Author Topic: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!  (Read 9102 times)

Re: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:15 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I guess I expected a Borgdon type player to cost us between 15-20mil.  If it takes us 27.25 mil wow...I am not sure he is worth that.  But what do i know?

20 million gets brogdon.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:41 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
With Kyrie Irving and Al Horford on the verge of leaving, we will have the cap space to offer the max, or close. Now before you call me crazy, here's why we should do it for Malcolm Brogdon?

Now I get it, he's not really an all-star caliber player, not worthy of the max. True, but he's also a very good player.

- only 26.
- averaged 50-40-90 shooting this year.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.
- can play in any system, as a PG, as a SG, as a guy who handle the ball, or as a guy who can play off it.
- only 4 years in the league, his max wouldn't be crippling to the club.

So, at worst, we overpay a guy who can average 16 - 5 - 5 for us with terrific efficiency, a good defender, and an excellent fit to the squad. At best, maybe he do much better with more playing time (played 28 minutes per game last season).

The kicker to this, it puts the Milwaukee Bucks in a position. Match it and they deal with luxury tax implications moving forward. They don't, they lose an excellent bench player.

This might be very rash and reactionary to the news that just dropped, but really, the more I think about it, the more it's starting to make sense.

All reports indicate his value is 15 to 16 mill per season.

But someone will pry him from the bucks, who already have 70 mill committed at will need to offer middleton the max, resign lopez, sign their pick,  and renounce all they can. And drop hills contract to the 1 mill guarantee and they will be sitting at roughly 112 million.

Hard cap is at roughly 132.

So 20 mill is the space left, but bucks will want to use exemptions amd resign mirotic...so that reduces the number they will match.

21 million, maybe 22 is the number that gets Brogdon. Not the max.

Celtics offer 22 million, when brogdon accepts and bucka do not match, you then offer them smart in a sign and trade saving team enough to chase cousins. Or just sign randle with remaining capspace

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:40 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Brogdon is a nice player. Not giving him a max deal though. He would be a good fit in Boston.

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2019, 07:36:11 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
And i was thinking of way to make this off season even worst

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’d be very much onboard signing Brogdon. Maybe not max (I don’t think we have max?) but definitely more than Smart. What gives me pause is that Brogdon seems like a guy you add on to be your 2nd or 3rd best player. If we had an AD, I think getting Brogdon alongside Hayward would be amazing.
- LilRip

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2019, 07:54:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just don't see this happening folks.

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 08:35:40 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I like Brogdon, but I have no interest in him at the max.  You don't sink 25-30% of the cap in a role player.  That's the type of deal that weighs a team down for years.

I think that's the only way we sway him to go. Not offering him the max and Milwaukee matches any offer.

I understand he will be overpaid with the max, but he'd still be a very good player for us. And it will weaken our competition.

These are really bad arguments: 'overpay, because he's a good player anyway' / 'it weakens our competition'.

If you use that type of arguments, I think you know deep down that signing Brogdon for a max contract is probably a bad idea, but you don't have someone better so you convince yourself that in a best-case-scenario he's worth it anyway.

In fairness Brogdon is a really good player. In most statistics (advanced stats love Brogdon) he's right on par with his teammate Middleton (whom I also wouldn't pay the max, by the way), but the big difference between the two is that Middleton is able to increase his production in the playoffs and Brogdon is not (Brogdon playoff averages on a 20 game-sample: 10/4/3). I believe that tells exactly what kind of a player Brogdon is.

Brogdon is a highly efficient versatile player who shouldn't be expected to take on a heavy scoring load. Since Brogdon isn't an exceptional dribbler or passer you can't make him a centre point of your offense and that automatically means that he's not a Star-level player.

Don't sign role players to maximum contracts, doesn't matter how great and important they might be.

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I like Brogdon, but I have no interest in him at the max.  You don't sink 25-30% of the cap in a role player.  That's the type of deal that weighs a team down for years.

I think that's the only way we sway him to go. Not offering him the max and Milwaukee matches any offer.

I understand he will be overpaid with the max, but he'd still be a very good player for us. And it will weaken our competition.

These are really bad arguments: 'overpay, because he's a good player anyway' / 'it weakens our competition'.

If you use that type of arguments, I think you know deep down that signing Brogdon for a max contract is probably a bad idea, but you don't have someone better so you convince yourself that in a best-case-scenario he's worth it anyway.

In fairness Brogdon is a really good player. In most statistics (advanced stats love Brogdon) he's right on par with his teammate Middleton (whom I also wouldn't pay the max, by the way), but the big difference between the two is that Middleton is able to increase his production in the playoffs and Brogdon is not (Brogdon playoff averages on a 20 game-sample: 10/4/3). I believe that tells exactly what kind of a player Brogdon is.

