Author Topic: Orchestra  (Read 3661 times)

Orchestra
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It had been years since I went to a Pops concert, and last night we went to the Florida Orchestra "Wicked Diva" Concert.  It was wonderful.  My husband loved it...and wants to go back again tonight!  The two "guest" singers were divas who had played the good and bad witches in the Broadway show "Wicked"(Erin Mackey and Julia Murney).  The Guest Conductor, Stephen Reineke is the Musical Director of the New York Pops, and has been Conductor or Guest Conductor for many...(with a resume too long to list,including the Boston Pops).  He was a showman and really added to the flavor of the show, flirting and interacting with with the singers.

Great Show!  (Great ticket prices, too!)  Loved it and will go back (but maybe not tonight,  ;) )
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
My husband enjoyed the concert so much that he ran out today and bought six tickets to the tribute performance to Louis Armstrong, featuring Byron Stripling, the star of "Satchmo:  America's Musical Legend".  Can't wait!  Ahhh, my eclectic taste.  Broadway, Jazz, Folk (my first love), Country, Classical...I am even starting to appreciate some hip hop and rap! 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Very nice, tboots.  I agree that it's nice to have some culture once in awhile.  I haven't been to the symphony in forever, but I do try to make it to Broadway once per year.  It's a nice change of pace, and something my wife and I can do together (she hasn't come around on the Celtics yet.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Last night was the Florida Orchestra/Byron Stripling performance at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater.  Another terrific performance.  Stripling did a great job interpreting Louis Armstrong hits...trumpet (sweet) and voice.  He sang mostly in his own voice (which was very nice, btw) with just touches of Satchmo's gravel, as punctuation marks here and there. There were also songs from Louis Prima, Cab Calloway and others...

The humor was gentle enough so that the few innuendos went over Jake's head...but there was a lot of humor.  (We took the 12 year old boy that my husband is mentoring, and his mother.  I don't think I had ever seen Jake "dressed up" before in the three years we have sponsored him,  ;) ). 

I had forgotten how much I like N. O. blues (my husband is the jazz buff), and how much fun the Scat sound is. (The sound is from the 20's and 30's, which is before even my time, ha ha ha).

IMO the venue in St. Petersburg (Mahaffey Theater) was better, both acoustics wise and atmosphere wise) than Ruth Eckerd, but Ruth Eckerd seemed more intimate...and supposedly has the better acoustics. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
We enjoyed the Florida Orchestra so much last year that we got tickets to five performances this year.  Last night was the first, "Cirque de la Symphonie," which we saw at the Straz Performing Arts Center in Tampa.  The orchestra performs each show three times, Friday in Tampa, Saturday in St. Pete and Sunday in Clearwater.  This was our first time at the Tampa venue.  It was beautiful and elegant...on the water...wonderful staircase, artwork and sculptures (not stuffy stuff) the interior.  The orchestra also recently performed in Cuba on some kind of cultural exchange.

The performers were amazing and the costumes were beautiful.  Everyone loves the Cirque!  The orchestra, as always, wonderful! The conductor was even involved in one of the magic skits.  Most of the music selections were a little more obscure, and not being that knowledgable of classical music, they were new to me.     

I always dress up a little for these things, if you can call showing up in pajamas (well, they are SILK pajamas, and I did wear pearls, ha ha ha) a little dressed up.  Wally even wore a sports jacket (the best I could hope for, even after much nagging!)  This being Florida, the dress code runs from shorts to gowns and tails, very eclectic...the couple we went with wore jeans.   ;D  Anyway, a good time was had by all. I believe this particular performance has been sold out all the venues.

I am now a big fan and can't wait for the next performance.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
The theme of last night's Florida Orchestra Pops concert was "A Night in the Tropics".  (Ironic, since the temp.  was 40 degrees F.)  This was the first performance that I have been even slightly disappointed in. 

The best part of the evening were the featured instruments in some of the selection.  IMO the  base guitarist and the drummer were perfect. (I didn't get the  names, they are regular members of the Florida Orchestra.)  The guest artist of the evening was trumpeter Charles Lazarus.  He was phenomenal...was featured playing the trumpet, cornet, piccolo trumpet, and another variation of the trumpet that I did not recognize. He has recorded with classical, pop and jazz ensembles.   (Copied from the program:  "distinctive blend of lounge/exotica and funk-fired jazz...")

This genre of music is a recent addition to my consiousness, and I am finding it very relaxing  and calming.  Music has always meant a lot to  me and I  love this journey, so far.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
On March 4 we went to a concert by Itzhak Perlman, who was accompanied by pianist Rohan DeSilva.  There is nothing much to say...it was wonderful.  Perlman doesn't play the violin, he simply holds it while it is played by heavenly influences.

Last Sunday we went to a performance by the Florida Orchestra, "Rock on Broadway" which consisted of a selection of songs from Rock Operas of the 70's and 80's.  This was not my favorite evening, despite that being "my" generation.  The last selections played were from "Hair" which IS one of my favorites, so the evening was a success.   :D

I have been thinking.  This blog has really expanded my enjoyment of music.  I was single mindedly into folk and country music.  I met one of our chatters, Harry Hoop (the only member I have actually met) and he is a wonderful classical pianist, as well as a composer of....I don't even know what to call it..(a nouveau jazz sound?  Music which utilizes the native flute, didgeridoo among other instruments.  Bahku also sings, plays various instruments, and composes.  Bassthumper plays the bass guitar...I have listened to and really enjoyed each one on their sites.    I have also listened to and enjoyed a lot of the "I am listening to this..." thread (including rap...and  I never thought I would say that!)  Music has always meant a lot to me, and I need to thank you all for expanding my musical horizons and taking me down a new path to new musical adventure and  understanding.  This is FUN!  I am amazed by the talent on our Blog.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...