Poll

Do you believe the Celtics can still come back from down 3-1?

Yes
14 (41.2%)
No
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?  (Read 22349 times)

Re: Down 2-0, Do You Believe?
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I no longer believe  :(

They could win Game 5 but Miami should have this series in the bag.
This.  C'mon we need brutal honest objectivity to answer this question.

Re: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

Taking off my Green-Tinted glasses. It's time to smell the coffee.

Us losing to MIA at this point is a Mercy Killing.

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
No.  Smart is the only one on the court locked in and executing to win on each play.

And Stevens is just too passive

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Difficult to answer this one.  A focused and urgent Celtics team is capable of making a comeback.  Unfotunately, I can't dismiss the reality that Miami is likely to have a key run of clutch shot making at some point.  It's all they've done the entire post-season. 

I guess you can count me as a non-believer.  It would take an implosion from Miami to lose 3 in a row and there's nothing to lead me believe this could happen.

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I still think we have a good enough team to beat Miami.
We'll take it 1 by 1 by 1 game, and hope we finish at the top.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
They've lost two games in the playoffs so far.  I just don't see them losing three in a row.

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:43 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I mean, I said I still believed when they were down 0-2, so why the heck not at this point?

If they play their game, they should win. I just don't know if they can do it three straight games in a row now.  They really dug themselves a hole.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
No.  Smart is the only one on the court locked in and executing to win on each play.

And Stevens is just too passive

Smart killed them last night. He was awful. Horrible shot selection, terrible turnovers.

He's certainly not the only reason they lost, but I can not understand how you could have watched that game and think he executed anything well. It was quite possibly the worst game I ever saw him play.

« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
The Heat are just on a different level in terms of focus and execution.

The Celtics need a couple more veteran guys. Guys who have been there before. Celts are a year or two too young and a couple guys short.

It's tough to watch but also feels like they're losing to a team the deserves to beat them.

I don't exactly understand why the Celts are so bad at executing in the fourth quarter or why the Heat are so much better, but I don't feel like a team that I trust so little in the fourth quarter deserves to make the finals.
I think we keep telling ourselves the bolded part to make us feel better, but we got schooled by a 20 year old rookie last night.  Why wasn't he too young?  Literally no one else on the Heat was a difference maker last night.  21 points for Butler?  Adebayo had a good game and Dragic was steady, but nothing out of the ordinary.

This entire series has come down to focus and execution.  The Celtics have been the better team when they have been locked in and not making ridiculously stupid, careless turnovers.  They are referred to as the best defensive team in the bubble but literally could not get a stop in the second half last night.  The only reason the Celtics got back into the game was that they got hot from 3 and traded 3 for 2 every time down the court.  The defensive energy and focus was not there - too many switches into mismatches and no discipline rotating to the roller or the open shooter.  AND, for crying out loud, please secure a defensive rebound on the one or two plays that you actually stop the first shot!

I truly feel like the Heat have done nothing to beat us and that we have beaten ourselves.  I have a feeling that the mood and demeanor in that locker room is somber and ready to go home.

As I have said in an earlier post, let's not look forward to future years - the East is only going to get tougher.  This was the Celtics best chance to get to the finals with this core and they blew it.  I am not sure what Danny can do from here to shake it up, but it may be time for a drastic change going into next season.

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yes, I still believe the Celtics are the more talented team.

Unfortunately, when you have an amateur coach who is in over his head this is the result.

It is what is and I've accepted it. If a miracle happens and they somehow overcome this obstacle, I'll be thrilled. I just don't expect it.

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The Heat are just on a different level in terms of focus and execution.

The Celtics need a couple more veteran guys. Guys who have been there before. Celts are a year or two too young and a couple guys short.

It's tough to watch but also feels like they're losing to a team the deserves to beat them.

I don't exactly understand why the Celts are so bad at executing in the fourth quarter or why the Heat are so much better, but I don't feel like a team that I trust so little in the fourth quarter deserves to make the finals.
I think we keep telling ourselves the bolded part to make us feel better, but we got schooled by a 20 year old rookie last night.  Why wasn't he too young?  Literally no one else on the Heat was a difference maker last night.  21 points for Butler?  Adebayo had a good game and Dragic was steady, but nothing out of the ordinary.

This entire series has come down to focus and execution.  The Celtics have been the better team when they have been locked in and not making ridiculously stupid, careless turnovers.  They are referred to as the best defensive team in the bubble but literally could not get a stop in the second half last night.  The only reason the Celtics got back into the game was that they got hot from 3 and traded 3 for 2 every time down the court.  The defensive energy and focus was not there - too many switches into mismatches and no discipline rotating to the roller or the open shooter.  AND, for crying out loud, please secure a defensive rebound on the one or two plays that you actually stop the first shot!

I truly feel like the Heat have done nothing to beat us and that we have beaten ourselves.  I have a feeling that the mood and demeanor in that locker room is somber and ready to go home.

As I have said in an earlier post, let's not look forward to future years - the East is only going to get tougher.  This was the Celtics best chance to get to the finals with this core and they blew it.  I am not sure what Danny can do from here to shake it up, but it may be time for a drastic change going into next season.

I'm certainly not telling myself that just to feel better.  If anything, it's the reality of the situation. Herro had an amazing night but it's not like the Heat rely on him to be one of their best players every single night.  He's in a perfect role.

Historically, it's VERY rare to see a team get to the Finals by relying on a 22 and 23 year old to be the best players throughout the duration of a playoff run.  The 2011 Thunder was the last group to make it under those circumastances.  Prior to that, you had the Cavs in 2006 and the Magic in 1995. 

In order for the Celtics to be a true contender, they need/ed Kemba or Hayward to provide more.  It would be interesting to see where this team would be if Gordon hadn't gotten hurt.  Maybe I'm not being critical enough, but I had long accepted that the Celtics would need to channel the 2004 Pistons in order to be a true contender.  Tatum and Brown aren't quite ready to carry the load each and every night.

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I just want to see them respond in game 5. One game at a time. Show some pride and come out with physicality from the start.

« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2020, 11:13:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Advice to Brad (which he won't heed):

Shake things up. Start RW3.  Bring Theis off the bench. Come out with intense defensive pressure.  Let it all hang out, baby.

Theis was minus 14 in plus/minus.

Rob was plus 10.

Your team is 1-3 vs Heat, Brad.   Time for a fundamental adjustment, dude.

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2020, 11:17:00 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Shake things up. Start RW3.  Bring Theis off the bench. Come out with intense defensive pressure.  Let it all hang out, baby.
Might as well. Nothing to lose at this point.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Might as well. Nothing to lose at this point.

Theis minus 14.

Rob plus 10. 

No brainer.