Author Topic: Killian Hayes worked out for Celtics; athleticism a letdown  (Read 7655 times)

Killian Hayes worked out for Celtics; athleticism a letdown
« on: November 17, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
“I’ve long had Killian Hayes as the top guy on my overall big board and especially the Celtics big board,” offered Weiss in his recent Celtics-oriented big board piece assembled with fellow Boston beat writer Jay King.

“But then I heard from a source that was at a Hayes workout that his open floor athleticism was way worse than they expected — something that is alarming considering we already knew he was a mediocre open floor athlete who thrives off shiftiness and leverage in the half court.”

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/nba-boston-celtics-hayes-workout-dod-not-work-out-so-well/

Re: Killian Hayes worked out for Celtics; athleticism a letdown
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rather have Hampton

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not sure what that is suppose to mean. Also not sure "open court athleticism" was a big deal to many of the Celtic greats. Also, also not sure "open court athleticism" is a big deal come playoff time.

Wonder if the goal is to deflate his value to be able to pick him in the mid lottery.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Rather have Hampton

Hampton comes with question marks as well. Shooting and pg capability vs putting head down and driving to the basket.  Even when there are players waiting for him or open player.  Has his PNR game improved? What about any improvement/mass to body?

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Interesting. I was listening to this podcast last night but must have fell asleep when that was mentioned!!

Could be a smokescreen.

Or maybe KOC is way off base. He was the guy who started the KH is number one on his big board.

Still intrigued if he dropped to 14.  Brandon Roy was awfully slow too, but was awesome PG until derailed by knee injuries.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, if he’s there at 14 we take him, right?  It just seems like very good value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Rather have Hampton

I'm in your camp, RJ is the guy for me, specially if we stay at 14.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I mean, if he’s there at 14 we take him, right?  It just seems like very good value.

10/10 times

Hayes is going to be a very very good player.

the Athleticism thing is not a big issue to me personally. He has exceptional court awareness, is an excellent playmaker and is very intelligent.

An absolute steal at 14.

I might have Halliburton above him as a pg, but at some points I dont.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

10/10 times

the Athleticism thing is not a big issue to me personally. He has exceptional court awareness, is an excellent playmaker and is very intelligent.

An absolute steal at 14.

Hayes is the guy I want.  If he can improve his catch and shoot he will be elite.  The C's don't have any real burners.  Jaylen can burn.  Kemba is quick but he's not a burner.  I don't think this is necessary because hayes has elite vision.  He can shoot off the dribble and can do well in PnR situations.  If he's drafted by the C's he's a combo guard and another ball handler on the court.  The C's like having multiple ball handlers on the court at the same time.  No one strictly runs the point every play.  I love this kid and would be thrilled if he was a celtic after tomorrow night.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Rather have Hampton

Hampton comes with question marks as well. Shooting and pg capability vs putting head down and driving to the basket.  Even when there are players waiting for him or open player.  Has his PNR game improved? What about any improvement/mass to body?
the story now is that hampton has rebuilt his shooting mechanics and is a credible shooter. if so, he becomes one of the best players in the draft.

as for the "head down" comment, that may be, but he is 19 years old, went from HS to a pro league (yes, not a top one, but still filled with grown men), and was not used well by the coach.

so, on the second point it may be more circumstances than an inability.

But building on that, i read that hampton does not make the difficult passes that elite players do. so that is something to consider as well. he may be a combo guard. but under CBS that may be all right.

hampton at 14 would be fine by me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I never understood all the hype he was getting.  He is pretty consistently in the 5-10 range in all the mocks.  Hard to say for sure he is any better than other options.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Rather have Hampton

the story now is that hampton has rebuilt his shooting mechanics and is a credible shooter. if so, he becomes one of the best players in the draft.

as for the "head down" comment, that may be, but he is 19 years old, went from HS to a pro league (yes, not a top one, but still filled with grown men), and was not used well by the coach.

so, on the second point it may be more circumstances than an inability.

But building on that, i read that hampton does not make the difficult passes that elite players do. so that is something to consider as well. he may be a combo guard. but under CBS that may be all right.

hampton at 14 would be fine by me.

ok good to know. I'm sure the Celts tried to test out all of these perceived weaknesses at the workout

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
You can stay put and get Hampton at 14 if it comes to that. Use the other picks on draft and stash guys.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

10/10 times

An absolute steal at 14.

The thing with Danny is... When was the last time he drafted a non above average athlete/explosiveness with the 1st pick of the 1st round?

Maybe Jared Sullinger?   

He reached for Terry Rozier at 16 even though there were several prospects (not quite the athlete) but considered higher ranked.  He took a gamble on Timelord due to elite verticality etc.  He drafted Langford over Alexandre-Walker.  Ainge does like his above average athletes.  Otherwise prospects with strength.   

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

10/10 times

An absolute steal at 14.

Hayes is the guy I want.  If he can improve his catch and shoot he will be elite.  The C's don't have any real burners.  Jaylen can burn.  Kemba is quick but he's not a burner.  I don't think this is necessary because hayes has elite vision.  He can shoot off the dribble and can do well in PnR situations.  If he's drafted by the C's he's a combo guard and another ball handler on the court.  The C's like having multiple ball handlers on the court at the same time.  No one strictly runs the point every play.  I love this kid and would be thrilled if he was a celtic after tomorrow night.

He is potentially a top 5 PG in the future. He shot is a little wonky right now, but he has things that cannot be taught.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic