Author Topic: Report: Nets "Highly Unlikely" to Resign Russell if They Get Kyrie; Opportunity?  (Read 11077 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841172-dangelo-russell-rumors-highly-unlikely-nets-retain-pg-if-kyrie-irving-signs

D'Angelo Russell's time with the Brooklyn Nets could be coming to an end if Kyrie Irving signs with the team in free agency.

Per SNY.tv's Ian Begley, Russell is "highly unlikely" to re-sign if Irving comes to Brooklyn.

Russell figures to have plenty of suitors if the Nets don't retain him. Begley cited the Indiana Pacers as being high on the All-Star point guard.

Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe noted the Boston Celtics don't feel confident about their chances to re-sign Irving.

Per ESPN.com's Adrian Wojnarowski, the six-time All-Star is "intensely interested" in the Nets, with the New York Knicks also expected to be in the mix.

Brooklyn seems poised for a major offseason overhaul with the potential for two max slots if they let Russell walk in restricted free agency.

If the Nets get Irving, it makes little sense for them to bring back Russell because the two play the same position and need to control the ball. The Nets roster is already overloaded with ball-dominant guards under long-term contracts such as Spencer Dinwiddie and Caris LeVert.

Russell figures to attract a lot of attention from teams in need of a point guard. The 23-year-old was named to his first All-Star team last season and averaged career highs with 21.1 points and 7.0 assists in 81 games to help the Nets reach the playoffs for the first time in three years.

So - it looks like Brooklyn will either pair Kyrie with another star or sign Kyrie by himself.

Given this development - and given that Russell could very well be bound to a similarly competitive team in Indiana anyways - if Kyrie does go there why not offer Brooklyn some draft compensation for a double sign-and-trade with him and Kyrie? Hell, even offering the Memphis pick to do the double sign-and-trade would make sense, as Russell is a 23 year old All-Star who would fit perfectly in Boston as the long-term point guard. If you pair a Russell addition with an AD trade (assuming Tatum and Smart out for AD), that would leave a really good starting lineup of Russell, Brown, Hayward, Horford, and AD, which is a title contender.

Now some may argue that Brooklyn would not want to benefit a fellow Eastern Conference rival in this way, especially a divisional rival; however, if  Russell is likely to end up in Indiana anyways - which would be a similarly difficult rival for them - and they are letting him walk for nothing, why wouldn't they try to benefit from Russell leaving and get compensated anyways?

So what do you say - if Kyrie indicates that he's leaving for Brooklyn, would you engage them on a double sign-and-trade by offering some draft compensation, even up to the Memphis pick?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's a good idea, but I can't seem to figure out if we are able to do some kind of sign and trade given our cap space.

I think we'd have to clear alot of space (renouncing free agents, etc)

But, I am also not a cap expert.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Russell and Davis pairing in Boston? Sounds neat!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Russell and Davis pairing in Boston? Sounds neat!

Yeah, I kind of like it.

It's a good idea by jpotter.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Thanks for posting this report. I have been all over this [likely impossible] narrative in recent days (even kind-of hi-jacking LB's thread from last night). A S&T would actually be quite possible with Kyrie counting as $20.1M in outgoing salary and Russell counting as $27.5M. Yabu and/or salary from picks should get you there quite easily.

The thing is, BKN is either going to lose him for nothing or be forced to match (which they reportedly don't want to do). Collecting a couple of picks from us would be a nice bonus for what would normally be a lost asset.

Now, the big obstacle would be convincing Russell to want to come here over any other team. If he prefers another team, he will just sign an offer sheet there and count on BKN not matching. I think this would be a great situation for him, though.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
S&t rozier to nets so he can be with kyrie lol

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
could this have been in the plan all along? Did Danny figure Kyrie had his eyes on Bklyn and at the worst there will be a sign and trade? It would make sense.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Thanks for posting this report. I have been all over this [likely impossible] narrative in recent days (even kind-of hi-jacking LB's thread from last night). A S&T would actually be quite possible with Kyrie counting as $20.1M in outgoing salary and Russell counting as $27.5M. Yabu and/or salary from picks should get you there quite easily.

The thing is, BKN is either going to lose him for nothing or be forced to match (which they reportedly don't want to do). Collecting a couple of picks from us would be a nice bonus for what would normally be a lost asset.

Now, the big obstacle would be convincing Russell to want to come here over any other team. If he prefers another team, he will just sign an offer sheet there and count on BKN not matching. I think this would be a great situation for him, though.

Yeah, this is what I think we could sell him on over other teams, especially if we get AD beforehand and/or in conjunction with him. That's a really good team to be on that he can serve as number two option on. Outside of Indy - which would be another pretty good situation for him, albeit a lesser situation than Boston in a significantly smaller market - no other suitor I think can offer him such a competitive environment in a bigger-sized market, too.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1139718833843949569

A double sign and trade for Kyrie seems unlikely. Probably the only way we get him is if we lose Rozier, Horford, Kyrie and Morris then we could sign him via cap space?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
The salary cap in the NBA is so stupid

Seriously

Like every year it seems we are always up against the cap and we have crap to show for it.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1139718833843949569

A double sign and trade for Kyrie seems unlikely. Probably the only way we get him is if we lose Rozier, Horford, Kyrie and Morris then we could sign him via cap space?

So, my salary cap knowledge is somewhat limited in some areas, but from my understanding of sign-and-trade rules this should be fairly easy to complete given that Kyrie is set for a bigger salary than Russell. As jambr pointed out, the base year compensation rule would have Kyrie counting as $20.1M in outgoing salary and Russell counting as $27.5M, so Yabu and/or salary from picks should then get you to meet the requirement of 125% + 100,000 for an over the cap team completing a sign-and-trade. And as for Brooklyn, they are under the cap and have plenty of cap space, so they would be able to take Kyrie into their extra cap space and don't have to follow this rule (I think).

Admittedly, the hard cap would be something to consider, but it's far from a deal-breaker. However, I really don't see what would be so complicated about it if (a) Russell wanted to come here, and (b) Brooklyn is interested in receiving some compensation for Russell instead of just letting him walk for free.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
could this have been in the plan all along? Did Danny figure Kyrie had his eyes on Bklyn and at the worst there will be a sign and trade? It would make sense.

Just crazy enough to be plausible.

Congrats on 10,000. TP

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

yes, Congrats on hitting 10,000!
tp

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What does a max salary for kyrie start at if we sign and trade him?  35 mil?

What is Russell going to demand?  30 mil?

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Isn’t Russell a more arrogant, more ball dominant, worse defensive version of Kyrie? And Kyrie haters want this guy why again?
- LilRip