie options are subject to a different timeline).

Once more, with feeling:  There are technical differences between non-guaranteed contracts and team options.  Non-guaranteed contracts can be traded on draft night, with the benefit that a player can later be waived, saving the acquiring team money / cap space.  That can't happen with team options.

Amir Johnson has a non-guaranteed deal, which is much more beneficial for both the Celtics and any potential trade partner.  The same is true of Jonas Jerebko.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Amir has a team option, does he not?

You just stated in big bold blue letters, he can traded "as is". No need to actually pick up the option prior to trade, in case the team he is traded to , has the flexibility to cut him

All I care about is ,his salary for next season picked up or not, can be used to obtain say a Jimmy Butler on draft night (salary match)

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amir has a team option, does he not?

You just stated in big bold blue letters, he can traded "as is". No need to actually pick up the option prior to trade, in case the team he is traded to , has the flexibility to cut him

All I care about is ,his salary for next season picked up or not, can be used to obtain say a Jimmy Butler on draft night (salary match)

Are you baiting me?  Can you please re-read any of my last several posts?

Amir has a NON-GUARANTEED deal.  This is DIFFERENT from a TEAM OPTION, for the reasons I have repeatedly explained.

NON-GUARANTEED deals are better, and can be TRADED on draft night.