Author Topic: What does our roster look like next year?  (Read 27807 times)

Re: What does our roster look like next year?
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Buckner didn't say that Brown wasn't in the same stratosphere as Simmons overall (although that's implied by the rest of his post); he actually said that Brown isn't in the same stratosphere as Simmons defensively - which is perplexing to say the least.

I can buy the argument that Simmons is [currently] a better basketball player than Brown, but defense is Brown's calling card and that is never going away.
Oh I missed it. I actually agree with him - I think the bulk of Simmons' impact comes from defence, while Brown is more balanced on both sides of the court. But I absolutely disagree with the opinion that Simmons is more talented than Brown: while Simmons is slightly better right now (top 30ish player compared to top 40 player), he's close to his ceiling while Brown can improve much more with incremental improvements to his game.
Yeah I disagree. Philadelphia doesn't even use Simmons correctly in their system. He won't shoot from the perimeter. He's barely scratching the surface of how good he could be if those two things weren't the case. In a more open read and react free-flowing system like ours vs the offense based on dumping the ball into a big man and just standing around Simmons' talents could be supported instead of his weaknnesses exposed by the system.
His situational value in certain setups is irrelevant - I've been talking about their "goodness" (basically the lift they provide to an average strength team by attempting to take a number of setups into account with varying degrees of fit, which is much better than just comparing situational value: players produce different value in different situations). Simmons is not that much better than Brown in that regard and doesn't really have much more room to grow, while Brown has the potential to jump up at least a couple of tiers.
I'm not talking situational value, I'm talking player development. And that means putting players in systems that accentuate their skills like Brad has done for Brown and like Brett Brown has not done for Simmons. Sure Jaylen could jump a couple of tiers but Simmons is on a higher tier than him anyway with completely undeveloped and unutilized skills. Simmons could be a Top 10 player in the game and I just can't say that about Jaylen, as much as I love him.
Simmons would be a top ten player if he could shoot 33% from three and 70% from the free throw line, two things which do not seem like they could ever happen.
Well if you wanna get technical, he's shooting 33% from 3 now so you're flat out wrong. As for the FT % guys really need to work with him on his shot, and I really think he has a confidence issue. But he's 23 years old and this is just his 3rd season. There's nowhere near enough evidence to make your assessment about his future credible. But I think he's gonna have to leave Philly to get there.
On...6 attempts, lots of players have shot decent percentages on minuscule sample sizes. And there's nowhere near enough evidence to make your assessment about his future credible either, especially when your premise is based upon him developing something he has never shown in his 3 year career so far. This isn't saying something like prime Kevin Garnett would be shooting 3s at a decent clip if he played today because he shot 32.5% on 277 3 point attempts over a 4 year stretch during his prime years on a team that eschewed frontcourt players from taking or even practicing shooting threes, this is talking about a player who has taken 24 three point attempts in 236 games and has only made 2 of them on a team that desperately needs spacing around its MVP calibre centre. The burden of proof is on your side if you want to convince us that he'll magically grow into an able shooter and half court creator from just a simple change of scenery, not ours.

You want me to say that there's no proof either way? Done. That's exactly my argument. 6 attempts this year is barely a worse sample size to make an assessment with than 24 attempts that you're trying to take me to task over. For all either of us know he buries them in practice. In fact, reports have suggested that very thing. I mean c'mon, you literally just wrote it. 24 attempts in 236 games. That's not a bad shooter. That's a guy who is afraid to shoot. And how many of those 24 were heaves at the end of a shot clock or quarter? You don't want me to speak in absolutes? So be it. But don't sit here and tell me that you KNOW he'd never be able to shoot 33% on high volume because there is no sample size of high volume that indicates that. That's my only point.

Effectively, it's the same thing.  Being unwilling to shoot is every bit as bad for an offense, it lets the defense know they can ignore you when you don't have the ball in your hands, and forces your team to play at a major disadvantage.

