Author Topic: Buy out guys:  (Read 5983 times)

Buy out guys:
« on: July 20, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
There will be buy out guys. It looks like Evan Fournier is burning his way out of New York. Would you want him on a vet min.?

Re: Buy out guys:
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
There will be buy out guys. It looks like Evan Fournier is burning his way out of New York. Would you want him on a vet min.?

Probably better than Rudy Gay, but even a few years ago, when he was on the Celtics, he wasn't that good.  Not sure what would have changed.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Probably better than Rudy Gay, but even a few years ago, when he was on the Celtics, he wasn't that good.  Not sure what would have changed.

Well, we wouldn't be paying him 18 million a year. I'd take Fournier on a vet min. as a shooter off the bench. I have no idea what Rudy Gay has left.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Point of clarification:  are the rules about signing buyout guys (with salary over the MLE) in effect now, or next year?  Does that apply to second apron or first apron?

I'd love Fournier here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 11:37:42 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Point of clarification:  are the rules about signing buyout guys (with salary over the MLE) in effect now, or next year?  Does that apply to second apron or first apron?

I'd love Fournier here.

I'm not sure if it will count this year or not, but it only applies to the 2nd apron so it might not matter for us. Although if it does apply this year, it would probably hard-cap us so maybe Brad would shy away from it.

At first I didn't like this rule because teams should still be able to sign those players for higher-than-minimum salaries if they want to, but I just realized that teams over the 2nd apron wouldn't have any relevant exceptions anyway. So actually, it's a pretty good addition (even though I don't think buyout guys are actually that helpful anyway).

Edit: If I had to guess, though, I'd assume it applies this year since (like the MLE hardcap) it only applies to adding free agents
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 11:48:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'd love Fournier here.

I'm not sure if it will count this year or not, but it only applies to the 2nd apron so it might not matter for us. Although if it does apply this year, it would probably hard-cap us so maybe Brad would shy away from it.

At first I didn't like this rule because teams should still be able to sign those players for higher-than-minimum salaries if they want to, but I just realized that teams over the 2nd apron wouldn't have any relevant exceptions anyway. So actually, it's a pretty good addition (even though I don't think buyout guys are actually that helpful anyway).

Edit: If I had to guess, though, I'd assume it applies this year since (like the MLE hardcap) it only applies to adding free agents

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2023/06/2023-NBA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

The restrictions are discussed on page 190 here.  It only seems to apply to regular season buyouts, rather than the off-season / pre-season.

Looking at it for only 30 seconds, I'm not convinced that it only applies to second apron teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Evan wasn't bad here - 46% from 3 in the regular season on 6 attempts, and 43% in playoffs on the same isn't bad at all. I think the combo of his rough start (0/11 on 3 over his few couple of games) + the outsized expectations of what the Hayward TPE could actually get doomed him.

Speaking of Hayward, I wonder if Charlotte buys out his last year. Even so, I'm sure his wife would leave him before she'd move back to Boston lol.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Nope!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Evan wasn't bad here - 46% from 3 in the regular season on 6 attempts, and 43% in playoffs on the same isn't bad at all. I think the combo of his rough start (0/11 on 3 over his few couple of games) + the outsized expectations of what the Hayward TPE could actually get doomed him.

Speaking of Hayward, I wonder if Charlotte buys out his last year. Even so, I'm sure his wife would leave him before she'd move back to Boston lol.

She has a whole cheese shop of people to hang out with, here.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Stealing this idea from Twitter -- why is Nikola Mirotic out of the NBA? It made me fall out of my chair that he's only 32 years old. Legit 6'10, 6'11. Solid advanced stats on both sides of the court. Consistently shooting 40%+ in Europe including 47%-48% type years. MVP across multiple leagues, incredibly decorated, champion.

He just had his contract cancelled because Barcelona is broke. He was making really good money in Europe -- $10M a year -- but surely he'd be open to ring chasing in the NBA at some point as he ages?

Maybe this is the last big contract opportunity so it's too early for it for him. But he'd be a pretty interesting fit if he said "well, I've won in Spain but let me get that NBA ring before I'm washed up and desperate."

Almost certainly a pipe dream but if we are considering buyout type candidates...
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 01:59:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Stealing this idea from Twitter -- why is Nikola Mirotic out of the NBA? It made me fall out of my chair that he's only 32 years old. Legit 6'10, 6'11. Solid advanced stats on both sides of the court. Consistently shooting 40%+ in Europe including 47%-48% type years. MVP across multiple leagues, incredibly decorated, champion.

He just had his contract cancelled because Barcelona is broke. He was making really good money in Europe -- $10M a year -- but surely he'd be open to ring chasing in the NBA at some point as he ages?

Maybe this is the last big contract opportunity so it's too early for it for him. But he'd be a pretty interesting fit if he said "well, I've won in Spain but let me get that NBA ring before I'm washed up and desperate."

Almost certainly a pipe dream but if we are considering buyout type candidates...

Wow, he got cut by Barca. Mirotic could still be a starting caliber player if he hasn't declined much over in Europe. No reason to believe he has given his age. Someone needs to get on that and sign him up.

I'd love to see him go somewhere other than Boston so he can play big minutes. He is too good to come here in a small bench role. Preferably I'd love to see him get 30+mpg somewhere.

But if he was willing to come here on small money and small role, he'd be great.

I believe Mirotic was in Europe because they offered him either more money than he was getting in the NBA or comparable money to what he was being offered in the NBA + that he preferred being a star in Europe than a role player in the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 02:04:15 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'd love Fournier here.

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2023/06/2023-NBA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf

The restrictions are discussed on page 190 here.  It only seems to apply to regular season buyouts, rather than the off-season / pre-season.

Looking at it for only 30 seconds, I'm not convinced that it only applies to second apron teams.

That definitely seems to say it applies to the first apron, great find. I've seen it reported everywhere as the 2nd apron, so I wonder if that's just been misreported or if that was changed at some point.

I honestly don't expect it to make a big difference anyway since buyout-market players rarely amount to anything, but seeing it applied to first-apron teams as well is definitely interesting.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

She has a whole cheese shop of people to hang out with, here.

And of course the local cops. How could I forget.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
OKC and other teams will be cutting useful guys. It'll be interesting to see who will shake loose.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

There were always character questions swirling around him when he was in the league, but maybe now that he's older it's no longer an issue. His own teammate (Bobby Portis) punched him in the face once. If you ask Draymond, you don't punch somebody in the face unless they really did something to cross the line.