Author Topic: Will Shaq's Presence Limit Lebron?  (Read 3523 times)

Will Shaq's Presence Limit Lebron?
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I've been thinking about this since they picked up the Big Diesel/Cactus/Shaqolier, but is this marriage between Lebron and Shaq really going to work?  Shaq is a mammoth body like we all know who is at his best when positioned deep on the post where he can bang inside.  Lebron, while his jump shot has been improving, relies on driving the basketball to the hoop to be most effective.  Is Shaq's presence down low going to limit Lebron's ability to get to the hoop.  With Shaq and his defender filling an entire driving lane (or two), I just don't see how this move really is going to help Cleveland on the offensive end.  Especially at this point in his career, Shaq is entirely restricted to the low post for his success.  Any thoughts?

Re: Will Shaq's Presence Limit Lebron?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
I've been thinking about this since they picked up the Big Diesel/Cactus/Shaqolier, but is this marriage between Lebron and Shaq really going to work?  Shaq is a mammoth body like we all know who is at his best when positioned deep on the post where he can bang inside.  Lebron, while his jump shot has been improving, relies on driving the basketball to the hoop to be most effective.  Is Shaq's presence down low going to limit Lebron's ability to get to the hoop.  With Shaq and his defender filling an entire driving lane (or two), I just don't see how this move really is going to help Cleveland on the offensive end.  Especially at this point in his career, Shaq is entirely restricted to the low post for his success.  Any thoughts?

Shaq has always been a paint camper, but it never stopped Kobe, Penny or Wade from driving to the hoop. I don't think that's the problem.

I think the bigger problem is that against Orlando, Mike Browns philosophy of playing a slow pace heart them as Cleveland was getting beat by double digits in most games in terms of transition buckets. I know  Lebron probably wants to speed up the pace a little, and I don't know how Shaq helps that.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
True but Shaq was more athletic with Penny and Kobe and was more useful further away from the basket.  Furthermore, Kobe was a much better shooter than Lebron.  I was thinking about D. Wade when I presented this question.  That situation worked so I guess this one will also.  I guess the only difference is that Wade has a much better midrange game with jumpers and runners where he didn't have to get all the way to the basket to score.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »

Offline victorycigar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Offensively, I think Shaq is going to make LeBron even better (scary thought).  A shot blocker can't leave Shaq around the circle, and LeBron is a more gifted passer than any other player Shaq has played with.  Expect to see a lot of LeBron to Shaq alley-oops when players collapse on LeBron.

It's on the defensive end where Shaq is going to be huge liability.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
This is a legitimate concern for the Cavs.  Some other things I think should be pointed out as well - we are the only contending team that has not acquired someone who will be directly inserted into the starting line-up.  I think the Cavs, Orlando, Spurs, and Lakers will need some time to adjust to their new players.  They've all acquired stars who have made names for themselves from what they've done with the ball in their hands.  Of course good teams adapt, but it may be a slight advantage to the celts out of the gate.  Second, with Shaq you have another great advantage playing against the cavs.  Shaq cannot be relied upon at the end of games because of his career long problems shooting free throws.  He is also a big body as you said, and as some others have pointed out, this allows for you to attack the Cavs by putting two big men who can shoot on the floor (i.e. Garnett, Wallace.)  Shaq is obviously a big presence, but one that has to be accounted for not only for opposing teams, but for the Cavs themselves as well.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
the quick thought is shaq being so huge will block the paint for lebron to drive / get in the way but shaq will play team ball, serious rebounder, good outlet passer
lebron can drive then shaq will come to lane for passes
at this pt in his career shaq doesn't need to be the man and doesn't need the ball, he can score 15 a game on dump offs and put backs easy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Offensively, I think Shaq is going to make LeBron even better (scary thought).  A shot blocker can't leave Shaq around the circle, and LeBron is a more gifted passer than any other player Shaq has played with.  Expect to see a lot of LeBron to Shaq alley-oops when players collapse on LeBron.

A agree that it could potentially make Lebron more dangerous, but Lebron is a more gifted passer than Steve Nash?  You lost me there.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Where Shaq helps in these situations where other big men camped down low don't is his defender is not going to leave him.  If they do, Lebron is just going to drop it over the defender for many, many easy Shaq dunks.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Shaq didn't impede D Wade driving to the hoop when they won in 2006.  Don't see him limiting LeBron too much.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I think that Shaq's presence will ultimately generate egos issues in the team, because he will share the spotlight with LeBron or even steal it to him, and LeBron has always been the team's lone star before.

According to RealGM ("The Suns traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Cavaliers last month, and it may have been partially because of his personality. According to sources, O'Neal antics wore out quickly in the Phoenix locker room."), Shaq was not appreciated in Phoenix and I think he will be the source of the same problems in Cleveland.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Shaq will be clogging the lane. Half Lebrons dunks this year will be on HIS defender, and Shaq.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
It wont really hurt LeBron that much, but I do not think that Shaq will be any better than big Z. Z can hit those mid range jumpers very well, clearing the lane for LeBron. Shaq will force opposing centers to stay on him, but will still clog up the lane a little, making things slightly more difficult for James.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Nah, I don't think so. I just like having him around to miss free throws, it's a heck of a nice commodity in comparison to Z, I've always feared that guy. Lebron's so many steps ahead of everyone I can't see Shaq getting the way, lots of baby lay ins for the Big (insert new nickname). Mike Brown's not as dumb as those Phoenix clowns, they won't revolve an offense around him, I don't think he'll have the usual impact this time around, in spite of last season's rebirth. We'll see if the ego of "the best C in the league" gets in the way, that's a bigger problem than the body clogging the lane.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No, I think Shaq will change what LeBron does but for the better. Having a big man with good hands who can finish will only help LeBron on drives. If LeBron wasn't such a good passer it might limit him, but unfortunately for the league, he is a great distributor.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »

Offline victorycigar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4

A agree that it could potentially make Lebron more dangerous, but Lebron is a more gifted passer than Steve Nash?  You lost me there.

I was comparing LeBron to Kobe, Wade, and Penny Hardaway (SF-types whose game involves driving the lane and attacking the basket).

I forgot about Nash, but to be honest, Nash's style (up tempo run and gun) does not fit with Shaq's style (slow down, walk it up, half court).  Nash in the half court is not the same threat that LeBron is.  LeBron's passing game is augmented by the threat he poses to the defense in the half court.  Nash is nowhere near the same threat in the half court and can't open up the passing lanes that LeBron can.