Author Topic: Report: Nets "Highly Unlikely" to Resign Russell if They Get Kyrie; Opportunity?  (Read 11082 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If people were upset about Kyrie's play last year, take this into consideration about Russell

1. Russell is a worse shooter than Kyrie from the field, the 3 point line and the free throw line and shoots the ball more than Kyrie.

2. Russell shoots more three pointers than Kyrie even though he makes less three pointers than Kyrie at a lesser rate

3. Russell avoids contact in the lane even more than Kyrie, getting to the FT line much less than Kyrie and making those shots at a much lesser rate.

4. Russell's defense is as bad as Kyrie's if not worse.

5. Russell is as ball dominant and isolation heavy as Kyrie if not more.

6. Russell, given his age and former locker room actions in LA, is no leader. His ability to eventually become a leader, may be on the same level as Kyrie.

7. Russell hasn't shown he can come up big when it matters most, in the playoffs. As bad as Kyrie's series was for Boston this year, Russell's was worse. But Kyrie has shown he can be phenomenal in the playoffs, even if he wasn't in the Milwaukee series.

If you didn't like Kyrie in Green, you should hate the idea of bringing in Russell. And, there is the possibility such a deal could hard cap the team, depending on what else has been happening in the off-season thus far.

I have been pretty vocal that I doubt Ainge does any sign and trades. Heck, teams across the league haven't made a single sign and trade in 2 years. I think the likelihood of a simultaneous sign and trade, especially between division rivals, is nearly zero.

Well made post but something to consider about the difference between Russell and Kyrie is that Brooklyn played at the fastest Pace In The League last year at a 105.60 rating against our 5th ranking 100.83.

Kyrie has a penchant for slowing things down so he can score in the half-court.

While he's masterful at this I think it negatively impacts a lot of the other guys like Jaylen and Tatum who thrive in transition.

Russell had some IT4-esque 4th quarters last year single-handedly taking over games by bombing threes in opening up lanes for cutters.

I see no reason why he couldn't do the same thing here and a lot of those games where the team fell apart and never got their rhythm back under Kyrie could have very well turned into W's under Russell.

TP. This has been one of my complaints about the past few years, as we played a significantly slower game than in the IT years, even though most of our guys were suited for a transition game.

Yes, and Nick Nurse did a great job of pushing the pace vs Warriors in the Finals, really wore then out, and exposed their poor transition defense. Brad tried to push the pace, and guys like Brown, Rozier, Tatum and even Hayward really like that style.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Dlo would be a nice fit in brads system.  A young pg that can score and drive.  Maybe not an assist man yet but he can certainly grow and develop at only 23 into something special in Boston.  Him Tatum smart Jaylen hayward, al would be a nice unit to roll with for a few years under cbs guidance.  Plus he’d have every motivation to stick it to kyrie and the nets and the fakers. Lol!

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Dlo would be a nice fit in brads system.  A young pg that can score and drive.  Maybe not an assist man yet but he can certainly grow and develop at only 23 into something special in Boston.  Him Tatum smart Jaylen hayward, al would be a nice unit to roll with for a few years under cbs guidance.  Plus he’d have every motivation to stick it to kyrie and the nets and the fakers. Lol!
Wouldn’t we just have the same issue as last year all over again? Too many mouths to feed. Not sure why people really want a score first guard on this roster. They already have 3 wings that need to get their shots (Hayward/Brown/Tatum). Adding Russell (who is a lesser version of Kyrie) leads to just the same issues as last year.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wouldn’t we just have the same issue as last year all over again? Too many mouths to feed. Not sure why people really want a score first guard on this roster. They already have 3 wings that need to get their shots (Hayward/Brown/Tatum). Adding Russell (who is a lesser version of Kyrie) leads to just the same issues as last year.

I could see this as an issue - it might more sense if we made a move for AD using Tatum/Smart. Obviously Smart doesn't eat up a lot of shots, but with Irving and Tatum gone, it wouldn't kill us to have another dynamic scorer. It really comes down to who you prefer - Russell at $27.5M or Rozier at $12M. And I really mean this - not trying to compare the two players, but if Irving is gone and Russell isn't coming here (and he probably isn't), then Rozier will most likely be retained.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I could see this as an issue - it might more sense if we made a move for AD using Tatum/Smart. Obviously Smart doesn't eat up a lot of shots, but with Irving and Tatum gone, it wouldn't kill us to have another dynamic scorer. It really comes down to who you prefer - Russell at $27.5M or Rozier at $12M. And I really mean this - not trying to compare the two players, but if Irving is gone and Russell isn't coming here (and he probably isn't), then Rozier will most likely be retained.

There is also the option of Rubio, a true pass first PG, very good defender, and solid basketball IQ. He would likely come at a reasonable price. His deficiency in outside shooting would hurt, but he makes up for it in other categories.

Patrick Beverley is another good option, fantastic defender and excellent floor leader.

Then of course, there are the rumors of trading for Conley.

We are not tied to Russell or Rozier if we want a good PG next season.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think if we want Russel in a S&T for Kyrie we would have to send them the Memphis pick and that would be too much. I think there other teams russel would rather go to who would be willing to send compensation to the nets:
SLCdunk have a russel themed article every day now plus russel is friends with Mitchell.
The suns are another team to watch which might be preferred by russel.
I would add Dallas as the third favorite for russel but I can’t see them sending any future assets to the nets

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Rather have Rubio at PG than Russell, Rozier or Smart
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I don't understand the fascination with Rubio in this forum. It looks like people are talking about 2002 Jason Kidd. If he was that good the jazz wouldn't be dying for an upgrade over him. They reportedly tried hard to trade for Conley and Rubio already said they told him they don't want him back. Soooo... the freakin Jazz don't want him back at any price and people seem desperate to see him in a celtics Jersey. People bashed Smart a lot for his shooting and now they want a guy whose defense and shooting are worse. I can't get it
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I don't understand the fascination with Rubio in this forum. It looks like people are talking about 2002 Jason Kidd. If he was that good the jazz wouldn't be dying for an upgrade over him. They reportedly tried hard to trade for Conley and Rubio already said they told him they don't want him back. Soooo... the freakin Jazz don't want him back at any price and people seem desperate to see him in a celtics Jersey. People bashed Smart a lot for his shooting and now they want a guy whose defense and shooting are worse. I can't get it

Rubio isn't looking to take deep shots his game is almost all going to the basket getting the defense to retreat. I'm not a huge fan of his I think he's just an avg. pg but I can see why people want him in green.

I think there will be better options for the Celtics if Kyrie bounces.

ok fine