If Ben Simmons was at all a capable shooter and still was unwilling to shoot he'd deserve to be sat on the bench.  But maybe the reason he's so unwilling to shoot threes is because he simply can't.

This article came out less than 2 weeks ago:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29074004/ben-simmons-hears-talk-process-not-public-experiment

One notion the young Sixers star doesn't mind sharing: He craves being challenged, even admonished. He knows he needs it, even though he wishes he didn't.

"My weakness," Simmons says, "is I need to have someone make me accountable. The goal is to be accountable to myself.

It is a perpetual talking point that doggedly follows Simmons. In December, when he connected on a 3 against Cleveland in a blowout win, Brown announced he expected Simmons to take "a minimum of one 3-pointer every game, and you can pass it along to his agent, family and friends."

Simmons attempted just two in the subsequent three months.

Boyle offered his own solution on how to coax Simmons into action: Threaten him. It's a technique, Boyle insists, that Simmons has responded to before, especially considering his thirst for accountability.

"If I were in charge of the Sixers, I'd tell him, 'If you don't take a pull-up jumper and a perimeter shot in each half -- I don't care about your percentages -- you're sitting,'" Boyle says.

"I told Ben, 'If you aren't willing to shoot, then do I just bench you? Because I can do that,'" Brown says. "We could have gone that route or continue to coach him as it relates to spacing. We worked on the ability to use it as a choice to shoot the 3, catch and go, get in the paint, or find someone else.

"This was all discussed. I opted to take this path. I think only down the road will we be able to truly assess if it was the right one. In the meantime, he's a two-time All-Star, a kid that's gone from a college 4 to an NBA point guard. His story is a pretty darn good one."

I'm convinced this is a COACHING problem. The reason why Brown is going to get fired is because there is no accountability and he thinks everything is just fine. I remain unconvinced that if Simmons was being coached by Brad Stevens he would be held accountable. You say he should be benched? His high school coach agrees with you. And so do I for that matter. Point I'm making is that I think there may exist at least a mediocre 3-point shooter in there but nobody is trying to find it.

You say maybe he's just a bad shooter? I'll accept "maybe". But we have no idea and that's a lot different than saying he's DEFINITELY a bad shooter or that he will NEVER be a capable shooter. Because there is simply no data to suggest "never".
And there's even less data to suggest that he can be a capable shooter. The most likely outcome is that he'll never be a capable shooter (yes it's not maybe, it's very likely), saying that there's a minuscule chance of him making a GOAT level leap in shooting doesn't really make him more valuable or better than Brown, which is what started this whole thing.
You're missing the point then. Simmons is already more valuable than Brown right now before taking even a modest leap. He's a better ballhandler, defender, passer, rebounder, finisher at the rim. He's more versatile at both ends of the floor and it's not really close at all. He's the kind of player GM's would build a team around whereas Brown is decidedly not. And it's still too early to pass those judgements when it's pretty clear that his coaching has stunted his development. If/when Brown gets fired, we'll see.
I didn't miss it, I simply disagree with it. Simmons isn't that much better than Brown right now and he's closer to his likely ceiling than Brown. Both players are guys who GMs would view as a potential tertiary piece on a championship team, but Brown has the potential to be a clear cut #2 guy while Simmons does not unless he makes that GOAT level shooting leap you've been suggesting.

Brown is not going to be the #2 guy on this team or ANY team for a while. He's arguably the #4 guy right now and that's not changing any time soon if Brad has anything to say about it.
Not sure why a 20+ scorer with an elite 59% TS% (while actually being able to hit the side of a barn from outside the paint) at 23 years of age has such a limited ceiling, especially when you've been raving about Simmons for a couple of pages.

