Author Topic: Random Acts Of Kindness  (Read 15097 times)

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:20:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, i dont know how random this is, but within 10 miles of my university the US government keeps children in cages. my office staff ran a toy-drive at christmas time for the kids. we accumulated literally hundreds of toys for them.

when we went to drop them off, the guards told us that nothing could be given to the children. not toys, not soap, not food, not treats, not nothing.

so, my staff contacted a children's cancer ward in a hospital and dropped all the toys off with them. and one of the staff even dressed up as santa.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This thread was about kindness but has devolved into hating on the Trump administration and it's policies typical Celticsblog/celticsstrong. 

So Godwin's law, states that sooner or later a conversation would devolve into one about Hitler. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"; that is, if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deed :laugh:  We need a Goodman's law that on Celticstrong sooner or later the conversation will devolve into one about Pres. Trump. :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
To receive a random act of kindness, view the extremely important speech by Mike Pence concerning China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYAHPPXmcts&pbjreload=10
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
This thread was about kindness but has devolved into hating on the Trump administration and it's policies typical Celticsblog/celticsstrong. 

So Godwin's law, states that sooner or later a conversation would devolve into one about Hitler. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"; that is, if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deed :laugh:  We need a Goodman's law that on Celticstrong sooner or later the conversation will devolve into one about Pres. Trump. :laugh:

Seriously! It would be nice if this thread didn’t turn into a political back and forth.

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Great Post!  I was on a business trip with a rental car. I always have the E-ZPass in my car but the rental didn't. So there is a ton of traffic and I am in the E-ZPass only lane when I realize, oh crap I don't have my car! I quickly put my blinker on and start moving into the money lane. This guy gets all p---ed off and starts screaming at me, I was like sorry I have no choice!
So when I get up there I paid my toll and then paid his as well, he was right behind me.  A little while latter he pulls beside me and laughs and says thank you like a hundred times! It was a great feeling to go from total anger to a really nice feeling in seconds!!

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 If anyone with a pup has ever thought it would be cool to make him or her a therapy dog it’s an awesome gig. We did it through a company called “Dog B.O.N.E.S.”
   All it takes is 3 appointments and the last one is really just putting a graduation hat on your dog, getting a certificate, tee shirt , a vest for the dog to wear, a kerchief..
  I’m trying to think of the cost. It wasn’t much. I think it was somewhere between 15-30 bucks, if I remember.
  The 1st two meetings are just you walking with your dog on a leash and asking the teacher who is sitting in a wheelchair to “ please lock your brake.” Once she does you just walk around the wheelchair to her other side and say would you like to pet him or her, prove the dog will sit on command and won’t jump up on someone. The meet ups were only an hour.
   You are then emailed listings of all kinds of requests on a regular basis in different areas. You can participate as much or as little as you want. We did a regular nursing home visit and after 4th visit our dog was such a hit that when the elevators opened on the 3rd floor we were greeted by a semicircle of awesome people in wheelchairs eager to see our little guy. We were blown away. My wife handed out pictures of our dog and a bunch of residents hung them up in their room. One lady woke up to our dog by her side laughing seeing his face. It was amazing.
  Another great one is kids that have some struggle reading can read to dogs at a library. Dogs don’t judge do the kids are more at ease.
  We did a bereavement camp for girls in Amesbury, brought him to hospitals. There’s so many things you can do.

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Great Post!  I was on a business trip with a rental car. I always have the E-ZPass in my car but the rental didn't. So there is a ton of traffic and I am in the E-ZPass only lane when I realize, oh crap I don't have my car! I quickly put my blinker on and start moving into the money lane. This guy gets all p---ed off and starts screaming at me, I was like sorry I have no choice!
So when I get up there I paid my toll and then paid his as well, he was right behind me.  A little while latter he pulls beside me and laughs and says thank you like a hundred times! It was a great feeling to go from total anger to a really nice feeling in seconds!!

If anyone with a pup has ever thought it would be cool to make him or her a therapy dog it’s an awesome gig. We did it through a company called “Dog B.O.N.E.S.”
   All it takes is 3 appointments and the last one is really just putting a graduation hat on your dog, getting a certificate, tee shirt , a vest for the dog to wear, a kerchief..
  I’m trying to think of the cost. It wasn’t much. I think it was somewhere between 15-30 bucks, if I remember.
  The 1st two meetings are just you walking with your dog on a leash and asking the teacher who is sitting in a wheelchair to “ please lock your brake.” Once she does you just walk around the wheelchair to her other side and say would you like to pet him or her, prove the dog will sit on command and won’t jump up on someone. The meet ups were only an hour.
   You are then emailed listings of all kinds of requests on a regular basis in different areas. You can participate as much or as little as you want. We did a regular nursing home visit and after 4th visit our dog was such a hit that when the elevators opened on the 3rd floor we were greeted by a semicircle of awesome people in wheelchairs eager to see our little guy. We were blown away. My wife handed out pictures of our dog and a bunch of residents hung them up in their room. One lady woke up to our dog by her side laughing seeing his face. It was amazing.
  Another great one is kids that have some struggle reading can read to dogs at a library. Dogs don’t judge do the kids are more at ease.
  We did a bereavement camp for girls in Amesbury, brought him to hospitals. There’s so many things you can do.

Cool stories. Thanks for sharing them!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 10:03:40 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Just wanted to give this topic a bump. I know it’s really hard to practice random acts of kindness when you can’t even go near people and most everyone is holed up in their homes. But, think about doing what you can for others.

Check in (call) on your elderly neighbors, make sure they are alright and have everything they need.

I make an extra effort to be really nice to and thankful to the people working at the grocery store or other places that are still able to be open. I also have real conversations with people who are doing work over the phone, no need to be all business, it’s on to check in about how people are coping.

You can still say hi and smile to people even if ur 6 feet apart. A little random happiness to strangers can go fatter than you think.

Please post any other ideas or moments of kindness you’ve had in these increasingly frustrating and difficult times.

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just wanted to give this topic a bump. I know it’s really hard to practice random acts of kindness when you can’t even go near people and most everyone is holed up in their homes. But, think about doing what you can for others.

Check in (call) on your elderly neighbors, make sure they are alright and have everything they need.

I make an extra effort to be really nice to and thankful to the people working at the grocery store or other places that are still able to be open. I also have real conversations with people who are doing work over the phone, no need to be all business, it’s on to check in about how people are coping.

You can still say hi and smile to people even if ur 6 feet apart. A little random happiness to strangers can go fatter than you think.

Please post any other ideas or moments of kindness you’ve had in these increasingly frustrating and difficult times.

TP  .... Thanks !

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The last couple of weeks my YMCA has transitioned its operations to provide foods to thousands of households. It's a program that we've already been doing but to a much more extensive now. I have seen so many people getting food for their neighbors, friends and more. Yesterday there was a father of 4 with a 30 day old baby who hasn't even taken his shots yet. We got him some food and he was embarrassed but thankful for taking it.

We've had countless volunteers joining in, businesses donating over $25,000 to keep the program going since we are not drafting April's billing (thereforth losing a lot of money) and many restaurants have donated foods for the pantry.

I am very impressed with the work we have been doing and proud that I work in a place that is more than a gym. I know other Y's are helping with meals for students and promoting home workouts. My previous Y in Framingham has a special child care services for emergency workers.
Baby Jesus!