Good or bad idea?

Good
3 (27.3%)
Bad
6 (54.5%)
Unsure
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: NBA G League is experimenting this season with single foul shot  (Read 3209 times)

Re: NBA G League is experimenting this season with single foul shot
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If I'm not mistaken, players are more likely to miss the 1st FT than the 2nd, because they have a better rhythm and can adjust. So this might drive down expected points from FTs, especially from shaky shooters.

I'm still pretty interested to see how it works out for them, it's a change that could speed the game up a lot.

I just think there are better ways to speed up the game without having to make such a fundamental change to the way the game is played on the floor.   And this will definitely change things a lot.  It not only changes the way defenders will defend but also how coaches will make substitutions.

Why not trim a few seconds from each intermission?   Or swap one more of the regular timeouts for a 20 second timeout?

Or just make the referees and players get organized for the FT shot quicker.   There seems to be a ton of time wasted with players and refs milling about before even the first shot is taken.   Enforce a short timer such that if a player isn't in position where he's supposed to be for the FT shot either the FT is automatically awarded or missed, depending on whether he is on defense or offense.   Fine refs for not getting the ball to the hands of the shooter.  And if the shooter takes too long to shoot, count it as a miss.

Make the participants do what they should normally be doing faster.  Don't make them do weird, different things.

And what, exactly is the obsession we have in recent years with making all sporting events shorter?????   Me, I want my money's worth when I go to a game!

Maybe abolish the mandatory hand slap after each shot (whether made or missed).

Ha-ha!  Yep.   Although I used to love watching KG lead that after every free throw!  That was part of the entertainment!

That would, of course, disappear under this new rule, since play would resume after the single free throw.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.