Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83027 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
So even with evidence my claims have no credibility.

Good to know. You seem like a very bright and insightful person with a lot to offer to the world.  :)

Sorry, I'm just struggling to believe you, or guys like Curry & Klay Thompson who are saying we got a 'great' player.  Obviously, they don't think he sucks, his numbers don't show he sucked, so what next ?

Do I believe you, or guys that actually play the game ?

Do you trust Charles Barkley's opinion on advanced statistics?

I actually don't care that you disagree with me -- I care that you seem to be disagreeing with me just to do it: compounded by the fact that you're wasting my time and contributing nothing to the discussion with your disagreement.

BTW, Marcus Smart also called him a 'great player'.

So does great mean he sucks ?  His peers think he's great.  His stats show up as all star type numbers.  Yet you think he sucks ?

Doesn't add up to me, that's all.

« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Again, I have given you a link plenty of reading material that will help you understand where I am coming from if you have any interest in actually addressing the topic at hand, rather than simply being obstinate about phraseology.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #452 on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
no the fear is that he doesn't move the needle enough in a positive direction, and that our team still sucks, but we're now more likely to overachieve to be a 7th seed punching bag.

You can make the argument that there's merit to signing someone like Greg Monroe if you do things this way  -- aka the Milwaukee method -- but, uh, that's Greg Monroe and we can't surround him with a Jabari Parker, you know? Instead we have David Lee and Marcus Smart, and we continue to miss out on the assets to land someone with the potential to be a real game changer.

Here's what we all know:

a) All Celtics fans want the team's ultimate direction to be upward.

b) There are two basic ways of doing that: 1) gradual improvement, with maybe a sudden boost here or there from a key trade or FA signing; and 2) bottoming out and then (hopefully) skyrocketing to the top via using or trading high draft picks.

c) Danny has clearly chosen the former.

If Danny had wanted to tank, he would've done it. Last year's team turned out to be maybe a little better than Danny secretly hoped for, but he couldn't have been surprised—because if he'd wanted to tank, he would not have hired such a good motivator as Brad Stevens. And after that, he would not have made moves such as turning a TPE into Tyler Zeller and Isaiah Thomas. He would've let TPEs expire for nothing. He would've signed a bunch of old shlubs and D-Leaguers.

But since he didn't do those things, and instead did the things he did, it's clear he's going for gradual improvement while maintaining the ability to strike while the iron's hot (whenever it gets hot). I agree that waiting is sometimes hard—I've struggled with the process sometimes—but Danny's course of action is clear, and I think it would be helpful to pro-tankers to give up tanking hopes at this particular point in this particular rebuild. Maybe Danny will tank the next time around, but that's not how things worked out this time—if last season's mismatched collection of assets couldn't miss the playoffs and get a decent draft slot, then the tanking route has no shot this time around.

Given, then, that Danny is taking the gradual-improvement route, getting David Lee is a good move. He's way better than Gerald Wallace, and the combination of Lee and Amir Johnson is a clear upgrade to our frontcourt. I like Sully and KO, but they haven't blown off our doors so far, despite having plenty of opportunity to do so. Plus, Sully's had a lot of injury and weight issues, and Kelly has consistently shown an aversion to being aggressive. I'm all for developing young guys if they're worth developing—that is, if they're going to take advantage of their opportunities. At the very least, having guys like Lee and Johnson around is good motivation for the young guys to step up their game (though they should've already been sufficiently motivated), so if Sully and/or KO are still around at training camp, and neither appears to have made huge strides since last season, why would we want to keep them around any longer?

TP, very well argued.
I like many of your points, but particularly appreciate two of them.
Johnson and Lee will push Sully and KO to compete more for minutes. That's a good thing.
Johnson and Lee also make it easier to trade Sully and/or KO (though arguably more so in the short run because if their minutes start to drop so will their value).
I look at what DA is doing as similar to the red paper clip story (google it).  You take upgrades when you can get them and little by little and over the course of these "trades", even when they are literal trades, you improve your status.

« Reply #453 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Again, I have given you a link plenty of reading material that will help you understand where I am coming from if you have any interest in actually addressing the topic at hand, rather than simply being obstinate about phraseology.

No hard feelings, I just thought Jayman provided you with stats that make it pretty tough to say this player sucks.  You'd have to totally wipe out his stat record to say he sucks, because it couldn't be more farther from the truth.

It's pretty darn far fetched to say that, to be honest.  It's going to lose credibility and people will think you haven't ever seen him play.

« Reply #454 on: July 08, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
For you, maybe, but based on your recent sniping at me this could just be some kind of weird oppositional disorder manifesting itself in new and different ways.

Call it what you will, but you shot yourself in the foot with that one.  Tough to throw it out when somebody throws some true numbers out there.

In case you have any interest, you can see a great many words and numbers about the ways that David Lee is not so good in this thread:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=79651.0

Now, you can disagree with the premise, but you're just bloviating and wasting time right now.