Brown has had two years where he's undergone massive, borderline MIP-worthy level improvements in his game, whereas your binkie Simmons hasn't really improved on offence at all. His efficiency is slightly better, but overall his offensive game has regressed. Career lows in OBPM, OWS and all his FG% between 3 feet and the 3 point line. Simmons has also regressed as a rebounder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First things first. I read that and I totally hate myself right now. Because on another board I've defended Brown like crazy. Especially at the beginning of the year when a number of people thought the book was written on Brown and didn't think he was capable of improving. I was at the Garden Party when we drafted him to a cascade of boos and questioned looks. I met Gorman that night. Let me tell you, Gorman looked like he about shat a Buick trying to process the drafting of Jaylen. I'm proud of Brown's improvement. And even prouder of his humanitarian work off the court. I love Jaylen to death. Glad we have him. And despite how my opinion may come off, I'm actually glad that you guys are defending him as hard as you are.

The real truth is that this trade is never going to happen anyway. You're right about Simmons offensive game. 100% It has not improved at all from Day 1 to now. As I've said, I blame that less on him, and more on coaching. That ESPN article I cited all but confirms that lackluster coaching and zero accountability in Philly plays a huge role in why he has yet to develop more. Having 2 players who occupy the same space in the offense like that is problematic. My contention is that if Simmons were drafted by Boston and developed in Stevens' system instead of Jaylen, you would be laughing at the mere hint of comparing Jaylen to Ben because Brad would have utilized his skills correctly.

Be that as it may, Simmons is a borderline lock to make an All-Defensive team this year whereas last year Jaylen has every veteran on the team including Marcus yelling at him to be in the right place on defense. This year Jaylen is the only regular rotation player to post a negative net rating. His team defense still leaves a ton to be desired. At 6'10, Simmons can switch 1-5. He leads the league in steals. At 6'10 he's leading the league in steals. Simmons is 8th in DefBox +/- (don't ask where Brown ranks). He's a better rebounder (the addition of Al Horford plays a role in why he rebounding numbers have dropped a little) than Brown has ever been. Brown can't even see his level as a passer...ever. His offensive game has regressed because Philly has no SPACING!!!! there are no more shooters to keep the lane open anymore. Teams can load up on Simmons' drives now because nobody is going to beat them on the perimeter. This flat out refusal to see context is almost alarming. That Simmons puts up the numbers he does in the missile sylo that is the Philly offense makes them that much more impressive given what they have lost and the conditions he has to work with. Simmons has barely scratched the surface of how good he could be if he wasn't playing in Philadelphia this year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »

Offline CelticsCeltics

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Here’s a scenario for the offseason that I have imagined.  I know it is probably unrealistic but that’s okay.

Tatum and Brown are awesome.  They will both be all-stars next year and for many years after that so I am confident we will be competitive from this point until the Tatum/Brown era is over.

The improvements that my scenario are making to the roster are: getting a big man that can defender larger centers plus replicate what Al Horford can bring (2017 playoff run with Brown and Tatum), and adding elite 3-point shooters to the bench and scoring overall from the bench since that is a major weakness of this years team

Move number 1 (Trade for Wendell Carter):

Wendell Carter to Boston for Romeo Langford, Robert Williams iii, 17th pick

Wendell Carter is a very good young center who is a smart and strong defensive player who adds much needed size to the center position (Theis is awesome too btw).. Carter is only 6’10 but his wingspan is 7’5” and he probably weighs about 250 so he could theoretically attempt to contain Embiid... offensively he hasn’t shot the ball well from 3 but hopefully he can develop into a good shooter like Horford did

Move 2 (somehow get Bertans):

Now, I love shooters like Bertans.  He’s one of the best shooters in the league period.  He shoots it off movement, off the catch, from deep range, contested, you name it.  Having a nuclear shooter like this off the bench spreading the floor for our young wings will be a massive weapon for this team... apparently the Wizards rejected some serious offers for him this past trade deadline but maybe they have a change of heart and decide to trade Beal and decide to rebuild instead... maybe he can be had in a sign and trade scenario...

