Author Topic: Have we officially turned the corner and back in business ? We are killing teams  (Read 9004 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't think we've played a single team above .500 during this 7 game streak.  Let's see how we do against the Bucks on the 21st.

But wouldn't Minnesota and New Orleans both be at or above .500 if we hadn't beat them?

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't think we've played a single team above .500 during this 7 game streak.  Let's see how we do against the Bucks on the 21st.

But wouldn't Minnesota and New Orleans both be at or above .500 if we hadn't beat them?

Maybe, but they aren't right now and neither is currently a play off team. They aren't crap teams, but LarBrd33 makes a decent point We need to see this against a good team. The upcoming bucks game is a good test. Lets see if we can beat them without setting 3pnt records.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
aren’t the 7-5 against teams with winning records? It’s nit great but it’s similar/better than what TOR/PHI/MIL has done at this point. And the Cs have beaten all 3 of those teams too. Also, TOR is about to go through a brutal stretch of playing playoff teams. Cs have done a good job making ground up. Now they have a chance to reclaim the top of the East by Christmas.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

None of the teams we've faced have been above .500 when we faced them.  I said before this stretch that even if we played mediocre basketball we would have a chance of going on a 10 game win streak before playing the Bucks.  Just one bad team after another.  The only team above .500 during this entire stretch is the Pistons and they just sunk down to .500 as well...

We are playing better and these wins will help morale, but until I see us winning against good teams with Hayward consistently playing like an all-star and Brown playing above average basketball, I can't pretend like we're the team we expected before the season.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

None of the teams we've faced have been above .500 when we faced them.  I said before this stretch that even if we played mediocre basketball we would have a chance of going on a 10 game win streak before playing the Bucks.  Just one bad team after another.  The only team above .500 during this entire stretch is the Pistons and they just sunk down to .500 as well...

We are playing better and these wins will help morale, but until I see us winning against good teams with Hayward consistently playing like an all-star and Brown playing above average basketball, I can't pretend like we're the team we expected before the season.

Those teams would be at 500 if they had beaten us and we beat Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC and Philly all this year.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Those teams would be at 500 if they had beaten us and we beat Toronto, Milwaukee, OKC and Philly all this year.
Wait, so are you saying the creampuff opponents we have been facing in this stretch would be even bigger creampuffs had they not already beaten us earlier this year?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Wait, so are you saying the creampuff opponents we have been facing in this stretch would be even bigger creampuffs had they not already beaten us earlier this year?

You want to see cream puffs look at the 76ers winnstreak at the end of the last year. Easiest 18 game stretch in nba history per Elias. This has not been a murderers row but pelicans are solid. See their game tonight against the thunder. The wolves and wizards also both have talent and issues. The biggest takeaway though is we are beating these teams with our backups. Let’s just enjoy that.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I mean, this completely ignores the context that we've won the last seven games with a ton of injuries to our top guys. In the last 7 games - Brown has missed 4 games; Horford has missed 4  games; Hayward has missed 2 games; Baynes has missed 2 games; and Kyrie has missed 1 game.

Given this context, this is a pretty nice 7 game streak, especially the wins at NOP, at MIN, and at WAS. Further, people act like we aren't 3-1 versus the current top-3 teams in the East right now in Toronto, Milwaukee, and Philly, and Toronto only beat us in the last few minutes of the second game of the season in Toronto.

But the actual record is immaterial. How we have looked playing and our overall energy are more important, and both of those highlight that we are much better right now than we were at the beginning of the season, a lot of that having to do with the move to have Smart and Morris move into the starting lineup.

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

I mean, this completely ignores the context that we've won the last seven games with a ton of injuries to our top guys. In the last 7 games - Brown has missed 4 games; Horford has missed 4  games; Hayward has missed 2 games; Baynes has missed 2 games; and Kyrie has missed 1 game.

Given this context, this is a pretty nice 7 game streak, especially the wins at NOP, at MIN, and at WAS. Further, people act like we aren't 3-1 versus the current top-3 teams in the East right now in Toronto, Milwaukee, and Philly, and Toronto only beat us in the last few minutes of the second game of the season in Toronto.

But the actual record is immaterial. How we have looked playing and our overall energy are more important, and both of those highlight that we are much better right now than we were at the beginning of the season, a lot of that having to do with the move to have Smart and Morris move into the starting lineup.

We also beat both the Raps and Bucks during our sorry state

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

It’s also worth noting that the C’s Have a good record against top teams. Their struggles were mostly against bad teams that they should have beaten easily. The recent streak broke the troubling trend of “playing down.”

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

You want to see cream puffs look at the 76ers winnstreak at the end of the last year. Easiest 18 game stretch in nba history per Elias. This has not been a murderers row but pelicans are solid. See their game tonight against the thunder. The wolves and wizards also both have talent and issues. The biggest takeaway though is we are beating these teams with our backups. Let’s just enjoy that.

Well that's weird... Larbrd33 has pretty much crowned Philly based on their win streak vs the easiest lineup in NBA history (I mean, it probably wasn't based on the playoffs, right?) and yet, when we have a win streak against less than stellar talent, he's quite critical.

It's just not that consistent.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Meh, we are not going 25/25 from the free throw line again anytime soon, but we probably shoot better than 11/38 from three.

I will be confident of a real gelling once Hayward and Jaylen are officially settled into appropriate roles. Maybe as starters after a Morris trade. On that though, having Smart play big minutes whilst deferring to Tatum/Morris/Kyrie/(Hayward/Brown/everyone) for offense has been the main thing that has created this little streak. I think Smart needs to be out there to bulldog their best player. Tonight it was Beal, and it worked, albiet only just (Wall-Beal is still probably the toughest backcourt matchup in the league, and Wall messed up Kyrie's face a bit, but Kyrie went full-blown 5th round MMA bloody style knockout).

Smart shoots free throws well, but I'd be curious to know how clean a look each of his missed threes were tonight.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
We all knew that we were entering the easiest part of the schedule, and we needed it at 10-10. My fear was that the malaise had set so deep that even against these teams we would find a way to lose games, given that the majority of the games we lost during that 10-10 stretch were against .500 and under teams. That told me it was an effort and mental thing. That's why these games were banana skins for me.

But if we were to make any ground on the likes of TO, MIL, PHI we would have to beat these teams and so far we have done that. Much bigger tests lie ahead and we've seen lapses like the first half against Washington when they tossed up bad threes and didn't move the ball and run back in transition. So not quite back in business yet but we're getting there. Each game is a step in the right direction. We want to be peaking in April.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Reading is fundamental...

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We all knew that we were entering the easiest part of the schedule, and we needed it at 10-10. My fear was that the malaise had set so deep that even against these teams we would find a way to lose games, given that the majority of the games we lost during that 10-10 stretch were against .500 and under teams. That told me it was an effort and mental thing. That's why these games were banana skins for me.

But if we were to make any ground on the likes of TO, MIL, PHI we would have to beat these teams and so far we have done that. Much bigger tests lie ahead and we've seen lapses like the first half against Washington when they tossed up bad threes and didn't move the ball and run back in transition. So not quite back in business yet but we're getting there. Each game is a step in the right direction. We want to be peaking in April.
exactly

Even if we can’t beat good teams like we should, we are beating the bad teams that we are expected to beat. That itself is hugely important considering how bad we looked a few weeks ago