Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366855 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1935 on: April 18, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Brett Brown has apparently lost the locker room. Not sure if this should have its own thread or not, but indicates Ben Simmons has missed at least one game with a hangover from going out drinking and that Embid has screamed in Browns face.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

The degree to which Brown lost the locker room was amplified on March 25 when Ben Simmons sat out a 21-point loss to the Orlando Magic due to a “stomach virus.”

In actuality, a source close to the team told the Daily News, Simmons had spent the previous night partying in Orlando. The “stomach virus” was a fallacy, although that is nothing new for the Sixers organization. They used to do the same thing when Allen Iverson was partying and gambling his nights away in Atlantic City and showing up for practice hung over. Larry Brown was the mastermind of those cover-ups, although the stories eventually came out.
But the Sixers are a mess internally, with Brown having long ago lost the locker room following the acquisition of Jimmy Butler, but before the acquisition of Tobias Harris. The breaking point came at a game in Portland when Brown had Bruce Bowen address the team about “San Antonio Spurs culture” – a speech that went over like a lead balloon to such an extent that Joel Embiid and Bowen got into each other‘s faces.
Where does the article say anything about Embiid screaming in Brown's face?

Probably just an understandable reading error (I read it as Brown instead of Bowen the first time as well).  On the Brown topic though:

If I watch this post game clip from Monday's game, I might think the opposite.

But overall that article doesn't really do anything for me, or really give me any good examples where I'm saying, "wow Brown really has lost the locker room."

The Bowen speech in Portland, funny fail from our side.  And looking at the box score, they lost by 34 which was Philly's biggest loss of the season.  Wonder if the speech came before the game (hilarious if the result was a 34 point loss) or after (makes more sense it wouldn't go over well after such a whooping).  But Embiid getting animated with Bruce Bowen shows me nothing about the Brett Brown relationship.

Then there's Simmons.  No doubt he has maturity issues, but him being hung over for a game to me says nothing about his relationship with Brown, just reinforces the maturity issues.

Article didn't really provide any insight into Brown losing the locker room though.  Seems like more conjecture than fact based solely on what was in that article.

BDM is correct. I misread it pre-caffiene. I will fix my post here to avoid further confusions. Apologies Tazz.

« Reply #1936 on: April 18, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Brett Brown has apparently lost the locker room. Not sure if this should have its own thread or not, but indicates Ben Simmons has missed at least one game with a hangover from going out drinking and that Embid has screamed in Browns face.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

The degree to which Brown lost the locker room was amplified on March 25 when Ben Simmons sat out a 21-point loss to the Orlando Magic due to a “stomach virus.”

In actuality, a source close to the team told the Daily News, Simmons had spent the previous night partying in Orlando. The “stomach virus” was a fallacy, although that is nothing new for the Sixers organization. They used to do the same thing when Allen Iverson was partying and gambling his nights away in Atlantic City and showing up for practice hung over. Larry Brown was the mastermind of those cover-ups, although the stories eventually came out.
But the Sixers are a mess internally, with Brown having long ago lost the locker room following the acquisition of Jimmy Butler, but before the acquisition of Tobias Harris. The breaking point came at a game in Portland when Brown had Bruce Bowen address the team about “San Antonio Spurs culture” – a speech that went over like a lead balloon to such an extent that Joel Embiid and Bowen got into each other‘s faces.

Probably just an understandable reading error (I read it as Brown instead of Bowen the first time as well).  On the Brown topic though:

But overall that article doesn't really do anything for me, or really give me any good examples where I'm saying, "wow Brown really has lost the locker room."

The Bowen speech in Portland, funny fail from our side.  And looking at the box score, they lost by 34 which was Philly's biggest loss of the season.  Wonder if the speech came before the game (hilarious if the result was a 34 point loss) or after (makes more sense it wouldn't go over well after such a whooping).  But Embiid getting animated with Bruce Bowen shows me nothing about the Brett Brown relationship.

Then there's Simmons.  No doubt he has maturity issues, but him being hung over for a game to me says nothing about his relationship with Brown, just reinforces the maturity issues.

Article didn't really provide any insight into Brown losing the locker room though.  Seems like more conjecture than fact based solely on what was in that article.
The original article claimed Kendall Jenner was with Simmons but it turned out she was in LA at the time and that wasn't the only inaccuracy.     

Saying a 22 year old male has maturity issues is like saying the sky is blue. 

« Reply #1937 on: April 18, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

BDM is correct. I misread it pre-caffiene. I will fix my post here to avoid further confusions. Apologies Tazz.
I'd say there was no reason to apologize but you made me have to re-read that garbage article a second time. 

« Reply #1938 on: April 18, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I'd say there was no reason to apologize but you made me have to re-read that garbage article a second time.

I have some guys that are well known have just made things up over the last few years. Steven A. Smith and Buecher being examples. I don't know that much about Sheridan, but he is someone I have heard the name of for many years (which, in retrospect is also true of Buecher). You generally don't think someone with that long a history covering the NBA as a writer (not a tv personality like Smith) completely makes stuff up out of the blue, so it is pretty tough to make sense of this story.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. I guess the part that is the easiest to believe for me of all of it is Ben Simmons going out partying and being too hungover to play. I don't really know exactly why, seems believable.

« Reply #1939 on: April 18, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sounds like stuff that comes out before and after a coach is fired because it's easier to fire a coach than 4 stars

But it's from Sheridan....so a very large grain of salt might be necessary.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:54:00 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1940 on: April 18, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No Embiid and Butler has been pretty awful, but the Sixers up at end of 3rd in Brooklyn.  Old friend Greg Monroe got the start and has actually looked competent out there, but Boban again is playing well off the Sixers bench.  Boban really aggressive and getting to the line a lot (14 points on just 5 FGA). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1941 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:39 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
My friend who is diehard Sixers fan says they still lament that trade and how Danny bent them over a barrel so good. He says they drool at thought of Simmons, Embiid and Tatum plus another all star. Whatever Danny saw that day Fultz came to town was a blessing for us. That trade and Nets trade are two of the best trades in a few decades for our team. We need to go back to 1980 for a trade that changed our franchise like these previous two have..oh Red was a great one...take our first Golden State and send us The Chief and 3rd pick who became McHale! Amazing minds in charge of our team...we are blessed.