Davis Bertans (sign and trade 4yrs/50mil) to Boston for Enes Kanter (who would have to pick up his option), Semi Ojeleye, whatever salary filling is needed, and the 26th pick

Now this scenario is admittedly pretty ridiculous.  Washington clearly wants to keep Bertans plus Danny Ainge giving up a first round pick always feels unlikely let alone giving up a pick just to get a team to agree to sign and trade a player to you... whatever just bare with me

Draft: Patrick Williams
Sign: Harry Giles, Alonzo Trier
Re-construct Gordon to 4 yr 100 mil

Final product:

Kemba — Smart — Water
Jaylen — Trier — Edwards
Jayson —              — P Williams
Gordon — Bertans — Grant
Wendell — Theis — Giles

That’s a pretty good, well-rounded roster with finally shooting off the bench in the form of Bertans.  And finally a really good, large big man.

The one hole is a back-up wing who can shoot.  Dream scenario is Luke Kenard but he’s going to command a huge contract this off-season.

So questions: expanding on my scenario... who fills the hole as a back-up shooting wing ?

Fan of Wendell Carter?  Would Christian Wood be a better target?

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2020, 11:54:56 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
The Celtics have had a great season. They have found a very delicate balance of playing time and shots for Tatum, Kemba,Brown and Hayward. Theis has been amazing but with next year being his last year signed he could be up for a payday.

The Celtics bench has really been
Smart taking a huge chunk of the minutes
Kanter
Wannamaker
and a switch between Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye

This is not accounting for Romeo Langford,trent waiter,carson Edwards and tack fall.

The starters take a huge chunk of shots which leaves not to many shots for the bench. Wannamaker is a free agent who is unlikely to resign due to the Celtics severely limited cap space in the coming future.The Celtics have three more first round picks that won't be able to develop without playing time. The Celtics need to make a trade. In order to get the most talented roster while staying under the cap and building for the future.

The Celtics right now need a 7th man who has the potential to blossom into a star with Tatum and Brown. This guy has to be really cheap for a while until Kemba max runs out.

The trade I am proposing is a win now and get a potential future star to play with Tatum and Brown.

The Celtics give up their 3 first round picks this year plus Romeo Langford for their 1st round pick.

Langford hasn’t looked great this season and I’m not really a fan of him as a prospect.

Detroit is a team that is a royal mess. They are going to go through a full rebuild and have nothing but free roster spots. All they need is the young players to develop and assets to build their franchise. The thing is this trade can work for Cleveland or a similar NBA team that is really just starting their full rebuild.

The Celtics roster in my mind would be

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Theis
6th Smart
7th lottery pick
8th Robert Williams
9th Grant williams
10th Semi ojele
11th Tremont waiters
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2020, 12:58:43 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
The Celtics have had a great season. They have found a very delicate balance of playing time and shots for Tatum, Kemba,Brown and Hayward. Theis has been amazing but with next year being his last year signed he could be up for a payday.

The Celtics bench has really been
Smart taking a huge chunk of the minutes
Kanter
Wannamaker
and a switch between Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye

This is not accounting for Romeo Langford,trent waiter,carson Edwards and tack fall.

The starters take a huge chunk of shots which leaves not to many shots for the bench. Wannamaker is a free agent who is unlikely to resign due to the Celtics severely limited cap space in the coming future.The Celtics have three more first round picks that won't be able to develop without playing time. The Celtics need to make a trade. In order to get the most talented roster while staying under the cap and building for the future.

The Celtics right now need a 7th man who has the potential to blossom into a star with Tatum and Brown. This guy has to be really cheap for a while until Kemba max runs out.

The trade I am proposing is a win now and get a potential future star to play with Tatum and Brown.

The Celtics give up their 3 first round picks this year plus Romeo Langford for their 1st round pick.

Langford hasn’t looked great this season and I’m not really a fan of him as a prospect.

Detroit is a team that is a royal mess. They are going to go through a full rebuild and have nothing but free roster spots. All they need is the young players to develop and assets to build their franchise. The thing is this trade can work for Cleveland or a similar NBA team that is really just starting their full rebuild.

The Celtics roster in my mind would be

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Theis
6th Smart
7th lottery pick
8th Robert Williams
9th Grant williams
10th Semi ojele
11th Tremont waiters

Oof.... :-[

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2020, 06:20:42 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Oof.... :-[
'

I agree that we should go for quality over quantity. Especially because I think we're going to keep the core of Walker-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Theis next year and with a good bench that should be a contender.

We simply don't have the space on the roster to go develop 5+ guys (rookies/sophomores) into good or just viable NBA players. The Celtics might have one of the youngest rosters in the NBA, but the time to compete is now.

The reason is that it's actually very unlikely that of all those prospects (Waters, Edwards, Langford, G.Williams, R. Williams, Fall) and draft picks (17, 26, 30) we'd find two players who can approach the level of Walker and Hayward.

So unless you believe that Tatum or Brown can increase their game to MVP-level (Durant or Leonard), I find it clear that the future decline/loss of Walker and Hayward will probably be bigger than the gain by development of our youngsters.

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I like our collection of young and veteran players for next season but as many have said, the cap is going to be killer.  Walker, Hayward, Smart, and Tatum all tick up for next season (increase about $6M) and Brown has his big contract kick in (add $17M).  We will then sign our rookies and unless there is a big trade, that is it.  I don't see how we avoid luxury tax.

I don't think we will restructure Hayward.  We need his full amount of cap to extend Tatum.  I expect that he will pick up the option though.  Then we have an expiring contract to try and trade but I don't really see how that scenario could work.  Pretty much every team is already over the cap.  He is probably going to play out the option year and then move on.

Note:  Just realized Hayward has a 15% trade kicker.  No way we are able to trade him.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:51:17 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm not expecting any big changes this offseason

Players I expect back

Walker   
Hayward   
Smart   
Tatum   
Brown   
Theis   
Langford   
G Williams   
R Williams   
Ojeleye

Kanter   player option, if he doesnt stay I expect DA goes discount vet big shopping again. If not Kanter then other likely options at this roster spot are Biyombo, Mahinmi, Noel, Len. The long shots who maybe can't get good $$ and take a 1 yr to be in a good role are Thompson, Plumlee or Baynes. This 3 would all be great fits but I doubt that happens. For the sake of this I'll just say Kanter comes back

that's 11/15 roster spots filled and for all intensive purposes the Cs rotational players that leaves the Cs with 4 spots to figure out

Poirier   
Edwards   
Waters
Tacko

Out of those 7

Waters has earned an NBA deal, there was an in season rumor that teams had inquired about the logistics of trading for Waters while on a 2-way deal. This and his on the court for the Cs minutes leaves me confident that he gets the 12th spot.

that leaves 6 players/picks for 3 roster spots.

My home run best solution is if DA is able to pull off a #17+#26+R Williams trade to move up in the draft of Wiseman or better yet Okongwu. This is really unlikely but would be the perfect roster crutch fix. As difficult as it is to trade up in the draft I think the more likely situation is that DA trades one of the later 1sts for future 2nds and gets the pick total down to 2 this year. That leaves 5 players for 3 spots.

A likely unpopular move that might be an option would be to package Porier and the #17 to move back in the draft. Maybe somthing like #17+ Porier to the NYK for #27 and a future 2nd. This draft is really flat and I would be confident that the talent at 17 is similar to the talent at 27. Clearing $ and picking up a future protected 2nd might make sense. So if #30 is traded for multiple future 2nds and #17 is traded back that would leave the Cs with the#26 and #26 picks in the draft.

Just to give an idea

Tankathons mocks the Cs could still draft Terry, Bolmaro, P Williams, P Achiuwa, or Tillman all players who I would rank in the 10-20 range.

