Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16039 times)

OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So Thunder play-by-play announcer Brian Davis made a comment about Westbrook in their final game, basically in awe of Westbrook's performance:

https://streamable.com/2kkiy

Thunder have suspended him 1 game for that comment.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/13/thunder-russell-westbrook-brian-davis-announcer-comment

"We think obviously the use of that term is offensive and inappropriate, and I expressed that to Brian [Wednesday] night," Mahoney told Katz. "Brian assures me it was not meant in any derogatory way, and he apologizes. But again, we feel strongly that it's inappropriate and offensive."

And Davis has since released this statement:
It is with great remorse and humility that I accept this suspension for the insensitive words I used during Wednesday's broadcast. While unintentional, I understand and acknowledge the gravity of the situation. I offer my sincere apology and realize that, while I committed a lapse in judgment, such mistakes come with consequences. This is an appropriate consequence for my actions.

The reaction I've seen from most people is that they thought this was a common phrase that they didn't consider racist, but now that they think about they can see how it seems racist.  I'm with them.  And really a one game suspension is a slap on the wrist here, no big deal.

But anyway, I seemed to be on the opposite side of most here on the opinion of the Patty Mills incident.  Interested in what people here think about this whole situation.

Inexcusable?  Obviously racist?  Not racist?  Should be fired?  Overreaction?  Too PC? Etc.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's racist and something you really can't get away with saying in today's world but I don't think Davis' intent was malicious at all. 

More just a slip of the tongue than anything.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Not the best choice of words but people forget it's live TV.  There are no edits or do overs when you're live and to expect someone to be 'on' all the time for however many broadcasts they do is just a little unreasonable.  How many times does OKC (or most NBA teams) mail in a game and play like crap? Are announcers not allowed to have a mulligan or two?

You have on your game for 2 to 3 hours a night, probably 90+ times a year - to people who jump all over the guy for one slip up I'd say be real. 

I'm sure those lobbing the grenades have never had an off day at work ever.  On the other hand if there's a history of this stuff, that's different - but otherwise people are just too hypersensitive. 

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Nooooo...just an old saying..has nothing to do with race geez
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Not the best choice of words but people forget it's live TV.  There are no edits or do overs when you're live and to expect someone to be 'on' all the time for however many broadcasts they do is just a little unreasonable.  How many times does OKC (or most NBA teams) mail in a game and play like crap? Are announcers not allowed to have a mulligan or two?

You have on your game for 2 to 3 hours a night, probably 90+ times a year - to people who jump all over the guy for one slip up I'd say be real. 

I'm sure those lobbing the grenades have never had an off day at work ever.  On the other hand if there's a history of this stuff, that's different - but otherwise people are just too hypersensitive.

This is how I feel. If this guy was really racist and there was malicious intent, it would have come out earlier spending thousands of hours doing live play by play for a sport that majority african american players.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Definitely come a long way from Cedric Maxwell telling Violet Palmer to get back in the kitchen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/28/AR2007022802150.html

No punishment when he said that back in '07, don't think he'd come out of that with his job intact today.  And for the record, that was DEFINITELY inappropriate, no argument from me there.  I'm just surprised how times have changed so much since then.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always thought of it as an old saying used as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:45:31 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I always thought of it as an old sayingaused as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?

this is kinda where im at.  Ive heard the phrase a ton of times over the years whether it be someone saying it or hearing it on tv.  Its one of those things you just never think of the meaning behind it, its just a saying people have said
Greg

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Really? I mean really?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Definitely come a long way from Cedric Maxwell telling Violet Palmer to get back in the kitchen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/28/AR2007022802150.html

No punishment when he said that back in '07, don't think he'd come out of that with his job intact today.  And for the record, that was DEFINITELY inappropriate, no argument from me there.  I'm just surprised how times have changed so much since then.

I had forgotten about that! Crazy indeed

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always thought of it as an old sayingaused as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?

this is kinda where im at.  Ive heard the phrase a ton of times over the years whether it be someone saying it or hearing it on tv.  Its one of those things you just never think of the meaning behind it, its just a saying people have said
Yeah, I am pretty sure the first time I heard it was on television, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon or an old western movie or something like that.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Sounds pretty bad to me.
And I am usually not over sensitive for racist type stuff.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sounds pretty bad to me.
And I am usually not over sensitive for racist type stuff.

I feel the same way. TP.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It certainly sounds insensitive, but not racist. Like I'm not offended and I know probably 99% of people wouldn't be offended until they were told to be.

I think we still say a lot of things that sound bad and no one even takes note. Like calling people "black" is totally ok today. It feels weird to me and I'd put some money down that it will sound offensive in some future generations.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Nooooo...just an old saying..has nothing to do with race geez
hmmm....actually in response to your post, yes it is old. no, it is very much connected to race. it was an old term when i was growing up, but it clearly was connected to the cotton fields and slavery.

it is not appropriate nowadays. but it was also not intended, i think, to be a ill-intended remark.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva