Author Topic: 2012 Draft - All teams in the lottery?  (Read 6636 times)

2012 Draft - All teams in the lottery?
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
If the season gets canceled how does the 2012 draft order get decided? 2012 draft looks like it's going to be loaded with talent. With out a season, how are they going to determine who drafts where? I'd love to see all teams evenly in lottery.

Re: 2012 Draft - All teams in the lottery?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not going to happen.

There probably will be some formula that weighs the success of the team in the past couple of season.  Maybe all team will be in it.

But an even odds draft?  No way.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Not going to happen.

There probably will be some formula that weighs the success of the team in the past couple of season.  Maybe all team will be in it.

But an even odds draft?  No way.

I like your idea.  I'd like to see all teams in the lottery, but definitely not at even odds.  It's too loaded of a draft.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i read this somewhere before, either what the above said or theyre going to follow the NHL...

but yeh this upcoming draft is loaded...no worries =)
though I do want us to get Anthony Davis...

I'm watching UConn again tonight but Drummond has been disappointing so far

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
how did the NHL handle it?

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Found it:  "The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running."

So I guess that would prevent Cleveland from getting the #1 pick again.  First off, they just had the top pick.  Second, they had the best record in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Would be bad for Boston, though.  No top picks for us

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
You think this will all be over by May?

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Found it:  "The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running."

So I guess that would prevent Cleveland from getting the #1 pick again.  First off, they just had the top pick.  Second, they had the best record in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

I'd say the T-Wolves would be in line for a #1 given those criteria . . . terrible record for years and they haven't had a #1 overall pick since . . . Joe Smith?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Found it:  "The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running."

So I guess that would prevent Cleveland from getting the #1 pick again.  First off, they just had the top pick.  Second, they had the best record in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Would be bad for Boston, though.  No top picks for us

I'd say the T-Wolves would be in line for a #1 given those criteria . . . terrible record for years and they haven't had a #1 overall pick since . . . Joe Smith?

You mean the scandal that caused that saw them forfeit five first round picks? I'm still baffled that Taylor, the owner who presided over what Stern declared “one of the most far-reaching frauds we’ve seen” – is now the chairman of the NBA’s board of governors. But that's where we are.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

will we have 2 first rounders then? we have our own and the clippers...even if its not lottery, judging how strong this upcoming draft it, we can get some good players with our two draft picks

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

will we have 2 first rounders then? we have our own and the clippers...even if its not lottery, judging how strong this upcoming draft it, we can get some good players with our two draft picks

We won't know until the actual lottery is held. 

If the NBA follows the NHL model, the best we could do would be #1 (Celtics) and #11 (Clippers).  That would be fantastic, but also very unlikely.  However, there's also a very slim chance we could end up with #29 and #30. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
If the season gets canceled how does the 2012 draft order get decided? 2012 draft looks like it's going to be loaded with talent. With out a season, how are they going to determine who drafts where? I'd love to see all teams evenly in lottery.

I'd like to see all teams in, but with a weighting system that has already been mentioned.  In all honesty, I'd like to see all 30 teams in every year (again, with a weighted ratio).  Knowing that you'll be in the lottery no matter what could cut down on teams tanking at the end of the year.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

If the NBA follows the NHL model, the best we could do would be #1 (Celtics) and #11 (Clippers).  That would be fantastic, but also very unlikely.  However, there's also a very slim chance we could end up with #29 and #30. 

isnt the clippers pick guaranteed to be something protected? what does that mean

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

If Stern gets his way, Miami and the Knicks will alternate picks 1 through 6

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Found it:  "The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running."

So I guess that would prevent Cleveland from getting the #1 pick again.  First off, they just had the top pick.  Second, they had the best record in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Would be bad for Boston, though.  No top picks for us

If the NBA follows the NHL model, the best we could do would be #1 (Celtics) and #11 (Clippers).  That would be fantastic, but also very unlikely.  However, there's also a very slim chance we could end up with #29 and #30.  

isnt the clippers pick guaranteed to be something protected? what does that mean

If the Clippers pick ends up in the top 10 *after the lottery*, they keep it.  If it's anywhere between #11 and #30, it's ours.

If the NBA goes to an NHL model for the next draft, that pick could end up literally anywhere.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes