Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113802 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Wasn't Rubio hyped alot too?

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wasn't Rubio hyped alot too?

Not even close to the same. Doncic is averaging more points on way better shooting, more assists (even tho Rubio was a pass-first PG) and more rebounds at the age of 17 than Rubio at 20.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I like the kid. I like him ALOT.

One question. He seems to have a decent frame, and doesnt look that skinny, but DE has him listed at 185 lbs. At 6'7ish that seems skinnier than he looks.

Any input from his supporters? His talent looks off the charts.

He's 17 and still growing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gained a few pounds since the last time he's had any sort of official weigh-in.

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
What a thread!

saltlover, Androslav, hwangjini all here

I cannot stress enough how cheeky this 17 yo is. I love it!

And here is an article from The Vertical. Nothing new really, but a nice, brief summary.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 12:40:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
What a thread!

saltlover, Androslav, hwangjini all here

I cannot stress enough how cheeky this 17 yo is. I love it!

And here is an article from The Vertical. Nothing new really, but a nice, brief summary.

I'm thinking of changing my handle to Donciclover.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 02:06:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
@mr. dee
Rubio is the last euro wonder kid i can remember but imho Doncic is at the same age better. Isn't
 Fultz hyped? And every draft prospect ? The thing is though that Doncic plays 2 times a week against the best non NBA teams and proves he is a baller. You can't get a better test than that

oldtype says it best :
Just to give people a general idea of how impressive this guy's numbers are:

1. Dragan Bender was touted as a top 3 pick in last year's draft
2. Dragan Bender Euroleague stats: (7 games) 10.5 MPG, 2.14 PPG, 1.43 RPG on 33/25/50 splits
3. Luka Doncic Euroleague stats: (20 games) 19.2 MPG, 8.9 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 3.7 APG on 54/43/85 splits.

Oh, by the way: Luka Doncic posted those stats at age 17, a year younger than Bender.

that was exactly was i was saying before the draft about Bender. If a kid can play will see court time. And Real's roster is at least one level higher than last year's Maccabi roster

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 06:44:18 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
@mr. dee
Rubio is the last euro wonder kid i can remember but imho Doncic is at the same age better. Isn't
 Fultz hyped? And every draft prospect ? The thing is though that Doncic plays 2 times a week against the best non NBA teams and proves he is a baller. You can't get a better test than that

oldtype says it best :
Just to give people a general idea of how impressive this guy's numbers are:

1. Dragan Bender was touted as a top 3 pick in last year's draft
2. Dragan Bender Euroleague stats: (7 games) 10.5 MPG, 2.14 PPG, 1.43 RPG on 33/25/50 splits
3. Luka Doncic Euroleague stats: (20 games) 19.2 MPG, 8.9 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 3.7 APG on 54/43/85 splits.

Oh, by the way: Luka Doncic posted those stats at age 17, a year younger than Bender.

that was exactly was i was saying before the draft about Bender. If a kid can play will see court time. And Real's roster is at least one level higher than last year's Maccabi roster

To be fair, most NBA prospects are overhyped. You have people crowning Okafor as the next Duncan, Thon Maker as the next KG, Michael Beasley as a future superstar, etc.

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He is MUCH MUCH better than Rubio (unfair comparison, because Rubio is a PG and Doncic can play multiple positions). As some of you have said, let's wait for his body to stop growing because he is listed 6'7" or already 6'8" depending on the source. Rubio had clear flaws in his game such as shooting or long possessions, Doncic is a player with no clear handicaps.

In Spain, we have a different categories. He's grown 3 centimetres since summer, and he is listed as 2'01 metres now (6'7" is the closest in feet-inches). The most popular comparison here is Anfernee Hardaway.

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXx9lUNp894

I'll pass no better than this one, Yup! I know 2  inches smaller, but still, he's on the bench, tihs euro will never be like Jamal, not even in his dreams!!

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I'll pass no better than this one, Yup! I know 2  inches smaller, but still, he's on the bench, tihs euro will never be like Jamal, not even in his dreams!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but is your contribution to the conversation a video with YouTube highlights?

I'm all for listening why you think we should pass on Doncic, but give us some arguments to discuss.

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I just want to point to one problem that seems has no solution. Every year there are more euro players from europe in the nba but all those players are getting in the nba too early at just 18,19. Just like Bender. I believe that they won't be very successful because they are not ready. That's why i think Doncic should come in the nba in 2019 or 2020.

Ginobili, Marc Gasol, Dario Saric ( those were first they came to my mind i'm sure there are more) stayed in europe more years and came more nba ready.

You can draft them and leave them in Europe for a year or two, like Philly did with Saric and we're doing with Zizic.  Or they come over and get some D League minutes while they develop.  Not sure why you think there is no solution.

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I like the kid. I like him ALOT.

One question. He seems to have a decent frame, and doesnt look that skinny, but DE has him listed at 185 lbs. At 6'7ish that seems skinnier than he looks.

Any input from his supporters? His talent looks off the charts.

He's 17 and still growing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gained a few pounds since the last time he's had any sort of official weigh-in.

Honestly watching some of his tape, I figured that this was the reason. He looks like he has some fire in him. Plus his handle is nasty for a man of his size.
#JKJB

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown

Don't take this the wrong way, but is your contribution to the conversation a video with YouTube highlights?

I'm all for listening why you think we should pass on Doncic, but give us some arguments to discuss.
Well I guess this thread was started by a video of someone making a move that Jamal did when he was 5 years old, don't get me wrong, my opinion is solely based of what I saw from the videos, in the end I'm not impressed, that's it.

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:35 AM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown

Well I guess this thread was started by a video of someone making a move that Jamal did when he was 5 years old, don't get me wrong, my opinion is solely based of what I saw from the videos, in the end I'm not impressed, that's it.
And BTW I don't think this kid will be better than Toni Kukoc, so there's that.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He is MUCH MUCH better than Rubio (unfair comparison, because Rubio is a PG and Doncic can play multiple positions). As some of you have said, let's wait for his body to stop growing because he is listed 6'7" or already 6'8" depending on the source. Rubio had clear flaws in his game such as shooting or long possessions, Doncic is a player with no clear handicaps.

In Spain, we have a different categories. He's grown 3 centimetres since summer, and he is listed as 2'01 metres now (6'7" is the closest in feet-inches). The most popular comparison here is Anfernee Hardaway.
Penny Hardaway?! His speed is nothing like Penny's though...I like the kid but he needs to be quicker, and also I don't think he can jump like penny as well. Not bashing on him but imo the comparison isn't all that accurate, no offense to eurobasket fans
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA