Author Topic: Rockets to file protest to NBA. UPDATE: League denies request  (Read 4464 times)

Re: Rockets to file protest to NBA after refs don’t count a made basket.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Officials messed it all up by not reviewing the play right after...heck or even if they played it out, it could have easily been reviewed right after a time out or something and add 2 points in the score just like what these clowns do after a made three that is suspect...they do it all the time  but for some reason chose to ignore this instance.

I think nothing would come out of this as it is but its ineresting what they league would do.

Huh, that is a really good point. They always add or subtract a point on later-reviewed 3-pointers; why in the world couldn't they have done that with this shot? I suppose the NBA didn't think they needed a similar review process for made/missed baskets, but these refs have obviously proven otherwise.

Because it has to be rule-based and if they review this goaltend call automatically they would have to review all of them. Which wouldn't be a terrible idea but isn't the current setup.

Goaltending? This is simply a matter of whether or not the ball went through the hoop. The refs were made quite aware of the matter immediately after it happened. On a made 3/non-3, the refs don't need an official review, they just wait for a time-out and see if the players toe was behind the line. I agree that I could see something similar with goaltending - it is after all just a matter of adding two points during a time-out, but this seems a lot more obvious to me. The ball went in the basket.

The actual call was offensive goaltending aka basket interference, is what I'm saying. That's what they'd be reviewing. You'd have to implement an official policy of categorically automatically reviewing goaltending calls during timeouts to have affected it. The refs don't have the discretion to case-by-case it.

Re: Rockets to file protest to NBA. UPDATE: League denies request
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28261492/rockets-protest-james-harden-missed-dunk-denied

In its appeal, Houston had contested that Harden's dunk not being counted as a basket was a misapplication of rules resulting in an incorrect score and not a judgment call by officials.

In its ruling, the NBA agreed with the Rockets' contention that referees misapplied the rules. However, commissioner Adam Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error "during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

The league did announce that it has disciplined all three referees from the game for misapplying the coach's challenge rule.

Good to see the league disciplined the refs. Also, liked the logic that the Rockets had plenty of time to overcome the ref's decision so they would not warrant the requested protest.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28261492/rockets-protest-james-harden-missed-dunk-denied

In its appeal, Houston had contested that Harden's dunk not being counted as a basket was a misapplication of rules resulting in an incorrect score and not a judgment call by officials.

In its ruling, the NBA agreed with the Rockets' contention that referees misapplied the rules. However, commissioner Adam Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error "during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

The league did announce that it has disciplined all three referees from the game for misapplying the coach's challenge rule.

Good to see the league disciplined the refs. Also, liked the logic that the Rockets had plenty of time to overcome the ref's decision so they would not warrant the requested protest.

Yep.  If the last 8 (or 18) minutes of a game could be replayed, there would be a ton of protests.  If, after replaying the final minutes, the Spurs lost by 2, who’s to say they wouldn’t have something to challenge, necessitating a third replay of the final minutes?

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I understand why the request denied, but I absolutely disagree with the reasoning. Our officials made an egregious mistake that cost you the game, but you should have sucked a little bit less down the stretch in order to overcome it.

Patriots fans got a taste of this yesterday, except they were never (even close to being) in control of the game. It's basically just a 'too bad, so sad' situation in both cases where the refs easily had the ability to remedy their errors.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

I understand why the request denied, but I absolutely disagree with the reasoning. Our officials made an egregious mistake that cost you the game, but you should have sucked a little bit less down the stretch in order to overcome it.

Patriots fans got a taste of this yesterday, except they were never (even close to being) in control of the game. It's basically just a 'too bad, so sad' situation in both cases where the refs easily had the ability to remedy their errors.

I feel officiating in both sports has been especially bad this year.