Truthfully, the links to the post on that thread aren't worth a darn. Every one of them is an analysis in isolation or a personal opinion piece. Just because someone runs a blog somewhere doesn't make them an expert.

I don't think Lee is a good defensive player. By every metric he's not. But also by every metric his teams produce while he's on the court. His ORtg is higher than his DRtg in every season but one. His WAR is over the league average. His VORP is decent. His BPM is positive. His win shares are fine. The advanced metrics say that David Lee is a net positive and there's really no debating that. As a result, your assertion that David Lee "sucks" or was an "empty calorie" player simply doesn't hold water.

Now that doesn't mean I want to start a front court of David Lee and Kelly Olynyk. That wouldn't be a good paring. But Lee - if healthy and able to produce like he has in the past - would be a major asset to the team. Why? Because unlike many of the other players, Lee can consistently fill up the box score. He can help with offense down the stretch. Some of his strengths play to existing roster weaknesses.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
So, just for the record: Kirk Goldsberry is not an expert. Tom Zeller: not an expert. The Wages of Wins guys: not experts.

Good to know.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

No hard feelings, I just thought Jayman provided you with stats that make it pretty tough to say this player sucks.  You'd have to totally wipe out his stat record to say he sucks, because it couldn't be more farther from the truth.

It's pretty darn far fetched to say that, to be honest.  It's going to lose credibility and people will think you haven't ever seen him play.

If you think the traditional box score is a good way to measure the ability of a player than I'm sure you would think David Lee is great.

I would also suggest that you apply for a job with either the front office in New York or the one in Sacramento.

« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

If you think the traditional box score is a good way to measure the ability of a player than I'm sure you would think David Lee is great.

I would also suggest that you apply for a job with either the front office in New York or the one in Sacramento.

So because some self-proclaimed expert told you he's bad, you'll believe them despite all statistical evidence (simple and advanced metrics) to the contrary. Got it.

« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

I don't think that.  But I do take in the opinions of guys who played with him like Curry and Thompson.  Add in the opinion of Ainge and Coach Stevens, and there you have it.  If they're on board, and say he's a great player, then who am I to say he sucks ?  The advance stats also prove that he's a net positive and far from suckville so its tough to go against facts.

« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
You can't actually cite any advanced stats, though, can you? You're just parroting Granath. Stats are meaningless without the context attached to them, and unless you can display an understanding of that context it's not worth having a discussion.

So because some self-proclaimed expert told you he's bad, you'll believe them despite all statistical evidence (simple and advanced metrics) to the contrary. Got it.

Adorable. If you want to talk about the validity of numbers and metrics we're already doing it in the other thread, by the way.

« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Jayman already provided you with facts and stats.  So did Granath.  You don't need more stats, although you can look them up yourself if you'd like because its obvious you've never seen him play.

« Reply #461 on: July 08, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The discussion in the last two pages is making my eyes bleed.

« Reply #462 on: July 08, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Likewise.

Again, aingeforthree and anyone else can feel free to look into the other thread (or the first half of this behemoth) on this issue if you're actually interested in my side of the discussion. If you're not, hey, that's your prerogative. I'm sure you will have a very nice summer afternoon either way.

« Reply #463 on: July 08, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
You can't actually cite any advanced stats, though, can you? You're just parroting Granath. Stats are meaningless without the context attached to them, and unless you can display an understanding of that context it's not worth having a discussion.

Adorable. If you want to talk about the validity of numbers and metrics we're already doing it in the other thread, by the way.

Why should he have to cite advanced statistics that I just cited in my post? That's not parroting, that's simply agreement. Also, comprehensive statistics are not context-free. By their very definition they are contextual as they try to engross the whole of a player's contribution.

To summarize, you're insisting something that you have no way of proving and that all statistical evidence points to the contrary. You can try to poke holes in the statistics, but without offering any of your own you have nothing beyond a subjective evaluation based on isolated cases. Which of course is the most flawed type of evaluation someone can make.

And if you somehow come to the conclusion that every statistic doesn't tell the proper story, the onus is on you to come up with a true statistical evaluation and justify it. After all, the stats offered are by far the most common ones used to evaluate players, have been widely accepted and are designed to be comprehensive. But generally trying to toss every stat out the window when making an argument is a sure sign of someone making a unsupportable argument.

By the way, even if that evaluation were correct (which it's statistically not) it's still not contextual. The real question is how David Lee can fit into the Celtics rotation to contribute and not what he did on a prior team. Given the paucity of true scorers and a lack of decent rebounders (beyond Sullinger), Lee brings something to the team that it simply doesn't have much of. With good defenders in the back court and a solid defensive big man in Amir Johnson, it's quite possible that Lee's deficiencies in defense can be covered to some extent while he brings to bear the offensive and rebounding gifts the team needs so desperately.

To conclude, you got nothing.

« Reply #464 on: July 08, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Facepalm. Let it go.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/