Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 67114 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For the people that don't like Penny on Big Bang I admit I liked it a lot when Leonard started dating Raj's sister and it made Penny upset. That was good.

« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The thing I hate about Game of Thrones is that the entire world seems so half-conceived. It's a weird thing to say about a world that is so enormous, but like..where are the farmers feeding these people? The armies are trapsing around raping and killing everything in sight, when you could actually be growing something, you can't because armies are running through your fields, killing your livestock and utility animals, stealing your crap, and raising your food stores. And that's for the families who have their own armies come alone. Enemies will add killing/raping your family to the list.

What are there, like 500 people left in Westeros, all intricately detailed just doin it all the time?

Is there some other kingdom who just feeds everyone while they're fighting, making a buck off both sides like some kind of mix between colonel sanders and Nic Cage in Lord of War? Probably not, because every [dang] where else there are dragons or gelded mercenaries or horse riding nomads.
Waaaiiiittt a minute. Where are all the peasants in LOTR? Where does all the food come from in Harry Potter seeing as how they can't transfigure it. Where are the peasants in War and Peace while all the princes are off at the front? Where are the peasants that allow Hamlet to eat? Should we just assume they don't exist?

Also there are many references to fishermen and hunting in Westeros.

Well, pubs aside, if you're talking about the food in the great hall, it's kind of one of those, "let there be light," moments, haha, but people do have gardens and livestock, so it's not like it's out of the picture.  My guess is that there must be a spell for food, or at least for teleporting it right onto the table in true Hometown Buffet style (sarcasm) ;) ;D

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The thing I hate about Game of Thrones is that the entire world seems so half-conceived. It's a weird thing to say about a world that is so enormous, but like..where are the farmers feeding these people? The armies are trapsing around raping and killing everything in sight, when you could actually be growing something, you can't because armies are running through your fields, killing your livestock and utility animals, stealing your crap, and raising your food stores. And that's for the families who have their own armies come alone. Enemies will add killing/raping your family to the list.

What are there, like 500 people left in Westeros, all intricately detailed just doin it all the time?

Is there some other kingdom who just feeds everyone while they're fighting, making a buck off both sides like some kind of mix between colonel sanders and Nic Cage in Lord of War? Probably not, because every [dang] where else there are dragons or gelded mercenaries or horse riding nomads.

ahahaha TP ;D  All I can say is that it's definitely not Burger King lol, otherwise everyone would have starved to death by now haha ;D

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not going to touch Hamlet or War And Peace.

But I will extend the EXACT same criticism to LOTR as I do to ASOIAF. Harry Potter, meh. That's a weak criticsm when there is an entire world of muggles making food and Wizards with near incomprehensible wealth and power, but LOTR and ASOIAF have very similar issues, probably more pronounced in LOTR.

And Hunting and Fishing? Hunting and Fishing?!

This isn't Gary Paulsen's Hatchet here mate. This is epic high-fantasy. If you're gonna spend 2,000 words describing the differences in army standards and courses at a feast, gimme one chapter about the plight of the farmer, stressed beyond means by a demanding lord who is making money hand over fist. It's got to be more compelling than whatever bullcrap Bran is up to when he's turned into half a [dang]ed tree.

And Martin attempts to tackle the issue in part by multiple times describing the famine in the cities for all the refugees who have come for safety from those rampaging raping murdering armies.

And he goes to absurd lengths to describe how hard it is to get to the keep in the Eyrie, the nigh unassailable stronghold, but how the hell do they get eggs and crap up there? The same way? One basket at a time? Come on. It's dumb.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The group of people that REALLY must be having a hard time with food was clearly the Wildlings/Northlings where absolutely nothing grew because they were up in the North Pole during the Ice Age, but humans have survived in worse conditions. Granted not with supernatural beings trying to kill them...at least not that we know of.

« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Disagree on Friends, seasons 9 and 10, not as good. Argument can be made it drops off after season 5.

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Disagree on Friends, seasons 9 and 10, not as good. Argument can be made it drops off after season 5.

Ugh.  Friends.  How did that show even get on the air?

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not going to touch Hamlet or War And Peace.

But I will extend the EXACT same criticism to LOTR as I do to ASOIAF. Harry Potter, meh. That's a weak criticsm when there is an entire world of muggles making food and Wizards with near incomprehensible wealth and power, but LOTR and ASOIAF have very similar issues, probably more pronounced in LOTR.

And Hunting and Fishing? Hunting and Fishing?!

