Author Topic: Tatum shooting 79.3 FT for the season  (Read 2240 times)

Re: Tatum shooting 79.3 FT for the season
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 10:03:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm more concerned about his pull up from 3 terrible percentage

Yeah, I was just going to say that the 3pt% bothers me more than the FT%.  For Tatum and Brown.
And yet entering tonight, his TS% is the best of his career.

His 2PT% is excellent.  I think he'd be even more efficient if he was more selective in the 3PAs he took, though.

Anybody know where to find stats on how Tatum shoots 3PTs assisted vs. unassisted, on pull ups, etc.? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Tatum shooting 79.3 FT for the season
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
I'm more concerned about his pull up from 3 terrible percentage

Yeah, I was just going to say that the 3pt% bothers me more than the FT%.  For Tatum and Brown.
And yet entering tonight, his TS% is the best of his career.

His 2PT% is excellent.  I think he'd be even more efficient if he was more selective in the 3PAs he took, though.

Anybody know where to find stats on how Tatum shoots 3PTs assisted vs. unassisted, on pull ups, etc.?

Some of those stats are here.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1628369/shots-dash

He’s obviously more effective on catch and shoot 3s.  I’d point out that teams still have to defend his pull-up threes, and because they do it gives him a better chance to drive past defenders for looks closer to the basket.  If he started passing them up a lot more, defenses would play off and give him less room in the lane.  So it’s a give and take.

I’d also guess teams rarely leave Tatum alone on the perimeter unless there’s a defensive mistake, so his ability to get wide open catch and shoots, which he’s very good at, is limited.  I do think he’d benefit from taking a little more advantage of the drives teams give him when over-defending his 3-pointer, but I’m not sure there’s too much room to create more catch-and-shoot opportunities, because “don’t lose track of Jayson Tatum” is every team’s #1 defensive principle for the Celtics.