Author Topic: Another offseason offer? Ideas for discussion  (Read 5634 times)

Re: Another offseason offer? Ideas for discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
To review on my previous post of the numbers.

Name   2019-20
Gordon Hayward   $32,700,690
Al Horford                   $20,000,000
Marcus Smart           $12,553,571
Jayson Tatum           $7,830,000
Aron Baynes           $5,453,280
Jaylen Brown           $6,534,829
Guerschon Yabusele   $3,117,240
Robert Williams           $1,937,520
Demetrius Jackson (stretched)   $92,857
Pick 14                   $2,878,400
Pick 20                   $2,149,000
Pick 22                   $1,980,700
Guaranteed Total:   $97,228,087
Inclusive Total:           $132,916,100
Capspace est:            $11,771,913

Pick 22 and Yabusele to Dallas for Jaylen Brunson and pick 37
This is 5,097,940 outgoing and only 1,230,000 coming back for a savings of $3,867,940 bringing the total available capspace to $15,639,853.

Then pick 20 to NYK for Frank for a net salary increase of 2,706,800 leaving space of $12,933,053

Team can then offer Bryant 10 million, and Jared Dudley 2,900,000
Vince Carter with the BAE 3.4 million No BAE available, so vet min or whatever for the 13th man
Rome MLE (4.8 mill) on a PF) Homes, Vonleh, Wood, Lyden or Davis

Draft Johnson or little at 14, Samanic at 37, Lecque or BPA at 51

Smart/Frank/Brunson
Brown/Johnson/minimum contract
Tatum/Hayward/Dudley
Horford/MLE FA/Samanic
Bryant/Baynes/Williams

I like that team alot.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:27:28 PM by Silky »

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Once you use cap space you do not have access to either the full MLE or the taxpayer MLE or the BLE. All you then have to offer is the Room Exception of $4.7 million

Also, Rozier's cap hold is $9.1 million not the $4+ million number you are quoting.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

Spotrac is very reliable and contains all the other stuff you are forgetting, like cap holds for exceptions.

Basically to keep rozier and add bryant team would need to also drop Baynes.

Baynes, Yabusele, pick 22 to dallas for brunson and 37 might work for dallas.
Cheap depth, a pick and still have room for a max contract.

Or perhaps a different team for baynes.

Either way it is still possible to have a starting lineup of

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant
Or, you make no trades. Sign Rozier using his Bird rights and just offer Bryant the full MLE. Celtics should be below the taxpayer threshold and have that.

I do not believe the Full MLE is enough to go over the threshold  that Washington can match.

Boston needs to go just a smidge above it.
Then pass. Because quite honestly if other teams know Washington won't match beyond a certain point, there will be a bidding war for him and he will get massively overpaid.

There's a bunch of teams that will have cap space and will be left with no star to sign. Those teams then usually way over spend on much less talented players like Bryant. He isn't worth getting into a bidding war you know you can't win.

I would offer him no more than the full, 4 year MLE. No sense reworking an entire roster just to open up a very limited amount of cap space and then miss out on the guy because the Knicks decided to throw 4 years and $20 million at the guy because they can't get anyone else to sign there.

Well I am not sure there will be a bidding war for him, but Washington would be dumb to not match an MLE offer.

There are a number of Centers out there that will command more money than Bryant,  (Cousins, Jonas, Vooch, Gasol, Lopex, Jordan) will all most likely garner more attention from teams looking to spend on a center.

And dumping Yabusele and a pick for a young PG on a smaller salary isnt really restructuring the whole roster to make it happen.

I mean, if Bryant doesnt accept the 10 mill then you dont renounce Rozier and others to keep above the salary cap for full MLE.

If he accepts you renounce Rozier, etc.

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Any chance we trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? (assuming Kyrie walks and we embrace the youth movement)

Imo, he's the most promising young PG in the league right now. In all honesty, he may have a higher ceiling than Tatum/Brown.
He is an incredible talent. Unfortunately, Doc Rivers knows this and loves the guy. Getting him won't happen.
Here's an out-of-the-box idea:

Tatum + Rozier (sign and trade) for SGA + Gallinari + Miami 2021 unprotected first

Again, imo SGA may very well have a higher ceiling than Tatum.

Not sure whether either team would do it. Quite possibly, both teams say no. I mean, according to rumors, Doc wasn't even willing to include SGA in the recent discussions for AD. Much like Danny and his reluctance to part ways with Tatum.