This isn't Gary Paulsen's Hatchet here mate. This is epic high-fantasy. If you're gonna spend 2,000 words describing the differences in army standards and courses at a feast, gimme one chapter about the plight of the farmer, stressed beyond means by a demanding lord who is making money hand over fist. It's got to be more compelling than whatever bullcrap Bran is up to when he's turned into half a [dang]ed tree.

And Martin attempts to tackle the issue in part by multiple times describing the famine in the cities for all the refugees who have come for safety from those rampaging raping murdering armies.

And he goes to absurd lengths to describe how hard it is to get to the keep in the Eyrie, the nigh unassailable stronghold, but how the hell do they get eggs and crap up there? The same way? One basket at a time? Come on. It's dumb.
As much as I agree with a lot of what you are saying I'm not 100% sure he should have to devote time to explaining things that actually have happened in human history. Is the food/water situation so much worse than the situation at Machu Piccu? Plus consider Machu Piccu didn't have as good of pack animals as the Eyrie. 
Further another city that is comparable is Rome. Ancient Rome had perhaps a million people. They got food. Current day Tokyo has like 30mill and Japan has like no farm land WHATSOEVER! Granted they have modern trucks and whatnot, but I'm just not sure the food situation is central to the story. Some people would definitely rather have a good murder or affair or revenge than an explanation on how a serf is growing wheat, threshing it, baking it into bread, and then sending it on a cart with a merchant.

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

I think you are looking way to deep into this.  I dont want GoT the TV show to delve into the mind of one of the millions of farmers in Westeros to explain to us how poeple are getting fed. I'm open minded enough to accept that there are a lot of farmers supporting these Kingdoms. You have probably read the books and they do touch on this, Highgarden being known as having more food then other kingdoms and using it to their advantage.

But lets not completely derail this thread, for more ridiculously in depth GoT discussion check out the www.westeros.org forums
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:33:59 PM by incoherent »

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There's a lot of that in the books - basically in the war zones they're swordshocked and starving to death, it's why the peasants all start turning into creepy religious fanatics and swarming the capital.  And the Tyrells are more or less singlehandedly feeding all the "friendly" nobles and the areas that haven't been at war. 

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I've kind of slowed down on Mad Men. I don't know why really, I'm not sure it's gotten any worse.

Mad Men is hilarious.  I'm sure that that wasn't the intention of the writers, but all I ever got from that show, besides the sexism and racism, was essentially, "Doll face, if I haven't had my scotch on the rocks by 8:30 in the morning, I have to ask myself why I bothered to even come into work today." ;D 

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I think you are looking way to deep into this.  I dont want GoT the TV show to delve into the mind of one of the millions of farmers in Westeros to explain to us how poeple are getting fed. I'm open minded enough to accept that there are a lot of farmers supporting these Kingdoms. You have probably read the books and they do touch on this, Highgarden being known as having more food then other kingdoms and using it to their advantage.

But lets not completely derail this thread.
I also accept that we might not get deeply into the economies of all the districts in Hunger Games.  And Hunger Games would be a great tv show.

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
My wife told me One Tree Hill gets really bad when the kids grow up and one of them is a famous actress.. one becomes a famous singer, one becomes a professional basketball player.  Yeah.. add One Tree Hill to this list

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I mean, we're the greatest military power in the world, but the only reason we can sustain a state of perpetual war is because we've got a peaceful prosperous nation just taking up all the best farm land of an entire continent.

And Big Bang theory is utterly terrible. It's always been terrible. Just like Two and a Half Men. The show is as insightful as peak two and a half men.

Without a laugh track people wouldn't have any idea when to laugh, because the jokes are terrible.

I honestly love two and a half men.  Well, until Sheen left, anyway.  I mean, Kutcher tried, but the whole vibe of the show is different now and I haven't watched it in at least a year.  The thing about that show is that, for me, no matter how many times I've seen it (and I've seen them all lol), it still makes me laugh, and that's almost impossible to find in terms of TV shows.  I always thought that it should have been called, "Charlie Sheen - An Autobiography," lol ;D 

Side bar - the fact that Jake is played by a guy whose name is Angus always made laugh ;D

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
My wife told me One Tree Hill gets really bad when the kids grow up and one of them is a famous actress.. one becomes a famous singer, one becomes a professional basketball player.  Yeah.. add One Tree Hill to this list

Never watched.  Isn't it like gossip girl or some Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. lol?  Anyway, I always confuse one tree hill with turkey hill ice cream haha ;D