Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113609 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
Today Doncic will be on the biggest stage in Europe, final four. Madrid will play against Fenerbahçe, where ex Celtic Gigi Datome plays. Here is a pre-game summary from Euroleague official site:

The Sinan Erdem Dome is expected to be rocking when last season’s runner-up, Fenerbahce Istanbul, and nine-time EuroLeague champion Real Madrid clash in the second semifinal of the Final Four on Friday. Madrid arrives with a EuroLeague best 26-8 record, having scored the second-most points (86 ppg.) and led the league in assists (20.5 apg.), three-pointers made (9.8 per game) and performance index rating (101.6), but faces a team playing under the winningest head coach in EuroLeague history. The two teams split the season series, with Fenerbahce edging Madrid 78-77 at home in Round 10 and Madrid rallying to a 61-56 win in Round 29. That loss was Fenerbhace’s fourth loss in five games late in the regular season, but Coach Zeljko Obradovic, winner of eight EuroLeague titles and in his 16th Final Four as a head coach, had his team playing the best basketball of the season when needed most – in the playoffs. Fenerbahce got past Panathinaikos Superfoods Athens by becoming the first team to sweep a playoff series without home-court advantage and did so behind stellar performances from Bogdan Bogdanovic who posted 19.3 points on 60% three-point shooting, along with 7 rebounds, 4 assists and an average index rating of 26 in the playoffs. Big man Ekpe Udoh was worth 13.3 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 rebounds per game in that series, after shining for the majority of the season, too. Despite big production from those two players, Fenerbahce has a lot of great contributors. Bobby Dixon (11.3 ppg., 3.2 apg.), Kostas Sloukas (10.2 ppg., 4.5 apg.), and Jan Vesely (10.1 ppg., 4.5 rpg.) stand out among others, with winger Luigi Datome (9.6 ppg., 3.9 rpg.) also a big-name difference maker. Fenerbahce allowed the third-fewest points (73.9 ppg.) in the league this season, protected the paint with the second-most blocks (3.4 bpg.) and allowed the third-fewest offensive rebounds (9.8 per game). Madrid possess one of the most balanced offenses, with 10 different players contributing at least 5 points and more than five players averaging more than 1.5 assists. Sergio Llull is the motor of the team with 16.4 points and 5.9 assists, and big men Anthony Randolph (10.5 ppg., 5.3 rpg., 1.1 bpg.) and Gustavo Ayon (10 ppg., 5.2 rpg., 2.4 apg.) are forces in the front court. Ayon makes a historically high 71.4% of all his shots, and Randolph opens things up with this timely three-point shots. Teenage sensation Luka Doncic (8.1 ppg., 4.5 rpg., 4.3 apg.) has done a little bit of everything as does veteran swingman Rudy Fernandez. With the outside shooting of Jaycee Carroll, Jonas Maciulis (51.5% 3FG) and Trey Thompkins (47.4% 3FG), the toughness inside of Othello Hunter (7.6 ppg., 4.5 rpg.) and the unmatched experience of center Felipe Reyes and forward Andres Nocioni, Madrid is a team of very few flaws, looking the part, and ready for the challenge of facing the local team on the biggest basketball stage.

SEMIFINAL A
FENERBAHCE ISTANBUL-
REAL MADRID-
MAY 19 20:30 CET

SEMIFINAL B
CSKA MOSCOW-
OLYMPIACOS PIRAEUS-
MAY 19 17:30 CET

Top players to watch:

Fener:
Bogdanovic (leader of the team, Kings stash and all-Euroleague)
Udoh (heart of the team, ex-NBA, also all-Euroleague)
Dixon (5' 10" PG, never takes a step back, similar persona to IT)

Madrid:
Llull (leader, possible to move to NBA, also all-Euroleague)
Doncic (youngest ever Euroleague Rising Star)
Randolph (ex-NBA, you know the guy)

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
2 months without a single post.
No call too.
Some girls would already be offended.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-luka-doncic-real-madrid-f534e7428bf6

Ringer's article about Dončić.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No call too.

I was surprised to find out that some think he's just a glorified version of Hedo Turkoglu...if that's the case...yucky!

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No call too.

I was surprised to find out that some think he's just a glorified version of Hedo Turkoglu...if that's the case...yucky!

Yeah, he's not.  That's absurd.  Turkoglu never had any special ability to run the point, even tho he was a very good passer. 

I'll also say that Hedo played a very long time in the NBA, and while not a star, was a valuable player for near a decade.  Yucky is not a fair way to describe him at all.  The quote made it sound like that was his floor, and that's a good floor.

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
No call too.

There was also a ridiculous comparison to Larry Bird.  The writer said straight up that Larry Bird at age 18 would not be as good as Doncic is now in the Euroleague.

I have no clue how good Larry Bird was at 18 but I think that saying that is pretty silly.

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Doncic vs Westbrook
https://youtu.be/9sPxV4YGNa0

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
No call too.

LOL CB has already decided Luka is "slow", "unathletic", and will be eaten alive in the L.

Personally I think he's the reason Danny went out to get the Laker pick..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:19:14 PM by JHTruth »

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
No call too.

There was also a ridiculous comparison to Larry Bird.  The writer said straight up that Larry Bird at age 18 would not be as good as Doncic is now in the Euroleague.

I have no clue how good Larry Bird was at 18 but I think that saying that is pretty silly.

Larry was dropping out of IU as a benchwarmer and driving a garbage truck at 18 lol. I have little doubt Doncic is a better player now than Larry Legend was at the same age. Larry was a bit of a late bloomer. No one had ever heard of him until his sophomore at ISU..

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
No call too.

LOL CB has already decided Luka is "slow", "unathletic", and will be eaten alive in the L.

Next Celtics dynasty

Doncic
Hayward
Tatum
Davis
Zizic

Unless Davis can't be acquired, then I'd expect Danny to get Doncic and a Big in the '18 draft and bring in Horford off the bench.

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
No call too.

Next Celtics dynasty

Doncic
Hayward
Tatum
Davis
Zizic

Unless Davis can't be acquired, then I'd expect Danny to get Doncic and a Big in the '18 draft and bring in Horford off the bench.

Precisely my thinking. Brown, Tatum, Hayward will rotate at the swing position. He'll do his best to try to get Davis, if it fizzles out he'll just draft Bagley, Porter, Ayton, or Bamba and call it a day..

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
No call too.

Next Celtics dynasty

Doncic
Hayward
Tatum
Davis
Zizic

Precisely my thinking. Brown, Tatum, Hayward will rotate at the swing position. He'll do his best to try to get Davis, if it fizzles out he'll just draft Bagley, Porter, Ayton, or Bamba and call it a day..

Exact same page, only I think Danny might have to painfully give up Brown in a potential Davis deal.

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
No call too.

Next Celtics dynasty

Doncic
Hayward
Tatum
Davis
Zizic

Exact same page, only I think Danny might have to painfully give up Brown in a potential Davis deal.

Probably, although I'm not too worried about. I think the chances of a Davis trade are so low. I can't remember when a top-8 player like that was traded under 30. Once a team gets a guy like that, they just keep trying to build around them until they are almost out of gas. I'm just staring at Bagley and Porter highlights at this point lol

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
No call too.

Next Celtics dynasty

Doncic
Hayward
Tatum
Davis
Zizic

Probably, although I'm not too worried about. I think the chances of a Davis trade are so low. I can't remember when a top-8 player like that was traded under 30. Once a team gets a guy like that, they just keep trying to build around them until they are almost out of gas. I'm just staring at Bagley and Porter highlights at this point lol

Agree on this too.  I want Danny to go after Davis and I'm sure he will...but it's more likely to end up with Doncic and a younger big.  That's fine, plenty of money for extensions and to attract veterans to support the young super team.

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
The hype around this kid is hitting sky high levels which I find interesting because his games are very hard to find on tv and rarely do people sit around on the internet and watch full games at odd times of the day.

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
His novelty is the fact that he is leading PG on a major European League team at an extremely young age.  Very high BBIQ. But athletically does not blow you away.  Will be a lot of debate as to where he should go in next year's draft.