Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 29627 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2024, 04:04:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Milton is an athlete with elite arm strength. But yeah, the criticism with him is all warranted. He just never learned (or chose to never learn) how to play the position and he just relies a lot on his athleticism and the deep ball.

I think Alex Barth of 98.5 said it perfectly, "if you need Milton to throw it 80 yards, he'll throw it 80 yards. If you need Milton to throw it 5 yards, he'll throw it 80 yards"  :laugh:

He will never turn down an opportunity to make a chunk play even if there's an easy or safe play to make. He doesn't run as much as others but that's because he loves to throw it with his arm.

Frankly I think he's better off being a Taysom Hill-type player for the Pats. I know he said he prefers QB and won't consider anything else but I don't think he has a choice. I still think Milton has some upside and the arm strength/athleticism alone makes him a better QB3 option than Zappe who is slow and not a strong/decisive thrower like Mac Jones either. Mayo did indicate Milton could be like a scout QB here which could make sense as he could replicate a Josh Allen or the bigger QBs in practice in terms of athleticism/build.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2024, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
3 years at Michigan in which he didn't play much and when he did he was bad, then 3 years at Tennessee and he barely played the first 2 before finally getting some burn his final year.  He only threw 650 passes in college and 354 were last year.

I'd much rather have Milton as a backup than the backstabbing Zappe. They can't cut him soon enough.

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2024, 11:15:23 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
3 years at Michigan in which he didn't play much and when he did he was bad, then 3 years at Tennessee and he barely played the first 2 before finally getting some burn his final year.  He only threw 650 passes in college and 354 were last year.

I'd much rather have Milton as a backup than the backstabbing Zappe. They can't cut him soon enough.

The other day I heard one of the local reporters on sports radio say that, “Zappe did not play well with Mac Jones” but they didn’t get into details. What did he do?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 12:45:52 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I'm curious what that is about because a young guy fighting for playing time to stay in the league isn't odd to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2024, 04:20:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Milton is an athlete with elite arm strength. But yeah, the criticism with him is all warranted. He just never learned (or chose to never learn) how to play the position and he just relies a lot on his athleticism and the deep ball.

I think Alex Barth of 98.5 said it perfectly, "if you need Milton to throw it 80 yards, he'll throw it 80 yards. If you need Milton to throw it 5 yards, he'll throw it 80 yards"  :laugh:

He will never turn down an opportunity to make a chunk play even if there's an easy or safe play to make. He doesn't run as much as others but that's because he loves to throw it with his arm.

Frankly I think he's better off being a Taysom Hill-type player for the Pats. I know he said he prefers QB and won't consider anything else but I don't think he has a choice. I still think Milton has some upside and the arm strength/athleticism alone makes him a better QB3 option than Zappe who is slow and not a strong/decisive thrower like Mac Jones either. Mayo did indicate Milton could be like a scout QB here which could make sense as he could replicate a Josh Allen or the bigger QBs in practice in terms of athleticism/build.

Designated Hail Mary thrower?
Yup

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2024, 08:21:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm curious, how soon is too soon for a punter / kicker?

The Bears used a 4th rounder on a punter.  My first reaction was F-, especially with a decent Edge prospect on the board (who incidentally, the team took in the 5th).  But, this particular punter (the "Crocodile Punter", because he has an Aussie Football background) has been flat-out amazing over his career.

Landing a guaranteed starter who will probably be one of the best at his position in the league is worth a 4th rounder, right?  Something like 60% of 4th rounders are out of the league within five years.  If you can get a "game changer" on special teams with a much higher success rate, does it make sense?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2024, 09:36:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Designated Hail Mary thrower?

The ol' Michael Bishop.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2024, 09:39:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm curious, how soon is too soon for a punter / kicker?

The Bears used a 4th rounder on a punter.  My first reaction was F-, especially with a decent Edge prospect on the board (who incidentally, the team took in the 5th).  But, this particular punter (the "Crocodile Punter", because he has an Aussie Football background) has been flat-out amazing over his career.

Landing a guaranteed starter who will probably be one of the best at his position in the league is worth a 4th rounder, right?  Something like 60% of 4th rounders are out of the league within five years.  If you can get a "game changer" on special teams with a much higher success rate, does it make sense?

Absolutely.  If he's consistently flipping the field and helping the defense with field position, it's totally worth it.  If you get a 10 year starter out of this, no one is ever going to look back and be "geez, we burnt a 4th rounder on this guy".   Punting & field position are huge.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team