Author Topic: The Celtics are elite at creating open shots  (Read 1967 times)

The Celtics are elite at creating open shots
« on: January 19, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is a cool stat: the Celtics lead the league in FGAs when the nearest defender is between 4 and 6 feet away, and are second in FGAs when no defender within 6 feet.

4 to 6 feet

6+ feet

That’s 53 FGAs per game (our of 90.3 total) with at least four feet of space.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The Celtics are elite at creating open shots
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
so why do they take so many horrible contested shots?

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In relative terms, we don’t. The Celts are 27th in taking very tightly contested shots, and last in taking tightly contested shots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We miss a lot of open shots on the road.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
27th in FGA in the restricted area.  8th most mid range shots between the paint and the 3 point line.  20th most shots in the paint outside the restricted.  28th in getting to the free throw line.

The reason they have so many open shots are because they aren't attacking the rim near as much as everyone else.  The C's are settling for to many mid range jumpers.  The open 3's are great but so far they haven't been hitting them as often as one would expect.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
27th in FGA in the restricted area.  8th most mid range shots between the paint and the 3 point line.  20th most shots in the paint outside the restricted.  28th in getting to the free throw line.

The reason they have so many open shots are because they aren't attacking the rim near as much as everyone else.  The C's are settling for to many mid range jumpers.  The open 3's are great but so far they haven't been hitting them as often as one would expect.

I wonder, what’s a better shot, a wide open 3PT or a contested shot in the paint?

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:26:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
When we hit the ones we realy ought to we become unguardable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

I wonder, what’s a better shot, a wide open 3PT or a contested shot in the paint?
The C's don't really have the roster to get a whole lot better at getting to the rim nor the FT line.  The way they are playing is probably pretty close to optimum with consideration for the personnel save for the to high volume of mid range shots. 

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We are good. The ball just doesn't fall in. Its either bad luck or  Bad shot mechanics

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 12:36:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That's the Brad Stevens system that people round here have grown to love hating.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If you look at the percentages (freq) rather than attempts, we're 3rd in both.  That's really not surprising since we shoot a lot of jumpers.  Surprising the Spurs are 1st from 4-6 ft.  That's pretty amazing considering they shoot the least amount of 3pt shots. 

Some interesting items from other filters. 

51.1% of Houston's shots are 3s followed by the Bucks and the Mavs.   We're 4th at 39.9%.  Spurs are at the bottom at 27.8%. 

The Sixers are 1st in touch time in 0-2 seconds at 60.7% and with 0 dribbles at 49.2%.  I wouldn't have expected that with Embiid being a large part of their offense.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 01:17:47 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If you look at the percentages (freq) rather than attempts, we're 3rd in both.  That's really not surprising since we shoot a lot of jumpers.  Surprising the Spurs are 1st from 4-6 ft.  That's pretty amazing considering they shoot the least amount of 3pt shots. 

Some interesting items from other filters. 

51.1% of Houston's shots are 3s followed by the Bucks and the Mavs.   We're 4th at 39.9%.  Spurs are at the bottom at 27.8%. 

The Sixers are 1st in touch time in 0-2 seconds at 60.7% and with 0 dribbles at 49.2%.  I wouldn't have expected that with Embiid being a large part of their offense.

I actually think that makes what the Celtics and Bucks are doing more impressive while making the Spurs numbers less impressive. The Spurs are taking the shots everyone wants them to take (long twos), so they will probably be left open in those spots by design (ie with Derozan/Forbes/White being iced on the PnR, Aldridge's man dropping all the way to the paint on the high PnR [and he probably sets screens lower than most because he goes for twos rather than threes], etc.)

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 03:56:24 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

There's a higher chance of getting to the line by attacking the pain than jacking up 3s.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:31 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

It's probably a matter of perception. We tend to remember bad shot attempts more than good ones, because they make us angry.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 07:40:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

There's a higher chance of getting to the line by attacking the pain than jacking up 3s.

Not really, getting to the line is a skill. We don't have that personnel. People assume that if we drive to the lane a lot, we would be getting a lot more fts. But that is not the case, it will increase but not by much and at the cost of open shots.