Author Topic: Celtics (3-3) at Raptors (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 9/11/20  (Read 67248 times)

Re: Celtics (3-3) at Raptors (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 9/11/20
« Reply #1530 on: September 12, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Two final points about last night:

1. I thought the officiating was excellent. Not just because we won the game; I would have felt that way if the Raptors did. They didn't make BS calls, the game just seemed to move fast.

2. I don't recall seeing any shots of Nick Nurse complaining last night.  Was it because TV decided not to indulge his antics, or did he actually calm down a bit, and stop complaining so much. 

« Reply #1531 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Issues going forward:

Gotta say, I'm not loving the "clear it out for Tatum" thing Brad is doing late.

Why not run our weak side secondary stuff?

Kemba won't be played like that again. He needs to keep his confidence up and keep shooting.

I'd like to see a little more Grant.

thats how it works at the NBA.  This is why a guy like Tatum is important to have

Maybe, but it didnt work very well.

The Celtics finished the last 5:21 seconds of the game without making a field goal. Their only points were 2 FT's from Tatum, 2 FT's from Kemba, and 1 FT from Smart.

Yeah, that 10 point lead was slowly disappearing and there was nothing we could do to stop it. However, unlike the 3rd quarter (when we got into the bonus early and didn't shoot any FTs), we totally started drawing fouls left and right. I can't believe how badly we shot them, but that is usually a recipe for success. Enough to hold on this game and that's all that matters!

We stopped running, that's why the lead disappeared. We built the lead by running off stops, even off rebounds, and getting shots before they set their defense. As soon as we got a decent lead we began walking it slowly up the floor, letting them set, and then running down the clock. We can't keep doing that going forward.

« Reply #1532 on: September 12, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Issues going forward:

Gotta say, I'm not loving the "clear it out for Tatum" thing Brad is doing late.

Kemba won't be played like that again. He needs to keep his confidence up and keep shooting.

thats how it works at the NBA.  This is why a guy like Tatum is important to have

The Celtics finished the last 5:21 seconds of the game without making a field goal. Their only points were 2 FT's from Tatum, 2 FT's from Kemba, and 1 FT from Smart.

Yeah, that 10 point lead was slowly disappearing and there was nothing we could do to stop it. However, unlike the 3rd quarter (when we got into the bonus early and didn't shoot any FTs), we totally started drawing fouls left and right. I can't believe how badly we shot them, but that is usually a recipe for success. Enough to hold on this game and that's all that matters!

We stopped running, that's why the lead disappeared. We built the lead by running off stops, even off rebounds, and getting shots before they set their defense. As soon as we got a decent lead we began walking it slowly up the floor, letting them set, and then running down the clock. We can't keep doing that going forward.

I think fatigue has a lot to do with that as well.

« Reply #1533 on: September 12, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I don’t know if this was discussed earlier but can someone explain to me why that Lowry foul on Kemba near half court where Kemba was in the air before he was fouled and almost made the 3 point prayer was not ruled a shooting foul and also why Brad didn’t challenge it? I mean from my perspective Kemba left his feet, got fouled and launched the shot. I don’t get that. And that’s a 3 point swing if it goes our way. Why not challenge that?

« Reply #1534 on: September 12, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Issues going forward:

I think fatigue has a lot to do with that as well.

Definitely. But we have the younger guys, we gotta keep running the ball and pushing it when we're ahead.

« Reply #1535 on: September 12, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Issues going forward:

Agreed, but we also stopped moving the ball in the half court, or getting any player movement. It was all Walker and Tatum iso. Not a fan of that approach.

« Reply #1536 on: September 12, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Really I'm just happy to eliminate Nick Nurse. That guy really started bothering me by the end of the series. I dont think I've ever seen a guy complain more.

Yeah, Miami only has sweethearts like Pat Riley. 😉

Man, 12 hours later and I’m still shaking from that game.

Mike

« Reply #1537 on: September 12, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Two final points about last night:

1. I thought the officiating was excellent. Not just because we won the game; I would have felt that way if the Raptors did. They didn't make BS calls, the game just seemed to move fast.

2. I don't recall seeing any shots of Nick Nurse complaining last night.  Was it because TV decided not to indulge his antics, or did he actually calm down a bit, and stop complaining so much.

I agree. I think this referree crew is prone to letting T's fly so maybe Nurse adjusted his behaviour. Still, I agree that the refs let the game play itself and didn't steal the show

« Reply #1538 on: September 12, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
So, if they had Kawhi and we had a healthy Hayward, do we still take this series? I think we would.

« Reply #1539 on: September 12, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Go to the highlights:

just about 33 seconds left, Tatum hits one of the FT's and Raptors bring the ball up score : 90-87

Brown and Smart are isolated with Van Vleet and Siakam deep near the Raps bench.

VV + Siakam try their butts off to pick Brown or Smart into biting onto a move. NOTHING.

Then Freddie tries to drive past Brown. NOTHING.

Raps reset, Freddie chucks a prayer from deep...miss...Walker rebound gets fouled game over.

Watch Brown swallow Freddie...that was the game winner right there.

« Reply #1540 on: September 12, 2020, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
So, if they had Kawhi and we had a healthy Hayward, do we still take this series? I think we would.

Impossible to say.

« Reply #1541 on: September 12, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Honestly then I think Toronto takes it. Siakam showed he's not an alpha on a team but as a #2 to Kawhi or "2B" to Kawhi and Lowry, he thrives. Hayward being back would be huge but I think we'd lose in 6-7 games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1542 on: September 12, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I don’t know if this was discussed earlier but can someone explain to me why that Lowry foul on Kemba near half court where Kemba was in the air before he was fouled and almost made the 3 point prayer was not ruled a shooting foul and also why Brad didn’t challenge it? I mean from my perspective Kemba left his feet, got fouled and launched the shot. I don’t get that. And that’s a 3 point swing if it goes our way. Why not challenge that?

I was also confused on that play. I never did understand what they called or what actually happened.
As for a challenge, I've given up on what goes thru Stevens' mind. His lost touch with out-of-bounds plays, especially after timeouts that used to be genius and now are just Tatum iso's along with his apparent fear of chewing on officials or on his own players has been a cause for concern.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #1543 on: September 12, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I was also confused on that play. I never did understand what they called or what actually happened.
As for a challenge, I've given up on what goes thru Stevens' mind. His lost touch with out-of-bounds plays, especially after timeouts that used to be genius and now are just Tatum iso's along with his apparent fear of chewing on officials or on his own players has been a cause for concern.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember this.. can someone link?

On the challenges, this is a bit Qanon theory, but I feel like Brad runs a system which prioritises what YOU can do, not the refs. It's a mentality thing...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1544 on: September 12, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

half court "shots" rarely rewarded in those situations is the best I can come up with, unless it is last seconds where shot is inevitable.