NBADRAFT.net mocks the Cs could still draft Terry, Bolmaro, Vassell, J Smith or Tillman

ESPN mocks the Cs could still draft Stewart, Pokusevski, Ramsey, J Smith, Tillman

Bleacher Reports mock has a similar group of available players

Going of my own big board I would predict that Nnaji, Stewart, J Smith, Bane or Ramsey would be available.

For the sake of this I will use the ESPN board but factor in that when it was put out Terry hadn't declared. I assume he doesn't come out without 1st rd assurances. If Terry is off the board I would go with Xavier Tillman espn is much lower on him and they would have the Cs take Stewart but I just cant see Tillman not making it in the NBA given his strength and IQ. The Cs second pick is interesting, as much as I think he is going to be a bust Pukusevski might be worth the gamble at #27. If he stashes for 2 years and gains weight he could be a steal.   

The Porier and pick trade and moving 1 first for future 2nds would leave the Cs with 3 roster spots for

Edwards
#26 (lets say Tillman)
#27 (lets say Pokusevski)
Tacko

The Cs also have the #46 pick. Looking at the ESPN mock they actually have Tillman available at this pick but Ill still take him at #26. At #46 the Cs could take Desomond Bane or Immanuel Quickley. Both are guys who could make the roster and potentially contribute if needed. Ill go with Desmond Bane as the pick.

This leaves Bane and Tacko to battle it out for the 15th spot. I suspect Bane gets it and Tacko is offered a second 2-way deal. He will likely decline that and try to stick with another team.

That would leave the Cs depth chart as

Walker
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Theis

Smart
Kanter
R Williams
G Williams
R Langford
Semi
Waters
Edwards
Tillman (#27)
Bane (#46)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
I'm not expecting any big changes this offseason

Players I expect back

Walker   
Hayward   
Smart   
Tatum   
Brown   
Theis   
Langford   
G Williams   
R Williams   
Ojeleye

Kanter   player option, if he doesnt stay I expect DA goes discount vet big shopping again. If not Kanter then other likely options at this roster spot are Biyombo, Mahinmi, Noel, Len. The long shots who maybe can't get good $$ and take a 1 yr to be in a good role are Thompson, Plumlee or Baynes. This 3 would all be great fits but I doubt that happens. For the sake of this I'll just say Kanter comes back

that's 11/15 roster spots filled and for all intensive purposes the Cs rotational players that leaves the Cs with 4 spots to figure out

Poirier   
Edwards   
Waters
Tacko

Out of those 7

Waters has earned an NBA deal, there was an in season rumor that teams had inquired about the logistics of trading for Waters while on a 2-way deal. This and his on the court for the Cs minutes leaves me confident that he gets the 12th spot.

that leaves 6 players/picks for 3 roster spots.

My home run best solution is if DA is able to pull off a #17+#26+R Williams trade to move up in the draft of Wiseman or better yet Okongwu. This is really unlikely but would be the perfect roster crutch fix. As difficult as it is to trade up in the draft I think the more likely situation is that DA trades one of the later 1sts for future 2nds and gets the pick total down to 2 this year. That leaves 5 players for 3 spots.

A likely unpopular move that might be an option would be to package Porier and the #17 to move back in the draft. Maybe somthing like #17+ Porier to the NYK for #27 and a future 2nd. This draft is really flat and I would be confident that the talent at 17 is similar to the talent at 27. Clearing $ and picking up a future protected 2nd might make sense. So if #30 is traded for multiple future 2nds and #17 is traded back that would leave the Cs with the#26 and #26 picks in the draft.

Just to give an idea

Tankathons mocks the Cs could still draft Terry, Bolmaro, P Williams, P Achiuwa, or Tillman all players who I would rank in the 10-20 range.