Brogdon is a highly efficient versatile player who shouldn't be expected to take on a heavy scoring load. Since Brogdon isn't an exceptional dribbler or passer you can't make him a centre point of your offense and that automatically means that he's not a Star-level player.

Don't sign role players to maximum contracts, doesn't matter how great and important they might be.

Brogdon is worth 15 mill.

He isnt as great a defender as Smart, but he is far superior offensively. Smart got 12, Brogdon is worth 15.

I do firmly believe that the number to pry him away from Milwaukee though is 18-20 mill.

And I would offer that.

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Although I like Brogdon and he's a very good player he is definitely not worth anywhere close to the max. I understand the OPs reasoning though and he was thinking out of the box, so I appreciate it.

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
With Kyrie Irving and Al Horford on the verge of leaving, we will have the cap space to offer the max, or close. Now before you call me crazy, here's why we should do it for Malcolm Brogdon?

Now I get it, he's not really an all-star caliber player, not worthy of the max. True, but he's also a very good player.

- only 26.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.
- can play in any system, as a PG, as a SG, as a guy who handle the ball, or as a guy who can play off it.

So, at worst, we overpay a guy who can average 16 - 5 - 5 for us with terrific efficiency, a good defender, and an excellent fit to the squad. At best, maybe he do much better with more playing time (played 28 minutes per game last season).

The kicker to this, it puts the Milwaukee Bucks in a position. Match it and they deal with luxury tax implications moving forward. They don't, they lose an excellent bench player.

This might be very rash and reactionary to the news that just dropped, but really, the more I think about it, the more it's starting to make sense.

But someone will pry him from the bucks, who already have 70 mill committed at will need to offer middleton the max, resign lopez, sign their pick,  and renounce all they can. And drop hills contract to the 1 mill guarantee and they will be sitting at roughly 112 million.

So 20 mill is the space left, but bucks will want to use exemptions amd resign mirotic...so that reduces the number they will match.

Celtics offer 22 million, when brogdon accepts and bucka do not match, you then offer them smart in a sign and trade saving team enough to chase cousins. Or just sign randle with remaining capspace

If $22 million AAV gets it done, then we should do it.

If he's getting more opportunities and an extended role, I really see Malcolm Brogdon as a 20-5-5 guy, with good defense, and a guy who fits around Jay and Jay without taking away their shots and hindering their development. He's going to be a versatile guy who can play possibly three positions if needed too, and is ultra unselfish. That is a very good player to have, either if we are rebuilding or trying to compete.

I mentioned the max because I want to make sure the Bucks are in position to either lose him, or lose the ability to add more players. Yeah it's an overpay, but for 4 years / $117 million, I really don't think it's as crippling a contract moving forward, especially with the cap rising and Gordon Hayward's contract going off the books in two years.

But again, if $22 million AAV gets it done, then that's the line. A very good player, and we weaken our opponents, he's really worth having.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

- only 26.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.

If he's getting more opportunities and an extended role, I really see Malcolm Brogdon as a 20-5-5 guy, with good defense, and a guy who fits around Jay and Jay without taking away their shots and hindering their development. He's going to be a versatile guy who can play possibly three positions if needed too, and is ultra unselfish. That is a very good player to have, either if we are rebuilding or trying to compete.

I mentioned the max because I want to make sure the Bucks are in position to either lose him, or lose the ability to add more players. Yeah it's an overpay, but for 4 years / $117 million, I really don't think it's as crippling a contract moving forward, especially with the cap rising and Gordon Hayward's contract going off the books in two years.

But again, if $22 million AAV gets it done, then that's the line. A very good player, and we weaken our opponents, he's really worth having.

This is the guy I have been clamoring for as my pipe dream FA.  Assuming he would actually want to come here.  Good Defender.  Great shooter.  Big PG.  Can play well with the team.  I would love this guy but RFA's are hard to get.

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I'd be all in on Brogdon for $15-$20m.  Wouldn't want to pay that type of a player the Max.

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Way to much. 

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
Agreed.  Can you imagine him on the floor with Smart and Brown?  Good spacing, insane effort, and lock-down defense.  I would LOVE to watch those three play together.

- only 26.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.

This is the guy I have been clamoring for as my pipe dream FA.  Assuming he would actually want to come here.  Good Defender.  Great shooter.  Big PG.  Can play well with the team.  I would love this guy but RFA's are hard to get.

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
The more I read the comments in the this thread the more I think a BIG offer to him is worth it.  I seriously LOVE him as a player.  Horford was considered by many to be an overpay last year, but many thought he was worth it because of all the non-stat stuff he brought to the table.  I could see Brogdan being like that.  And if we make him an offer and Milwaukee matches, then we cap-strap them for a long time.  And if they don't match, we might see Giannis grow impatient with their miserly ways and start down the AD road.

- only 26.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.