Author Topic: If Kyrie walks to New York, how about Mike Conley?  (Read 4514 times)

Re: If Kyrie walks to New York, how about Mike Conley?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Excuse my ignorance but if Kyrie's contract was off the books wouldn't there be some way to fit Conley into our cap?

Unfortunately, no that isn't possible.

If we signed-and-traded Kyrie to NYK (once he stated he was going there), does that create a large trade exception? Might that fit Conley?

I haven’t kept up on the S&T rules. Would this affect our cap flexibility?
I believe Conley's contract is too large to do that.

I think Conley is around $32.5 million, and the max slot for Kyrie is projected to be around $32.7 million.  So, maybe?

Wouldn't Irving be BYC?  Signed-and-traded via Bird rights, Boston would be above the salary cap, Kyrie gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is above the minimum - BYC triggered. Still exists for signs'n'trades.

So the trade exception would be worth $20M million, Irving's current salary.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Even then, a sign'n'trade would mean Irving wouldn't be able to sign for 5 years. Only 4 years with 5% annual increases - same as if he'd be signing outright. So I agree there would be little incentive for him and New York to agree.

Last player I recall being involved in a sign'n'trade to a team with cap room was Dellavedova to Milwaukee, from Cleveland. Cavs sent like half a million in cash to Milwaukee. And that was for a midlevel type of player.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
If Kyrie walk to New York, Celtics should get Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson and Future Pick.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Given how we are playing right now, this thread should be buried.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Smart moves to the point and the Celts get a shooting guard either by free agency or trade.