Personally speaking, I would consider it cause
- I'm super high on SGA
- I don't want us to pay Rozier anyway (especially since we have already re-signed Smart)

SGA - Smart
Brown
Hayward - Semi
Gallinari
Horford - Baynes - Williams

Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Any chance we trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? (assuming Kyrie walks and we embrace the youth movement)

Imo, he's the most promising young PG in the league right now. In all honesty, he may have a higher ceiling than Tatum/Brown.
He is an incredible talent. Unfortunately, Doc Rivers knows this and loves the guy. Getting him won't happen.
Here's an out-of-the-box idea:

Tatum + Rozier (sign and trade) for SGA + Gallinari + Miami 2021 unprotected first

Again, imo SGA may very well have a higher ceiling than Tatum.

Not sure whether either team would do it. Quite possibly, both teams say no. I mean, according to rumors, Doc wasn't even willing to include SGA in the recent discussions for AD. Much like Danny and his reluctance to part ways with Tatum.

Personally speaking, I would consider it cause
- I'm super high on SGA
- I don't want us to pay Rozier anyway (especially since we have already re-signed Smart)

SGA - Smart
Brown
Hayward - Semi
Gallinari
Horford - Baynes - Williams

Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit.

Thats one of those proposals where you immediately want to shout no but before you can get the word out you have a second thought

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You know Silk......😔

Again, you can not use the MLE, the Taxpayer MLE or the BAE when you use cap space. I called it the BLE but it's the same thing.

And you go from saying the MLE won't be enough for Bryant so in your new scenario you give him a whole $750,000 more thinking that will close the deal?

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
You know Silk......😔

Again, you can not use the MLE, the Taxpayer MLE or the BAE when you use cap space. I called it the BLE but it's the same thing.

And you go from saying the MLE won't be enough for Bryant so in your new scenario you give him a whole $750,000 more thinking that will close the deal?

Room exception MLE 4.9 million, I stated that.

BLE, or BAE I was under the impression that its not limited to how you get over the cap, but what odds, we are talking about Jared Dudley here.

and 750K more prevents Washington from being able to match. there is obviously another 3 million available to use to close the deal, but 1$ is all that is needed to prevent Washington from being able to match the contract.

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
You know Silk......😔

BLE, or BAE I was under the impression that its not limited to how you get over the cap, but what odds, we are talking about Jared Dudley here.

and 750K more prevents Washington from being able to match. there is obviously another 3 million available to use to close the deal, but 1$ is all that is needed to prevent Washington from being able to match the contract.
No, as I stated, the BAE is only available if over the cap. If you use any cap space, the BAE and the MLE's aren't available to you.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:55:37 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I want noah on the minimum. He showed some juice with grizzlies.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This trade was suggested on CBS Sports.

Celtics get: Bradley Beal
Wizards get: Marcus Smart, Aron Baynes, Guerschon Yabusele, No. 22 pick in 2019 draft, 2020 first-round pick (via Memphis)

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Wizards get: Marcus Smart, Aron Baynes, Guerschon Yabusele, No. 22 pick in 2019 draft, 2020 first-round pick (via Memphis)
Two problems. Washington pulled Beal off the market and Baynes was given assurances he would not be traded if he opted in.

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Two problems. Washington pulled Beal off the market and Baynes was given assurances he would not be traded if he opted in.

I think Beal could be a had with a good offer. The one list above isn't it though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
What about the idea posed in this article?

https://bealestreetbears.com/2019/06/17/nba-rumors-memphis-grizzlies-mike-conley-trade/

Hayward and 22nd overall 2019 for Conley.  I wish there were some way to include Rosier instead of Hayward because I fully expect Hayward to be much improved this year.

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Beal could be a had with a good offer. The one list above isn't it though.
I actually don't, they'll wait till his walk year to deal him imo.

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
You know Silk......😔

No, as I stated, the BAE is only available if over the cap. If you use any cap space, the BAE and the MLE's aren't available to you.

Room MLE is available, as long as you spend up to and over the cap.

https://twitter.com/larrycoon/status/749081555671191552

From Larry Coons CBA FAQ

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and therefore lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team already has used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:

Season   First-year salary
2017-18   $4.328 million
2018-19   $4.449 million
The Room Mid-Level exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to two years in length, with raises up to 5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a two-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

Once a team has used this exception, it can no longer use the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

if team made a little space for salary, like I outlined earlier, the deal could be completed with just Smart, Yabu, pick 20, Memphis pick. We would take on 10 mill in extra salary, but it would be legal as we would have the space to do so.