Poll

Do you believe the Celtics can still come back from down 3-1?

Yes
14 (41.2%)
No
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?  (Read 22325 times)

Re: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Advice to Brad (which he won't heed):

Shake things up. Start RW3.  Bring Theis off the bench. Come out with intense defensive pressure.  Let it all hang out, baby.
Might as well. Nothing to lose at this point.

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.

+/- is so wacky. 

Herro was a -4 last night. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Shake things up. Start RW3.  Bring Theis off the bench. Come out with intense defensive pressure.  Let it all hang out, baby.

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.

+/- is so wacky. 

Pretty much.  Robert Williams can be effective in short spurts but I think we would see diminishing returns with increased minutes.  Miami is able to get wide open threes at will when forcing Williams into P&R situations. 

Last nights loss can be attributed to the turnovers in the 4th quarter.  It's becoming groundhog day with the scoring droughts.

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.

+/- is so wacky. 

Fair enough. But in about 1/3 the same minutes, Rob had same number of assists (1), 2 less turnovers (2-0), same number of offensive rebounds (4), a critical steal off of Bam, I mean, he matches up so much better vs Bam, it seems obvious.  Can't promise it will make a difference, but just as starting Gerald Green in game 3 vs the Bulls shook things up a few years ago, I think Brad ought to consider doing this. (he won't)

The other option would be replacing Smart with Hayward in the starting lineup.  Bring Smart in when Heat bring in Herro.  Doubt this will be done, though.

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.

+/- is so wacky. 

Fair enough. But in about 1/3 the same minutes, Rob had same number of assists (1), 2 less turnovers (2-0), same number of offensive rebounds (4), a critical steal off of Bam, I mean, he matches up so much better vs Bam, it seems obvious.  Can't promise it will make a difference, but just as starting Gerald Green in game 3 vs the Bulls shook things up a few years ago, I think Brad ought to consider doing this. (he won't)

The other option would be replacing Smart with Hayward in the starting lineup.  Bring Smart in when Heat bring in Herro.  Doubt this will be done, though.

I will probably get roasted for this, but how about replacing Kemba in the starting lineup with Hayward?  Hayward and Smart can run the point and it would be helpful defensively.  Kemba has not been a world beater this round (or last round, for that matter) and I think he can feast off the bench and bring instant offense.  We can still finish with him, but how about just giving Miami a different look with the starting lineup and having some scoring off the bench?

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.

+/- is so wacky. 

I will probably get roasted for this, but how about replacing Kemba in the starting lineup with Hayward?  Hayward and Smart can run the point and it would be helpful defensively.  Kemba has not been a world beater this round (or last round, for that matter) and I think he can feast off the bench and bring instant offense.  We can still finish with him, but how about just giving Miami a different look with the starting lineup and having some scoring off the bench?

Count me in.

« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2020, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The Celtics TEAM needs to read this thread and decide what they want to do.

Are they going to play HARD for AT LEAST 44 minutes - at which point we'd probably break MIA's will....?

Or will they have the same inconsistent play - with the bone-headed late game mistakes?

No matter how much TALENT we have if you lack GUILE and TOUGHNESS then it won't matter AT ALL.

Right now Jimmy Butler has HIS GUYS believing - and on the cusp of going to play LAL.

Stay tuned.

Re: Down 2-0, Do You Believe?
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Limit turnovers and we win 3 in a row...one task

Yeah, I would think that if we can just reduce our turnovers we have a chance.  19 turnovers isn't going to win anything in the playoffs.  We gave them 9 more FG attempts than us partly from our bad TOs.  In a close game that is pretty much the difference in the game.

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah at this point I'd say what the heck, let's start Hayward and Rob Williams just to see what happens.

Of course, the problem is that the beginning of games is not where these games have been won.  The Celts might build an early lead off some kind of lineup adjustment, but in the fourth quarter are they gonna be able to hold off the Heat? 

To come back from 3-1 you need to do everything really well, if not perfect, and you need your opponent to fall apart a little.

Honestly I think the only hope for the Celts would be if Bam is significantly limited by injury.  Otherwise I think we're talking about expecting the Celts to drastically change who they are.  Too late for that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not so much. Nope.

Hard to beat a team like Miami -- an explosive three point shooting team -- three straight times in today's NBA. You can do everything right and still lose just because they get hot at the wrong moment.

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Nope. Still rooting for them until it's over. Hope they force at least a Game 6.

« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Still believe! Each game Miami has won has been by 5 points or less, has gone down to the wire and required a superhuman performance from one of them to beat us. If we can put together a 48 minute game we have the talent to win 3 in a row. (let's just overlook the fact that we haven't put together a 48 minute game yet )

I did get my Celtics in 6 prediction wrong though  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Yeah at this point I'd say what the heck, let's start Hayward and Rob Williams just to see what happens.

Of course, the problem is that the beginning of games is not where these games have been won.  The Celts might build an early lead off some kind of lineup adjustment, but in the fourth quarter are they gonna be able to hold off the Heat? 

To come back from 3-1 you need to do everything really well, if not perfect, and you need your opponent to fall apart a little.

Honestly I think the only hope for the Celts would be if Bam is significantly limited by injury.  Otherwise I think we're talking about expecting the Celts to drastically change who they are.  Too late for that.

The Celtics might win Game 5 if they throw the Heat off by changing their up starting lineup. Start Theis PF and Williams at Center. Jaylen Brown SG, Tatum SF, Walker PG. Have Smart and Hayward come off the bench. Play GWill and Kanter.

If we gonna lose, then at least go out with a bang and not lose by bricking 3's all over the place it's becoming redundant lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2020, 12:45:12 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

The Celtics might win Game 5 if they throw the Heat off by changing their up starting lineup. Start Theis PF and Williams at Center. Jaylen Brown SG, Tatum SF, Walker PG. Have Smart and Hayward come off the bench. Play GWill and Kanter.

If we gonna lose, then at least go out with a bang and not lose by bricking 3's all over the place it's becoming redundant lol.

Oh, if this team loses, you can be sure that "bricking 3's all over the place" will be a big reason why, LOL.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2020, 02:36:51 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Nope. Still rooting for them until it's over. Hope they force at least a Game 6.
Same. I'm just hoping that they show us SOMETHING. Another level that they can reach now that their backs are truly against the wall. Probably not tho, and I've accepted it.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No.  Smart is the only one on the court locked in and executing to win on each play.

And Stevens is just too passive
LOL. Smart?? He was our worst player that got significant minutes in G4!

Given how close we are with the mistakes we've made, I still think we have a chance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)