Author Topic: This Is What You Pay Marcus Smart For  (Read 2795 times)

Re: This Is What You Pay Marcus Smart For
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As the longest tenured Celtic this makes sense.
Marcus can talk about grit and effort, but "Smarts" not always.
After Marcus is done with his motivational speech anyone can respond "at least I didn't injure my self punching a mirror during a playoff run"

that is really what you take from this? really?

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I hope he looked in the mirror.

5.4 points on 32.8% shooting isn’t getting it done.

Scoring is not why he's on the roster. Smart has been one of our best players so far and I like that he takes considerably less shots than he used to. He has every right to call out the team for their efforts and execution. Especially when Irving and Horford don't do it. Smart is the team's leader.

This...

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Scoring is not why he's on the roster. Smart has been one of our best players so far and I like that he takes considerably less shots than he used to. He has every right to call out the team for their efforts and execution. Especially when Irving and Horford don't do it. Smart is the team's leader.

I don't care if Irving goes 0-25 with 10 turnovers. Marcus freaking Smart has no right to call him out. HE can bully Jaylen Brown for now all he pleases. Not a player that is 10 times more valuable than he is in the realm of winning a ring and the future of this team.

Well Smart has been the longest on the Celtics roster he definitely has credibility (on some sports teams the player who has been there the longest automatically receives captainship). Boston doesn't have an official captain, but sometimes players need to take action if the coaching staff doesn't get the message through.

And I don't think he called out Irving here, since he's one of the few guys who has been showing effort on both sides and playing well.

exactly..... I dont know how this turned into a Smart vs. Irving duel, and I will tell you this if Irving goes 0-25 with ten turnovers then he should be called out by the janitor and the ball boys? If they can call him out then his teammates should be able to  call him out.

Smart is doing his job, his role is not to score.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Not that Marcus necessarily gets credit for this but the C's looked good against the Bulls last night. Yes, the Bulls are terrible but so are the Suns and the C's made them look awfully good a few days ago.

Teams need emotional leaders. As Smart continues to mature, I think he's that guy for us.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As the longest tenured Celtic this makes sense.
Marcus can talk about grit and effort, but "Smarts" not always.
After Marcus is done with his motivational speech anyone can respond "at least I didn't injure my self punching a mirror during a playoff run"

Well someone must've woke up on the wrong side of the bed..

Smart can call out anyone he wants to as long as the other players are receptive and it doesn’t cause chemistry problems.  A lot of our guys have seemed to be on cruise control.

Agreed.

I don't care if Irving goes 0-25 with 10 turnovers. Marcus freaking Smart has no right to call him out. HE can bully Jaylen Brown for now all he pleases. Not a player that is 10 times more valuable than he is in the realm of winning a ring and the future of this team.

Well Smart has been the longest on the Celtics roster he definitely has credibility (on some sports teams the player who has been there the longest automatically receives captainship). Boston doesn't have an official captain, but sometimes players need to take action if the coaching staff doesn't get the message through.

And I don't think he called out Irving here, since he's one of the few guys who has been showing effort on both sides and playing well.

Marcus has played well, as in playing his role.

I get that Marcus hasn't called out Irving directly or that he won't do it that way.

It's just weird for a player with such futility in his offensive game to be the voice of reason.

I really like Smart this year, save for some stupid shots here or there.

But how many years has he been in the league to where he can't improve any aspects of his jumper or his long range ball. he gets worse and worse.

He is an enigma, i love some things he does then I want to leave him behind in the airport.

Okay, but he isn't known for his shooting... He's known for his hustle plays, and leadership/defense. He's a big important reason our defense along with Horford has been top 3 for consecutive years, it's also no surprise that he's been the longest tenured Celtic.

I don't like his shooting percentages, but I'm glad he's taking fewer shots this season.  He's averaging 4.9 field goal attempts and 4.3 assists per game.  He's shooting about 35% less and his assists are up by about 10% per minute played.  I'll take that from him.  We have plenty of other guys who can score (at least theoretically).  And he's still doing the dirty work and showing leadership.

Same here. I always felt like Smart was the guard version of Draymond Green, if he improves his pick and roll passing, and makes wiser decisions/taking smarter shots, I think he'll have a bright and long career in the NBA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Some folks just will not understand the value of a Marcus Smart type of player. They focus on numbers and numbers only. If we were playing this game with five basketballs maybe I could see their point, but we don't.

Marcus has a little bit of John Havlicek in him. I understand that he scores nowhere as well. But his passing, playmaking, defense, hustle and that intangible ability he has to make big momentum changing plays have definite value in a team-oriented sport like basketball.   

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wasnt a fan of signing him for 4 years and still not

Same here, but he always seems to impact the game in a positive way. Plus, he wears down the opposition physically.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
3 games since

Smart has been the worst +/- in each game

L
O
L

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
3 games since

L
O
L
Because +/- is, after all, the be all and end all of player evaluation. ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
3 games since

L
O
L
Because +/- is, after all, the be all and end all of player evaluation. ::)

I agree with you.

In I agree with the sarcasm. You should agree with mine too.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
Smart played well tonight. Very good on offense.

At the very least play him more than Howard.

Kemba is on a tear right now.

Al Horford has been pretty bad as well.

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I don't want to make excuses but maybe Kemba Walker throwing fireballs right now is just bad luck for that loss.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Marcus was a minus twelve the other night.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He had a rare good offensive game. But he was awful on defense and his defense this year hasn't been nearly as good as it has in past years. He was absolutely torched by Kawhi Leonard, Kemba Walker and Jamal Murray.

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday

He had a rare good offensive game. But he was awful on defense and his defense this year hasn't been nearly as good as it has in past years. He was absolutely torched by Kawhi Leonard, Kemba Walker and Jamal Murray.

He calls out team and they including smart have gone to complete garbage.