« Reply #1942 on: April 18, 2019, 10:55:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Simmons ended with 31 points on just 13 shots. Also had 9 assists.  Apparently he has heard the critiques as he has played incredibly well the last 2 games
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1943 on: April 18, 2019, 11:12:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Heh... Chris Sheridan got canned for his made up Brett Brown story:  https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/04/chris-sheridan-fired-daily-news.html

Brooklyn fans got a kick in the balls after taunting Ben Simmons with the "missing" poster.

A couple oopsies.

« Reply #1944 on: April 19, 2019, 12:38:58 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I have some guys that are well known have just made things up over the last few years. Steven A. Smith and Buecher being examples. I don't know that much about Sheridan, but he is someone I have heard the name of for many years (which, in retrospect is also true of Buecher). You generally don't think someone with that long a history covering the NBA as a writer (not a tv personality like Smith) completely makes stuff up out of the blue, so it is pretty tough to make sense of this story.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. I guess the part that is the easiest to believe for me of all of it is Ben Simmons going out partying and being too hungover to play. I don't really know exactly why, seems believable.
Reporters don't have to make stuff up out of the blue.  They get told a bunch of stuff by "sources" and they can pick and choose and twist to create the narrative that they want. 

This highlights some issues and inaccuracies with Sheridan's story. 
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/04/sixers-vp-of-communications-rips-steaming-pile-of-trash-column.html

It references this Pompey story about Butler which includes mention of the Bowen incident.  Sounds like Bowen was a real Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and Coach Brown apologized about it afterwards. 
https://www.philly.com/sixers/jimmy-butler-brett-brown-sixers-joel-embiid-bruce-bowen-spurs-coach-offense-20190106.html 

It wouldn't surprise me if Simmons was too hung over from partying to play a game but I'd say the same about most NBA players especially when they are younger.  Ex-players have talked about playing while on drugs.  Pierce was stabbed in a night club.  Barkley got into night club incidents.   

« Reply #1945 on: April 19, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Heh... Chris Sheridan got canned for his made up Brett Brown story:  https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/04/chris-sheridan-fired-daily-news.html

Brooklyn fans got a kick in the balls after taunting Ben Simmons with the "missing" poster.

A couple oopsies.

Still funny.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1946 on: April 21, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Game 4 Sixers defensive numbers.  Exhibit A for why talk of trading Embiid is foolish. 

Situation              Mins     Def Rtg     Nets FG%      Nets FG% in paint
With Embiid           32         87.3         36.8%               35.5%
Without Embiid      16        117.9         45.5%               68.8%

Game 4 Embiid's numbers (while clearly not close to 100% healthy).  Exhibit B for why talk of trading Embiid is foolish.

31 pts on 22 shots.  16 reb, 7 ast, 6 blk, 2 stl (and yes 5 TOV on 40.1 usage)

« Reply #1947 on: April 21, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Game 4 Sixers defensive numbers.  Exhibit A for why talk of trading Embiid is foolish. 

Situation              Mins     Def Rtg     Nets FG%      Nets FG% in paint
With Embiid           32         87.3         36.8%               35.5%
Without Embiid      16        117.9         45.5%               68.8%

Game 4 Embiid's numbers (while clearly not close to 100% healthy).  Exhibit B for why talk of trading Embiid is foolish.

31 pts on 22 shots.  16 reb, 7 ast, 6 blk, 2 stl (and yes 5 TOV on 40.1 usage)

Like I said before, I'm not sure why there's even discussion on trading Simmons or Embiid regardless of what happens in the playoffs. PHI spent a good 5-6 years of blatantly tanking and have had many misses in the Draft. Simmons and Embiid are the only two true stars who have panned out from it. What kind of message does it send by trading either this summer? And I mean... Embiid is literally the Process.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1948 on: May 12, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This will also be a very interesting summer for the Sixers.

If I'm not mistaken, even if they let Butler and Harris go, they won't have enough cap space for another max signing unless they also cut more guys off their already thin bench.

So do they bring back both Harris and Butler, or one, or neither?

And also, could they actually decide they can't keep going with Simmons + Embiid as their two best players?

I'm not saying Embiid is why they lost, but as I've said for a while, PHI relies on him so much that by the 2nd half he's fatigued. Even tonight, he looked gassed in the final quarter. And he also seems to have health issues often. And yeah, unless Simmons learns how to shoot, he's going to remain a liability for that team in big games. "All-Star" Simmons with 13/8 in 42 minutes on like 5 shot attempts in a Game 7.

Again, it'll be a wild summer in the NBA and that'll be true for the Sixers too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1949 on: May 12, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Simmons is Philly's problem. He did not take one shot outside of 16 feet in the entire playoffs. He was pretty much removed from being any type of a factor for all but one game against Toronto.

If you are going to be as high a usage player as Simmons and be the one creating for others, you must be able to keep defenses honest by being able to hit an outside shot. Simmons won't even attempt them. And it doesn't help that he shot 52% from the line this playoff season, which is pretty much par for the course for him. He is a terrible FT shooter. He makes Jaylen Brown look like a great FT shooter by comparison.

So, a tall PG that can't and won't shoot from outside who loves driving the lane to score but is a terrible FT shooter is what Philly has. That is a recipe for post season failure every single year, right there.