Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully  (Read 40282 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »

Offline viking

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Brad needs to offer the chubby funster a Mars Bar per every 5 points scored

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I took my son to the game tonight for his 15th birthday (which is Sunday).  This year I splurged and got seats 10 rows up - we were pretty close to the game.  Let me say this...

Sullinger is FAT.  This is the 3rd year in a row we've went to a game, and it was noticeable this year.  His thighs and butt are just fat.  There's no other way to put it.  He's out of shape.  He can't move laterally.  He does not fit what this team is trying to do as he has no quickness to play the wing in this motion offense system.

He needs to go.  He still has some value, but I sense it's over for him.  I'm not a fan of this current team by any stretch as this roster is a mess.  Minutes played tonight were so out of kilter it wasn't funny.  But staying with Sully - he's simply playing terrible basketball right now.  So the question is this:

- 1) his minutes have been cut THEREFORE he's not playing well.  Or...
- 2) he's not playing well THEREFORE his minutes are cut.

I'm going with #2.  Bass, Wright, Olynyk and Zeller are the 4 who will play the role of the 2 bigs spots.  Sully will be left out, and rightfully so.  He's the least athletic of this group, and he's about useless to the system.  It's unfortunate, but I also think this might be a blessing in disguise as he might fetch something in return (if paired with another contract or even a draft pick). 

This is not the Sully of a year or two ago.  He's regressed.  And I see a guy whose ceiling has been met.  And unless he gets in better shape, he will probably fall behind Big Baby Davis' abilities in the NBA.  It's sad to watch.  But I can't believe how much he fills out a warm up set of pants.  It's terribly noticeable how bulky/husky he is.

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline nzea

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
If I was Sullinger, I would be mad too. The front office trades away it's best player in a clear tank move, and then he only played 9 minutes because he didn't stuff the stat sheet.

When you have 12 players play real minutes (14 when Young and Thornton get back) you have no players playing real minutes.

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:38 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
If you've never been close to being an All Star, you have no right to be mad if a guy gets traded. But, that's clearly not the source of the problem here as Sullinger's tailed off for a few weeks now. JG, on the other hand...

The out of shape angle...if he came in out of shape, wouldn't that mean a poor training camp and preseason? That was the best part of his season. But he had a good preseason, struggled out of the gates, and then looked like the best player on the team for games 5-18 or so. You'd think if there were conditioning issues, they'd sort of evaporate after playing a professional sport on the fastest paced team in the league for 30 mpg for 2 months.

I'm scared to imply it's the other route, but genuinely worrying about his back problems(or some other injury) at this point. Or he's just 22 freaking years old and is just figuring himself out as a professional. Tough to tell.  ;D

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2014, 02:28:40 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Regarding Jeff Green, it's a strong possibility that without Rondo around to give him his looks in the right places, he's going to struggle. He's averaging something like 11 points per game, about half what he was averaging before, since Rondo was traded.

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
If you've never been close to being an All Star, you have no right to be mad if a guy gets traded. But, that's clearly not the source of the problem here as Sullinger's tailed off for a few weeks now. JG, on the other hand...

The out of shape angle...if he came in out of shape, wouldn't that mean a poor training camp and preseason? That was the best part of his season. But he had a good preseason, struggled out of the gates, and then looked like the best player on the team for games 5-18 or so. You'd think if there were conditioning issues, they'd sort of evaporate after playing a professional sport on the fastest paced team in the league for 30 mpg for 2 months.

I'm scared to imply it's the other route, but genuinely worrying about his back problems(or some other injury) at this point. Or he's just 22 freaking years old and is just figuring himself out as a professional. Tough to tell.  ;D

Very interesting post. I like it. TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I took my son to the game tonight for his 15th birthday (which is Sunday).  This year I splurged and got seats 10 rows up - we were pretty close to the game.  Let me say this...

Sullinger is FAT.  This is the 3rd year in a row we've went to a game, and it was noticeable this year.  His thighs and butt are just fat.  There's no other way to put it.  He's out of shape.  He can't move laterally.  He does not fit what this team is trying to do as he has no quickness to play the wing in this motion offense system.

He needs to go.  He still has some value, but I sense it's over for him.  I'm not a fan of this current team by any stretch as this roster is a mess.  Minutes played tonight were so out of kilter it wasn't funny.  But staying with Sully - he's simply playing terrible basketball right now.  So the question is this:

I'm going with #2.  Bass, Wright, Olynyk and Zeller are the 4 who will play the role of the 2 bigs spots.  Sully will be left out, and rightfully so.  He's the least athletic of this group, and he's about useless to the system.  It's unfortunate, but I also think this might be a blessing in disguise as he might fetch something in return (if paired with another contract or even a draft pick). 

