Author Topic: Is Yabu a bust?  (Read 8478 times)

Re: Is Yabu a bust?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Brad Stevens was an elite coach he would know how to utilize Yabu.

Even elite coaches can't turn guys without NBA-level skills into useful NBA players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Yabu’s a bust but it’s not the worst thing that could happen. Dude wasn’t a lottery pick and not all 1st rounders stick around anyhow.
- LilRip

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 12:40:03 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If I’m remembering correctly, didn’t Ainge seek a stash for salary cap reasons? Was it the summer he chased Horford and Durant?

He’s a great personality for an end of bench guy and probably good in the locker room. This is only his second NBA season, and he’s still just 23, so I don’t think all hope is lost. He doesn’t get enough burn but Brad always speaks highly of him in practice.

Sure others drafted after him could have been more useful now, but Ainge didn’t want to draft a player he needed to sign (and nobody slipped to him that was can’t-miss) that summer.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yabu is a bust. Nice guy by all reports, but a bust non-the-less.

I get that his athleticism for a guy of his build makes him intriguing to some. But, I don't understand why he hasn't made the effort to change his physique to better suit the sport. I've seen no visible change in 3 years. Also, I would wager that if he played more minutes, he'd have constant injury problems. He's built different than Sullinger, but I think he's really the same story.

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
If Brad Stevens was an elite coach he would know how to utilize Yabu.

Even elite coaches can't turn guys without NBA-level skills into useful NBA players.
I was being sarcastic, did i you the wrong font?

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Danny has only made 3 good picks anyway, and 2 were picked 3rd.

Not exactly a strength Danny has.
Jefferson, Rondo, Perk, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Williams (looks good so far), Rozier (good until this season), Olynyk (gripe about wanting Giannis all you want [collective 'you] but Olynyk's still a solid player), Bradley, Big Baby, Gomes, Powe, Semi, Moore.  even Sully was a good pick for where he was selected - just couldn't stay in shape.

oh, and let's not forget that extra pick we're getting for the privilege of drafting Tatum 3rd.  for that matter, throw in Gerald Green who's still in the NBA and was a good enough asset to use in the deal for KG.

I think Danny does just fine drafting.

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Some people were surprised that DA picked up Yabu's salary this summer.  The reason is simple.  Yabu is nothing more than salary filler at this point.

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Hard to say that a 23 year old playing in his 2nd NBA season is a bust. Especially one that hasn't had much of a chance to play.
It is his 3rd year isn't it?

It can't be only 2 years. Feels like he has been around (and stagnating) here for ages.

Only 2 years.

486 of NBA floor time for his career.

499 including the playoffs. Only played 30 minutes of D-League basketball this season. And almost all of that came in garbage time. Lots of games where he played less than 3 minutes. Those count as zero minutes for developmental purposes.

Any type of judgment on Yabusele will be very premature. Lots of top-15 rookies get that playing time in the first 15-20 games of the season.

I was always a bit skeptical of Yabusele because he was very bad defensively in Europe. Worthy prospect otherwise. Can't improve defensively without playing time though. So more of a victim of circumstances (very deep team) than a bust.

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2019, 05:53:19 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If I’m remembering correctly, didn’t Ainge seek a stash for salary cap reasons? Was it the summer he chased Horford and Durant?

He’s a great personality for an end of bench guy and probably good in the locker room. This is only his second NBA season, and he’s still just 23, so I don’t think all hope is lost. He doesn’t get enough burn but Brad always speaks highly of him in practice.

Sure others drafted after him could have been more useful now, but Ainge didn’t want to draft a player he needed to sign (and nobody slipped to him that was can’t-miss) that summer.

I think it was more roster spot issues than salary. That was the year we had like 8 picks
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Absolutely.

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No - his salary will help facilitate an Anthony Davis trade.

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2019, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think he could be a champion

in a hotdog eating contest

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones