Author Topic: Lonzo, 19 Minutes off the Bench  (Read 3066 times)

Lonzo, 19 Minutes off the Bench
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Lonzo did not start the game opener for the Lakers last night in favor of Rajon Rondo.

What's the track record for a player starting his rookie year and then being moved to the bench for his second year? That kind of backwards trajectory seems like a bad sign and I'm having trouble thinking of an all star that took a path like that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Lonzo, 19 Minutes off the Bench
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Cant wait for Lamar to open his big mouth and make things fun in Lalaland.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I doubt he makes any noise

He s been quiet since Lebron joined the Lakers. I don't think it's a coincidence.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lonzo has been hurt and is transitioning back.  I suspect he starts over the next few weeks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Lonzo did not start the game opener for the Lakers last night in favor of Rajon Rondo.

What's the track record for a player starting his rookie year and then being moved to the bench for his second year? That kind of backwards trajectory seems like a bad sign and I'm having trouble thinking of an all star that took a path like that.

It's too early to say he's been moved to the bench.

The reason for the low minutes and not starting is because he's on a minutes restriction coming back from a knee injury, only played 1 preseason game, missed most of training camp, etc.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

He s been quiet since Lebron joined the Lakers. I don't think it's a coincidence.

So what do you think is going on?

• Media/public is tired of LaVar, and he's no longer generating traffic?
  • LeBron let it be known he's going to blackball anybody who reports on LaVar?
  • Or maybe the media is just trying to stay on LeBron's good side, and no threat from LeBron is actually needed?
  • LeBron has paid hush money to LaVar (Bill Simmons theory)?
  • Something else?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

• Or maybe the media is just trying to stay on LeBron's good side, and no threat from LeBron is actually needed?
  • Something else?
Its just a matter of time until he opens his mouth again. its in his DNA.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Lonzo looks like he's added some bulk this off-season.  My guess is they're going to play their vets heavily at the start of the season to try to establish a culture.  With that club it's going to be very interesting to watch who meshes with LeBron vs who doesn't.

LaVar has probably shut up because it's by no means a sure thing that Lonzo stays there long term. It's now LeBron's team.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

• Something else?

I put my money on the Lakers and Lebron telling him that his son will be traded if he opens his mouth.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

• Something else?

I put my money on the Lakers and Lebron telling him that his son will be traded if he opens his mouth.
that would be my guess as well.  Lakers didn't land the best player in the game just to have to have him contend with the loudmouth dad trying to run his son's career and the Laker front office. 

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Lakers are paying Lavar Ball off, aren't they? Wasn't that in the press towards the end of last opening of free agency? That they put Lavar on the payroll so he wouldn't screw up the acquisition of LeBron James.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Lakers should start Lonzo Ball at SG. He'd do great next to LeBron to Rondo. Ball would get much more open 3 point looks which would surely help him since he is a capable shooter but has a slow release which makes it hard for him on contested jumpers. I also think Lonzo's quick passing and cutting would be brilliant next to LeBron and Rondo. That extra strength that Lonzo has built up will help him a lot on cuts and lobs going to the basket.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The Lakers should start Lonzo Ball at SG. He'd do great next to LeBron to Rondo. Ball would get much more open 3 point looks which would surely help him since he is a capable shooter but has a slow release which makes it hard for him on contested jumpers. I also think Lonzo's quick passing and cutting would be brilliant next to LeBron and Rondo. That extra strength that Lonzo has built up will help him a lot on cuts and lobs going to the basket.

I think Hart should start. They definitely need more shooting on the floor with the starters.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

It's too early to say he's been moved to the bench.

The reason for the low minutes and not starting is because he's on a minutes restriction coming back from a knee injury, only played 1 preseason game, missed most of training camp, etc.

TP. I didn't realize he was on a minutes restriction. It did seem weird.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

That sounds like a terrible idea. If Lonzo isn’t the PG he’s a wasted asset. Lakers either have high aspirations for him or they don’t. Lakers need to be careful with his development because GM LeBron obviously has no patience.