Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22453 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2020, 09:02:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Game? Here I thought it was his job that pays him MIILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
Don’t many employers give personal days to people so they can attend important events such as a birth?

Just disagree with calling the business that makes billions a game. NBA became a big time business thanks to Stern and TV.

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Don’t many employers give personal days to people so they can attend important events such as a birth?

Just disagree with calling the business that makes billions a game. NBA became a big time business thanks to Stern and TV.

It's a billion dollar business.  But the 'business' is the entertainment business.... they sell views of people playing a game.

This isn't the same as say, a 'life critical' business like making critical vaccine's or medical equipment or being a first-responder.  It isn't a business concerned with keeping the nation's shores safe from invaders.

It's an entertainment business.   And the entertainment they are selling is a game.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2020, 10:57:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

It's a billion dollar business.  But the 'business' is the entertainment business.... they sell views of people playing a game.

This isn't the same as say, a 'life critical' business like making critical vaccine's or medical equipment or being a first-responder.  It isn't a business concerned with keeping the nation's shores safe from invaders.

It's an entertainment business.   And the entertainment they are selling is a game.

Agree, maybe it is time not too pay them so much money. What they are doing is really not that important in the general scheme of things. Society has its priorities wrong in the allocation of scarce resources.

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Agree, maybe it is time not too pay them so much money. What they are doing is really not that important in the general scheme of things. Society has its priorities wrong in the allocation of scarce resources.

Thing is they generate a lot of income so yes they in turn will receive a lot of money.

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Yeah as cold as it sounds, I can’t help but feel the same way.  It’s also just a bit annoying too because we’re finally most likely gonna have a fully healthy roster, ready to go for the playoffs, and then this news breaks.

On another note, did we really have negative TPs at one time?? How do I not remember that?!

Yeah, this is definitely annoying. Hayward has missed his share of games this season already, and now this during the playoffs. I would be fine with it if it were just a day or two, but it could 5-6 days because of quarantine. Hayward is lucky he can afford to leave his JOB during a crucial moment. Not everyone else can do this. The guy makes over $30 mil a year and still gets to do whatever he wants. I'm old school and believe that the job is important because it supports the family. I know the Celtic organization has to kiss his butt, but I would like to see him get docked pay and fined like many of us in the real world. Flame suit is now donned.

A bold, but I think ultimately fair take.  It would be nice just once to see Hayward making headlines for something related to basketball.

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah as cold as it sounds, I can’t help but feel the same way.  It’s also just a bit annoying too because we’re finally most likely gonna have a fully healthy roster, ready to go for the playoffs, and then this news breaks.

On another note, did we really have negative TPs at one time?? How do I not remember that?!

Yeah, this is definitely annoying. Hayward has missed his share of games this season already, and now this during the playoffs. I would be fine with it if it were just a day or two, but it could 5-6 days because of quarantine. Hayward is lucky he can afford to leave his JOB during a crucial moment. Not everyone else can do this. The guy makes over $30 mil a year and still gets to do whatever he wants. I'm old school and believe that the job is important because it supports the family. I know the Celtic organization has to kiss his butt, but I would like to see him get docked pay and fined like many of us in the real world. Flame suit is now donned.

It sounds like you should be pouring your energy into making sure that you, and those around you, also have the ability to take off time for important things like the birth of a child.  Why not get mad at the people keeping you or others from doing what he's doing, rather than working/voting toward putting yourself and everyone else in a worse position?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

In the grand scheme of things, it really is.   Fathers leave their jobs all the time to go see their children being born.   Whether someone is unemployed, making minimum wage, or is a multimillionaire shouldn't matter.   I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are outraged over this hypothetical are doing it in their own self-interest of the laundry they root for.  Kids are born once, other games will be played.  And I'm not even a father yet.

would it be different to you if it was game 7 of a championship and it was the team's best player?

No.  Again, you're putting your own selfishness as a sports fan above all else.  Essentially, you don't give two [dang]s about the player's family because you're rooting for the laundry. 

It would be tough but I'm certainly going to accept it.

Gordon Hayward is getting paid close to $33M this year. Obviously family comes first to most people, but there have to be exceptions. In this hypothetical, it absolutely matters how much somebody is getting paid. Hayward is going to collect his massive salary this season and probably pick up the option to do so again next season. What does he have to lose?

Again, I understand why somebody would want to see the birth of their child, but I disagree that we shouldn't be critical of him. He signed a max contract with the team and is choosing to leave at what would be a very important time to the team. Honestly, I believe that he doesn't really care much for the team or city he is playing for...which is understandable with how he has been treated...but it isn't going to win him any fans.

Where do you get that? I 100% agree that he seems to put his family before the team (as he should, and as any player would), but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team.

Some things are just more important than basketball, and the birth of a child is one of them.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2020, 09:59:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

A bold, but I think ultimately fair take.  It would be nice just once to see Hayward making headlines for something related to basketball.
Was wondering how long it’d take you to make an appearance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I understand the quarantine time for Hayward returning to the bubble, after the birth of his child. However, will Hayward have to leave the bubble early to self-quarantine before the expected birth of his child? Since the estimated birth day is not an exact science, when will he leave? What state will his wife be in for the delivery? Does he leave the team about two weeks before the expected due date?

As a father of two children, words can’t express the rollercoaster of emotions on the day they were born and being in the delivery room. Gordon should be there for the delivery, and I couldn’t be happier for him. I want to see the Celtics win the title as much as anyone here, but I wouldn’t want it at the expense of Hayward missing out on the birth of his child. Some things are simply more important.

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I understand the quarantine time for Hayward returning to the bubble, after the birth of his child. However, will Hayward have to leave the bubble early to self-quarantine before the expected birth of his child? Since the estimated birth day is not an exact science, when will he leave? What state will his wife be in for the delivery? Does he leave the team about two weeks before the expected due date?

As a father of two children, words can’t express the rollercoaster of emotions on the day they were born and being in the delivery room. Gordon should be there for the delivery, and I couldn’t be happier for him. I want to see the Celtics win the title as much as anyone here, but I wouldn’t want it at the expense of Hayward missing out on the birth of his child. Some things are simply more important.

Zoom birth. 

Virtually the same as being there. Could gather the team around. Robin would be good with that, right? Child could know that hall-of famers Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and dad were all present at his/her birth prior to their first title together.

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Jesus, he's not going to miss the birth of his child over a professional sport. Get over it.

Put yourself in his shoes, would you be okay with leaving your wife behind while she is in labor? What if she had passed away during maternal labor? At end of the day, you cannot have it both ways.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:03:16 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Zoom birth. 

Virtually the same as being there. Could gather the team around. Robin would be good with that, right? Child could know that hall-of famers Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and dad were all present at his/her birth prior to their first title together.

Lol. You may need to dial down the tint on those green colored glasses.

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Zoom birth. 

Have to agree here.  It's not exactly like it's their first child.  It's their fourth.  It's pretty well worn territory at this point. There's no reason not to telecommute to this event since the odds are good he won't be allowed into the delivery room anyways with the covid restrictions. 

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Zoom birth. 

Have to agree here.  It's not exactly like it's their first child.  It's their fourth.  It's pretty well worn territory at this point. There's no reason not to telecommute to this event since the odds are good he won't be allowed into the delivery room anyways with the covid restrictions.
How many children do you have?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »

Offline President Red

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 40
There's no reason not to telecommute to this event since the odds are good he won't be allowed into the delivery room anyways with the covid restrictions.

Putting aside the notion that GH would (or should) participate in the birth via a monitor while simultaneously playing Fortnite, I will note that my son was born just two months ago, and I was permitted in the delivery room while masked.  (As a result of appropriate pre-natal care, of course, the baby emerged masked as well.)