Author Topic: C's trade idea: going big to compete  (Read 1783 times)

C's trade idea: going big to compete
« on: April 07, 2021, 04:14:01 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
First the disclaimers

* I know this trade will never happen
* This trade is just fantasy for fun & discussion
* I love Brown and hopes he retires a Celtic

Phoenix Suns: Brown, Williams III, Nesmith

Boston Celtics: Ayton, Bridges, Saric

Given CP3's age and they are on the clock with Devin Booker, the Suns get a two way star in Brown who is happy to play second fiddle. Williams III is perfect for pick and roll action with Booker, Brown or CP3. The Western Conference is wing heavy now and Timelord has enough length and athletism to bother both Golbert & Davis.

Ayton is someone who if developed right, can let us match up with Embiid, Giannis, Adebayo. Bridges can replace enough of Brown's defence and is reliable on catch and shoot offence too.

Celtics

Ayton
Tatum
Bridges
Smart
Walker

Suns

Williams III
Crowder
Brown
Booker
Paul
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:20:05 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: C's trade idea: going big to compete
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:13:12 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd rather be the Suns after that trade.  Getting the best player in the trade and Timelord would excel playing with CP3 and Booker.  Ayton isn't going to develop so much that he can match up with Embiid and Giannis. 

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not sure that swapping Nesmith for Bridges is that much of a win for the Celtics.  Bridges is better now but is 24 vs. Nesmith is only 21.  Things could look a lot different in 3 years plus Nesmith will still be on a rookie deal.

Next is RWilliams vs Saric.  This is definitely not a win for the Celtics.  Saric is a PF which fits but it doesn't seem we gain anything with this swap.

Then you look at Brown vs. Ayton, harder to compare since they play such different positions but this feels like a big loss for the Celtics.  A young athletic big is a nice add but would need to be a better version than Ayton to make it worth giving up Brown.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Nesmith is a lot more athletic than people realize.   He has to master a lot of other aspects of the game, including shooting and defense but athletically he has been a nice surprise who knew the kid had a 41-42 max vert?

I think we need a starting four, move Tatum to the three and Brown to the two guard and use Rob at the five.   

A lot of our problems involve lack of depth which I hope Fournier helps us in this regard.

I don't like the trade, for the above stated reasons in the thread above.   

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Bad trade. Jaylen is the #2 we need to put a #1 next to, not Tatum.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Bad trade. Jaylen is the #2 we need to put a #1 next to, not Tatum.

I'm beginning to see this as the path, and ask myself the question, is Tatum soft?  He might be the one to package in a major overhaul trade.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Creative idea, but seems driven more by how Embiid dominated us last night.  Short-sighted IMO.

Most of you are too young to remember this, but Wilt Chamberlain would consistently dominate Bill Russell most games they faced off.  Yet the Celtics always managed to win other than 1967, when Wilt was dominant and would not be denied. 

Embiid's play this season reminds me of how Wilt played in 66/67 season.  I don't mean in how he scored, or how he assisted (Wilt led NBA in assists that year IIRC).  But just in terms of figuring everything out that season.  I just think this is his season. 

The good news is I doubt it will last beyond this season.  Like Wilt, Embiid just doesn't seem to have the drive to continuously strive to win every time. That is what made Bill Russell special.  I think our team needs to incorporate that attitude more.  (Smart seems to have it, but lacks the mental discipline to implement it consistently). 

You never heard them saying this was Russell's team, or Cousy's team, or Havlicek's team.  Never.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Creative idea, but seems driven more by how Embiid dominated us last night.  Short-sighted IMO.

Most of you are too young to remember this, but Wilt Chamberlain would consistently dominate Bill Russell most games they faced off.  Yet the Celtics always managed to win other than 1967, when Wilt was dominant and would not be denied. 

Embiid's play this season reminds me of how Wilt played in 66/67 season.  I don't mean in how he scored, or how he assisted (Wilt led NBA in assists that year IIRC).  But just in terms of figuring everything out that season.  I just think this is his season. 

The good news is I doubt it will last beyond this season.  Like Wilt, Embiid just doesn't seem to have the drive to continuously strive to win every time. That is what made Bill Russell special.  I think our team needs to incorporate that attitude more.  (Smart seems to have it, but lacks the mental discipline to implement it consistently). 

You never heard them saying this was Russell's team, or Cousy's team, or Havlicek's team.  Never.
or when Wilt had 2 other HOFers in their prime on his team. 

I like Ayton a lot.  I think he could be a really good player for a very long time, but I wouldn't do that trade because I'm not sure Ayton tops out any better than Brown i.e. a top 20 borderline top 15 type player. 

Now if they were looking to move Ayton I'd absolutely do basically any of the young player and a bunch of draft picks to acquire him, but to add to Tatum and Brown, not instead of one of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip