Author Topic: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?  (Read 13251 times)

Re: What should the Celtics do this Offseason?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
(1) Trade the Clippers Pick, and their complex arrangement with the Mavs  (which has contingencies through 2021) to the Mavs for their pick this year, and draft Wisconsin teammates Kaminsky and Dekker.

(2) Pick up Luol Deng on a lower annual, longer term deal, and re-sign Brandon Bass on a shorter term, higher annual value deal.

(3). Trade Kelly Olynyk and James Young to Sacramento for Ben McLemore. (Before you slam me on this - try and imagine how effective Olynyk and Cousins could be if KO could find his outside range. He was pretty good at the beginning of the year, but is clearly tired out by the season).

(4) Godfather offer the C's own 2016 draft pick, Jae Crowder, and Sully (or the equivalent) to the 76ers for Nerlens Noel (assuming, as projected, they win the draft, and end up having three centers under contract).

Start Deng, Zeller, Noel, Evan Turner, AB (with Kaminsky, Dekker, Isaiah Thomas, Smart and Bass coming off the bench) for the first part of the year, and then, if possible, move to a Kaminsky, Noel, Dekker, McLemore, Smart starting five by mid-year. Try and improve at shooting guard or center in the next year's draft.

(5) If Smart is unable to show the kind of floor leadership necessary to get that group the ball, then package him, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick (which should be awesome) mid-year to the Magic (who will probably be terrible again) for Elfrid Payton.

Put a lot of thought into this, and would love to hear any thoughts anyone has.
1) I wouldn't do the proposed Mavs trade.  With Rondo and Chandler being free agents and Ellis having a player option, there's a decent chance the Dallas pick next year would be late lottery. 

2) I wouldn't bother with older free agents like Deng or even Gasol.  We may make the playoffs but I think we're quite a ways away from being a championship contender.  I'd focus on the younger free agents.

3) I haven't seen enough of McLemore to assess the quality of the trade proposal but I'd have no problem trading KO or Young for a reasonable return. 

4) That isn't nearly enough to be a godfather offer for Noel.  Our 2016 1st will probably end up being late lottery or mid 1st.  Crowder is a free agent and has little value.  I don't know why people keep proposing trades with Sully going to the Sixers.  Sully isn't the type of player that the Sixers want plus he's injured plus he's in a contract year.  I'd love to get Noel but it would take a much better offer for the Sixers to agree. 

5) I'm not sold on Smart but Smart and the Brooklyn 2016 1st is way too much for Payton.   

(A) What do you think would be enough for Noel?

(B) What do you think of drafting Kaminsky/Dekker? (And pairing that duo with Noel)

(C) What do you think it would take to get Elfrid Payton from Orlando?
I don't they'd trade Noel for anything that we have right now.  To get him, I think three things need to happen.  First, Embiid stays healthy and plays up to his superstar potential next season.  Second, Noel proves unable to make the switch to PF so the Noel/Embiid pairing isn't effective.  Third, our Brooklyn 2016 pick is a top 5 pick next year.  If all that happens, I think a trade could be built around the Brooklyn pick and another good first. 

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Kawhi and WCS.

Find a way to sign Kawhi, and move up in the draft and grab WCS.
If you add Kawhi to Smart, Bradley, Crowder, you're talking the makings of an elite defensive team that can pressure teams, and also score pretty well. Let the impact scorers come off the bench, like IT.

Willie Cauley Stein is going to be a stellar defensive center. He's made for todays NBA at the center position.
It's not that he's a real 7'... he's quick, athletic and fast, and long enough, he defends out to the 3 point line, he can defend all 5 positions on the court. His lateral quickness is special, plus he jumps out of the building.
He will improve enough on the offensive end to make a small impact. 

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Kawhi and WCS.

If you add Kawhi to Smart, Bradley, Crowder, you're talking the makings of an elite defensive team that can pressure teams, and also score pretty well. Let the impact scorers come off the bench, like IT.

Willie Cauley Stein is going to be a stellar defensive center. He's made for todays NBA at the center position.
It's not that he's a real 7'... he's quick, athletic and fast, and long enough, he defends out to the 3 point line, he can defend all 5 positions on the court. His lateral quickness is special, plus he jumps out of the building.

But he hasn't played a single game in the NBA. No one can know for sure how his game will translate from college to the pros.

Also, as good as Kawhi is, I don't think just adding him and Stein makes us a championship team.

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade KO, Boston 2015 (15), Clippers 2015(26),  2016 philly 2nd to Kings for the 6th pick to draft Stanley Johnson.

Trade AB and Philly second to Charlotte for their 2015 1st (12-10 range pick) and Lance(buy out). Draft WCS or Turner.

Resign Bass and Crowder if not too much $.

Smart/IT/Pressey
Turner/Young
SJ/Crowder/Crash
Sully/Bass
Zeller/WCS.

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Kawhi and WCS.

But he hasn't played a single game in the NBA. No one can know for sure how his game will translate from college to the pros.

Also, as good as Kawhi is, I don't think just adding him and Stein makes us a championship team.
While you are right that we cant know how WCS will turn out, he does have the measurables in abundance. He is a legit 7 ft with long arms and has shown good defensive instincts. Further more he is really athletic and quick. He can stay with many guards at the college level and seeing as Brad loves switching, this all points to him being a really food defensive center. For me the question is can his offensive game turn into even just passable.

Also Kawhi is a stud and I dont think we would get him but can you imagine how could the defense would be if you have Smart, AB, Kawhi, WCS all on the floor. Keep in mind you would have the explosive offense of IT off the bench and KO and Sully are both pretty good scorers, thats not to mention James Young potentially turning into a legit scorer.

That team might not be a championship contender but if Smart, Young, KO, Sully, and AB make reasonable improvements it could certainly threaten for a 3 seed and an appearence in the ECF.

And this would be before spending the 3 nets picks from 2016-2018

Note: none of this takes into account the potential cost of players/picks to get Kawhi/WCS this year

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
If Noel had come back from injury sluggish then they wouldn't hesitate to trade him

But as he is looking like a future stud , they probably keep him if embiiid doesn't work out or even if Noel can't play the 4 alongside embiiid
I think embiiid can play some 4, in college he was hitting some mid range shots

My plan for the Cs offseason is
Try get love, Leonard, butler or cousins

If that fails do not settle for older veterans like gasol or deng that will not help us win in the future

Try getting value with the picks we have

Let bass, jerebko and  Randolph walk
resign crowder and datome
Trade turner for an asset if he's value has gone up and teams show interest 

Then tank it out for Ben Simmons or Jaylen brown
Try the facilitate any trades or pick up any expirings to get more assets

So at the end of this off season we shall have

C -  zeller, olynyk
Pf - sulinger, 
SF - jae crowder, datome, Wallace,
SG - Bradley, James young
Pg- smart, Thomas, pressey

Plus the 4 or less draft picks coming depending on whether we trade any of the picks, or draft and stash

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
resign crowder and datome
Signing Datome as a priority?  Gimme a break, LOL.

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Trade KO, Boston 2015 (15), Clippers 2015(26),  2016 philly 2nd to Kings for the 6th pick to draft Stanley Johnson.

Trade AB and Philly second to Charlotte for their 2015 1st (12-10 range pick) and Lance(buy out). Draft WCS or Turner.

Smart/IT/Pressey
Turner/Young
SJ/Crowder/Crash
Sully/Bass
Zeller/WCS.
Why buy out Lance?  Let Stevens try to turn him around.  If Lance becomes a problem send him home.  His 3rd year is $9mil unguaranteed which is a valuable trade asset (like Bogans).   

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 12:00:44 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I know this isn't an exciting answer but it is hard to say anything until we know where our picks are going to be.

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Smart/IT/Pressey
Turner/Young
SJ/Crowder/Crash
Sully/Bass
Zeller/WCS.
Why buy out Lance?  Let Stevens try to turn him around.  If Lance becomes a problem send him home.  His 3rd year is $9mil unguaranteed which is a valuable trade asset (like Bogans).
Turner and Lance on same team may be an issue chemistry wise. I was also under the impression his third year is a player option.

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 03:51:18 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
1. Draft BPA in the first round. Maybe Sam Dekker, Trey Lyles, Myles Turner, Jerian Grant... whoever is available.

2. Pick Dakari Johnson with the Sixers' pick and Willy Hernangómez with their own pick of the second round. Stash Hernangómez in Europe, get some kind of agreement with Real Madrid who owns his rights to find a friendly opt-out clause. In a couple of years that kid will be the best C in Europe. If they get the Washington pick, use that on another International player.

3. Manage their own Free Agents: Bass, Jerebko, Datome, Pressey, Crowder. My favorites would be Jerebko and Crowder at a reasonable price.

4. Offer the max only to Marc Gasol and/or LaMarcus Aldridge. If we are going to pay the max, do it to real stars, not "shooting stars" like Kevin Love. We're not getting them to sign for the Green, but they are the only guys that deserve that kind of contract.

5. Keep developing the kids and wait for the trade deadline with an arsenal of picks, young players and Gerald Wallace's expiring contract. Try to trade for a real star who adds to this team.

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
first get Noel and then do the rest.

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2015, 05:47:55 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
get Hassan Whiteside ... somehow - no idea how we could ice him off miami as they have a Option for next year but its unlikey they can afford him the year after so there might be a very slim chance

I would just love him at the center spot - he is allready amazing at times & will only get better if he plays in the right team under a good coach

... one can dream and Ainge is able to suprise ...

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Smart/IT/Pressey
Turner/Young
SJ/Crowder/Crash
Sully/Bass
Zeller/WCS.
Turner and Lance on same team may be an issue chemistry wise. I was also under the impression his third year is a player option.
His 3rd year is a 9.4mil team option.  Stephenson can be sent home if necessary.  I don't see Turner as a core player for our future and it will be the last year of his contract.  I'd be looking to build up his value for a trade.   

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of these suggestions reek of NBA Live reality level.