Author Topic: Trade Idea: Celtics - Warriors  (Read 1442 times)

Trade Idea: Celtics - Warriors
« on: July 12, 2023, 04:33:34 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics: Paul, Jackson-Davis, 2026 Warriors 1st round pick (protected), Dunn, 2026 Grizzlies 2nd round pick (via Jazz)

Warriors: Brogdon, Kornet

Jazz: Prichard

———

Boston Celtics

Depth Chart

PG Paul, Dunn, Banton

SG White, Walsh, Champagnie

SF Brown, Hauser, Brissett

PF Tatum, Horford, Jackson-Davis

C  Porzingis, Williams III
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 05:07:56 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: Celtics - Warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 04:41:03 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics couldn’t complete the trade for a couple of months due to Chris Paul’s recent trade & would need to use Grant Williams’ trade exception.

Although Paul is well past his prime, I do believe this trade has merit. This team has been dying for better ball movement and perhaps Paul can be the instigator. He’d also be surrounded by great to elite defenders in comparison to his previous few teams.

When Paul is resting White can obviously take control of the ball handing duties and Brown just shifts down in position.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 06:31:26 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
The Celtics couldn’t complete the trade for a couple of months due to Chris Paul’s recent trade & would need to use Grant Williams’ trade exception.

Although Paul is well past his prime, I do believe this trade has merit. This team has been dying for better ball movement and perhaps Paul can be the instigator. He’d also be surrounded by great to elite defenders in comparison to his previous few teams.

When Paul is resting White can obviously take control of the ball handing duties and Brown just shifts down in position.

At present there are 3 Cs who I’d rather have at the point than Chris Paul.  You’re trading two of them to get him.  Team is much more vulnerable after this trade.  And if you think back to a month ago, our PG depth will have gone from Smart, White, Brogdon, and Pritchard to White (who I’d prefer to start) and Paul.  And that’s till Paul is hurt.

I’m sure I’m the only one on the planet who’d rather have PP than CP3, but at this stage of Paul’s career, I would.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 06:33:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is part of the warriors last run and they won't deal him.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 06:49:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not sure Paul is better for them than Brogdon. Brogdon is a lesser passer, but can still function as a primary ball-handler and allow Curry to work off him. He's bigger than Paul, better at shooting, and can score inside.

I have no interest in CP3
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 08:08:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
What exactly are you trying to fix with this trade and why would we want to go back to playing Tatum in the 4 role?  If you do this trade, and want to start Chris Paul, White becomes the 6th man.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:44:36 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm not sure Paul is better for them than Brogdon. Brogdon is a lesser passer, but can still function as a primary ball-handler and allow Curry to work off him. He's bigger than Paul, better at shooting, and can score inside.

I have no interest in CP3

I do not have any interest in him either.   GS dealt for him for a reason, is what I meant.   it could be as trivial as wanting to deprive a rival from getting him for GS

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 09:05:15 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’m fine with the trade because I think the draft compensation is solid and Chris Paul’s expiring contract could be useful in a subsequent trade, but it clearly makes the Celtics worse this year. 

For what it’s worth, CP3 could be traded today in this deal.  The hold-up is Jackson-Davis (can’t be traded until August) who isn’t going to be traded anyway.  His agent is the Warriors GM’s brother, and they conspired to get him to Golden State.  He’s not getting traded before he plays in a game.  (Also, I don’t think Kornet needs to be involved for salary matching purposes)

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 11:56:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I see CP3 for Brogdon as a lateral move. I rate them both around the same level. I am bothered by CP3's injury proneness but then again Brogdon is just as injury prone. CP3 is still the better defender between the two of them. And the better floor leader. Brogdon the betters scorer.

I would still start D White over CP3 because Tatum, Jaylen and Porzingis are going to want more touches and D White needs less time on the ball than CP3 does. So I rate D White as the better fit.

G: D White, CP3
G: Jaylen
F: Tatum, Hauser
F: Horford, Brissett
C: Porzingis, Timelord

CP3 would be a good weapon in the two guard backcourt when one of Jaylen or Tatum goes to the bench. The team can go a bit smaller and get more ball-handling and passing on the floor. D White can slide over to SG. Let CP3 run more of the show in the 2nd unit.

That said, I don't think GSW says yes to the deal. I believe a big part of getting CP3 was his expiring contract and getting control of their cap situation in 12 months time. Acquiring Brogdon hurts that. He isn't as valuable as Klay or Wiggins so he is a problem for them cap wise. Not worth giving up picks for on top of that.

Best just sticking with CP3.

I also don't think Brogdon is a good fit for their offense. The ball sticks to his hands too much. They want guys who move the ball and move without the ball. Pass with tempo. Brogdon is methodical and likes to slowly work people over as he finds the seams to attack.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
CP3 is cooked. He can't be relied upon to play significant minutes in the playoffs at this juncture. He had an incredible career, but his time has passed.