Author Topic: A reminder about conduct in the Patriots / Football forum  (Read 100118 times)

Re: A reminder about conduct in the Patriots / Football forum
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 10:41:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am sorry but I do not see where a response such as the one I gave is considered against the rules.

I used the first two statements to show that the poster may have been being a bit hypocritical.

I was not disrespectful or insulting. I politely disagreed with statements and brought statistical data, references, and quotes to refute his claims.

I said nothing derogatory against the Giants.

I only brought about a different point of view in a manner that I thought would be a good exaample of the type of conversation that would be tolerated here. Are you telling me that a response such as mine is what you are saying shouldn't occur? If so why even have the forum because it wouldn't be a forum it would be nothing more than a cyber-prep rally. Please advise.

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 10:51:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sure, Nick.  Here's another rule you and others may have overlooked:

• Keep all posts and comments on-topic

I hope this answers your question.  If not, you may review the original post to refresh your recollection as to the topic of this particular thread.  The two posts immediately prior to wdleehi's violate this rule, in whole or in part.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 10:59:28 PM »

Offline sexyscottish

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 217
So basically if someone attacks your team, don't defend them.  And if someone doesn't like the Patrots then don't post because your opinion will be wrong despite there being no such thing as an incorrect opinion.  That is the whole root of any issue with the Pats/football thread. 
"Sometimes it seems like you love this team more than me."--my wife during many a Celtics game.  Thank God she can't read my mind.  ;0)

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 11:06:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Wow.  Just, wow.  To reiterate, one more time:

1. Respect others and avoid personal attacks; and
2. Stay on topic

Why those rules are hard for people to figure out, I have no idea.  A thread about the rules is not the place to call out Patriots fans, or to call their team a joke.  It is also not the place to respond to those arguments; responding to bait is every bit a violation of the rules that the original baiting is.  This has nothing to do with our staff favoring Patriots fans, or favoring fans of another team.  It has everything to do with enforcing the blog rules.

If this continues to be a problem, we can easily resolve the issue by restricting posting privileges.  Let me know if that's the route you would like to go.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 11:08:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So basically if someone attacks your team, don't defend them.  And if someone doesn't like the Patrots then don't post because your opinion will be wrong despite there being no such thing as an incorrect opinion.  That is the whole root of any issue with the Pats/football thread. 

If there is a post about the Patriots, talk about the Pats.  Express your opinion.  If a post is about another team, talk about the other team. 

At this point, anyone just throwing in comments to bait someone into breaking rules, or does something else that breaks a rule,  use the report button. 

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 11:19:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Sure, Nick.  Here's another rule you and others may have overlooked:

• Keep all posts and comments on-topic

I hope this answers your question.  If not, you may review the original post to refresh your recollection as to the topic of this particular thread.  The two posts immediately prior to wdleehi's violate this rule, in whole or in part.
Okay I understand that. But if my response WAS in a Pats thread would it be considered baiting and insulting or would it be the type of response you would except as being within the decorum of the rules. That's what I'm trying to get to and that is on topic for this thread.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I think I may not be the only one who would like a little more clarification than just follow the rules. Really I'm not busting them on you guys I would like a critique on whether my response to sexyscotty's post, if posted within the proper forum, was a proper response or did it cross a line?

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 11:29:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
In my opinion, your post was fine, *if* it was made in an appropriate thread.  Posters are allowed to disagree, so long as 1) they are respectful to others, and 2) they stay on topic.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Thank you Roy, I just wanted an opinion on whether such a post was exceptable or not. At least I now know where I can and can't go based on an example. I appreciate the clarification and am done bugging you guys.

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Thank you Roy, I just wanted an opinion on whether such a post was exceptable or not. At least I now know where I can and can't go based on an example. I appreciate the clarification and am done bugging you guys.

A lot of times, it's going to depend upon context.  Just do your best to be respectful, and don't go wildly off-topic (ie, by saying the Giants suck in a thread about the Pats-Colts, for instance), and you and everybody else should be fine.

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
my apologies for getting a little fiesty in the current eli manning thread. sacrastic jokes and cynical remarks are no way to treat your fellow celtics fans. to to the raptors guy and the dude with the animee avator, please except my regrets (even if you're wrong).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
my apologies for getting a little fiesty in the current eli manning thread. sacrastic jokes and cynical remarks are no way to treat your fellow celtics fans. to to the raptors guy and the dude with the animee avator, please except my regrets (even if you're wrong).

Conflict Resolution 101:
It's always good at the end of an apology to remind the party you are apologizing to that they are still wrong.  ::)
Yup

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Conflict Resolution 101:
It's always good at the end of an apology to remind the party you are apologizing to that they are still wrong.  ::)

breath deeply, shake hands, and tell the other guy he has no idea what he's talkin' about.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
all i can say is "wow".  follow the rules....if you cant or dont want to, then dont participate in this blog.  its pretty much that easy.

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
In legal debate, the "Ad Hominum" or personal attack (name-calling argument) is a sign of frustration arising from a lack of counter-argument.

In blogger parlance, it might mean that one blogger is making such a strong case for his position that another blogger  recognizes the tenuous nature of his own argument and shifts the FOCUS to personal INSULT.  Call it what you like, but personal "slurs" are a sure indication of defeat, defeat of reason, defeat of evidence. It's a last resort attempt to win by acting the part of a  "bully"!

Re Chris:  While INSULTS in any form should be discouraged, some are delivered with such a noticeable touch of good natured humor that they don't offend but rather entertain.  Insults are always indicative of a loser's last argument, sometimes delivered with humorous diplomacy.

That is a good point, but a personal insult could also be a reaction to the absurdness of the poster's argument.  Just another way to view it.

I actually agree with this. I'm not trying to say that insults should ever be allowed on this board, but anyone who says that insults are solely a reaction when you have no better counter-argument is flat out wrong. 

Often times, people make arguments that are just so illogical or off-based, that the response that goes through my head is "wow this guy is  truly an idiot, I am literally faaaaaar more educated and intelligent than him and  even bothering to argue with him or trying to convince him to see my way is useless." I don't ever post that, but a good thing to remember is that when it comes down to it, I don't care at all whether or not someone else on this board sees a particular topic my way. If someone disagrees with you, who cares? move on. Just look at it as though you're maintaining your place in this world as being less ignorant than the other person. Many people don't want to learn.