This is not the Sully of a year or two ago.  He's regressed.  And I see a guy whose ceiling has been met.  And unless he gets in better shape, he will probably fall behind Big Baby Davis' abilities in the NBA.  It's sad to watch.  But I can't believe how much he fills out a warm up set of pants.  It's terribly noticeable how bulky/husky he is.

I watched him courtside at two games this year. One vs the Suns and the other vs the Blazers.
I didn't get that impression at all. If anything, he's lost weight.

To say that he's done is a massive stretch- he's having his best year and he's arguably been our best player as far as overall impact goes (other than Rondo).
His stats are better than numerous top 10 power forwards at his age/experience ala Randolph, Zeebo, David West etc...
He's probably frustrated that Rondo's gone or he's having a personal issue. Stevens may be p---ed with him because I do agree that he's been off the past few games.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2014, 04:03:26 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I watched him courtside at two games this year. One vs the Suns and the other vs the Blazers.
I didn't get that impression at all. If anything, he's lost weight.

To say that he's done is a massive stretch- he's having his best year and he's arguably been our best player as far as overall impact goes (other than Rondo).
His stats are better than numerous top 10 power forwards at his age/experience ala Randolph, Zeebo, David West etc...
He's probably frustrated that Rondo's gone or he's having a personal issue. Stevens may be p---ed with him because I do agree that he's been off the past few games.

Being short for his position and his lack of athleticism lead to a lot of bad matchups on offense and defense.  I think he'd work best coming off the bench paired with Wright.  I'd start KO and Zeller.   

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I was hoping sully would've been traded when he was playing well early on, while his value may have been at it's highest.

I actually like Sully and think with hard work he could see an all-star game. but a number of things make me want to just see him moved. like he is an undersized player(I hate that), he doesn't seem committed to his body, 2 yrs. in a row now we've seen him fade. and why that's happening is because we've encouraged him to become a 3 pt. shooter(which he isn't, but everyone thinks he has to be a 3 pt. shooter), same thing happened last yr. his 3 pt. shot went south and eventually he got benched.

his game has become Antoine 2.0, he pretty much runs from 3 pt. line to 3 pt. line, he's just lazy. and we've encouraged it, we've ruined this player. 

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2014, 07:41:54 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I was hoping sully would've been traded when he was playing well early on, while his value may have been at it's highest.

I actually like Sully and think with hard work he could see an all-star game. but a number of things make me want to just see him moved. like he is an undersized player(I hate that), he doesn't seem committed to his body, 2 yrs. in a row now we've seen him fade. and why that's happening is because we've encouraged him to become a 3 pt. shooter(which he isn't, but everyone thinks he has to be a 3 pt. shooter), same thing happened last yr. his 3 pt. shot went south and eventually he got benched.

his game has become Antoine 2.0, he pretty much runs from 3 pt. line to 3 pt. line, he's just lazy. and we've encouraged it, we've ruined this player.

I realized this stretch 4 phenomenon had gone too far when Bass started talking about practicing 3 pointers.  Sully's too good of an offense rebounder to be out at the 3 point line.  He should be banging inside.  They messed up Bradley pretty good with all those attempts to make him a point guard. 

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sully, Green and a pick to OKC
for
Jackson and Perk.

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If Sully became Antoine 2.0, I think we would all be jumping for joy, but I assume you are speaking about just three point shooting and nothing else.

Obviously last night's game was about as bad as it could get for somebody like him and he will bounce back, but he does have some serious conditioning issues - we should hire Salt 'n Pepa to follow him around all day.

« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sully, Green and a pick to OKC
for
Jackson and Perk.

You dont need a pick to okc. We also get back perry jones. Waive perk after

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

A lot is being said about his struggles, lately... yet in his 3 prior games he was shooting 60% from the floor, including 2-4 from 3s. So benching him based on a trend would have been an idiotic move from Stevens.

So he had a poor 9 minutes of play, big deal. You just don't bench one of your top prospects, a very young one at that, due to that particularly when he's been playing very well through the rest of the year.

This is either a dumb move from Stevens or something happened that we aren't aware of.

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Weight increases and playing time decreases. Correlation? He will probably get traded and lose weight and become a good player. As the world turns in the NBA.