NBADRAFT.net mocks the Cs could still draft Terry, Bolmaro, Vassell, J Smith or Tillman

ESPN mocks the Cs could still draft Stewart, Pokusevski, Ramsey, J Smith, Tillman

Bleacher Reports mock has a similar group of available players

Going of my own big board I would predict that Nnaji, Stewart, J Smith, Bane or Ramsey would be available.

For the sake of this I will use the ESPN board but factor in that when it was put out Terry hadn't declared. I assume he doesn't come out without 1st rd assurances. If Terry is off the board I would go with Xavier Tillman espn is much lower on him and they would have the Cs take Stewart but I just cant see Tillman not making it in the NBA given his strength and IQ. The Cs second pick is interesting, as much as I think he is going to be a bust Pukusevski might be worth the gamble at #27. If he stashes for 2 years and gains weight he could be a steal.   

The Porier and pick trade and moving 1 first for future 2nds would leave the Cs with 3 roster spots for

Edwards
#26 (lets say Tillman)
#27 (lets say Pokusevski)
Tacko

The Cs also have the #46 pick. Looking at the ESPN mock they actually have Tillman available at this pick but Ill still take him at #26. At #46 the Cs could take Desomond Bane or Immanuel Quickley. Both are guys who could make the roster and potentially contribute if needed. Ill go with Desmond Bane as the pick.

This leaves Bane and Tacko to battle it out for the 15th spot. I suspect Bane gets it and Tacko is offered a second 2-way deal. He will likely decline that and try to stick with another team.

That would leave the Cs depth chart as

Walker
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Theis

Smart
Kanter
R Williams
G Williams
R Langford
Semi
Waters
Edwards
Tillman (#27)
Bane (#46)

TP

Agree with a lot of this. Loving the mentions of Pokusevski and Tillman here as those 2 are both high on my wishlist. My one point of contention is that Given both our roster and financial limitations this offseason, I see no benefit to drafting a player in the 1st round that we'd have to pay. It would be a longshot that Brad would trust them enough to play over the 11 guys you expect to stay. So my plan is:

17- draft Aleksej Pokusevski, draft and stash. Let him keep playing in Europe, re-evaluate him after next season
26, 30 We do NOT want these picks if at all possible. There's zero difference talent-wise between drafting here and drafting in the 2nd round. The only difference is, 2nd rounders are non-guaranteed and the league pays a portion of their contracts (both are benefits we could use). If we could trade both of these for a draft pick next year or the year after that but maybe gain an additional 2nd rounder this year to go with 43, that would be ideal. Otherwise, draft n stash again, or BPA and maybe Danny tries to move him in a bigger deal later.

In the 2nd round, I'd take flyers on 1 or 2 of any of these guys who should make it back there and feel pretty comfortable:

Devon Dotson
Jordon Nwora
Xavier Tillman, Jr.
Killian Tillie
Reggie Perry
Paul Reed

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bumping this.

I was wondering what would be the price for Derrick White. I mean, the Spurs offered Dejounte Murray a 4-year, $64M contract to be their starting PG going forward. They also got Patty Mills.

White is a lockdown defender who nearly made the All-Defensive team last season and a superb decision-maker on offense. He rebounds. He’s a solid spot-up shooter. Would love us to go after him.

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2020, 06:18:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
 I let Semi walk..there’s a lot of better players out there than him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bumping this.

I was wondering what would be the price for Derrick White. I mean, the Spurs offered Dejounte Murray a 4-year, $64M contract to be their starting PG going forward. They also got Patty Mills.

White is a lockdown defender who nearly made the All-Defensive team last season and a superb decision-maker on offense. He rebounds. He’s a solid spot-up shooter. Would love us to go after him.
I too would love Derrick White. It's crazy how much more money Mills makes than White. Not sure if an offer bases around Langford & Edwards would interest them...

Also wonder if Kendrick Nunn is on the outer. He's fallen completely out of their rotation in the playoffs. Do they try and retain Dragic, further pushing Nunn into a bench role given Herro's blossoming game?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)