Author Topic: Time to think about trading Tatum?  (Read 18513 times)

Re: Time to think about trading Tatum?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I was unaware of Bryant injury...reading 3 weeks then re-evaluate.

I'm still high on both those players: Bertans and Bryant

I was a fan of Tatum and liked what he did his rookie year but after last year I slowly began lose hope that he was going to be a great player and this year hasn't helped that. Like I said he is still a really good player and has a high ceiling I am just not confident he is going to get much better.

I know I am in the minority that would do that WAS trade and thats why I am not a GM lol

BUT the point was should BOS think about trading Tatum? I see the potential in Tatum but it could be just that...potential.
Why would you trade a 21 year old all-star potential two way wing for a one-way prospect center, and a 27 year old one way shooter on a hot streak

Because I think its just potential for Tatum. Bryant is only 22 and his defense has improved and I think will continue to improve. He is putting in the time and effort to become better in that area from what I have read. If his injury is minor then he would easily start for Boston.

And Bertans has always been able to shoot well and would do well spacing the floor for the team.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I was unaware of Bryant injury...reading 3 weeks then re-evaluate.

I'm still high on both those players: Bertans and Bryant

I was a fan of Tatum and liked what he did his rookie year but after last year I slowly began lose hope that he was going to be a great player and this year hasn't helped that. Like I said he is still a really good player and has a high ceiling I am just not confident he is going to get much better.

I know I am in the minority that would do that WAS trade and thats why I am not a GM lol

BUT the point was should BOS think about trading Tatum? I see the potential in Tatum but it could be just that...potential.
Why would you trade a 21 year old all-star potential two way wing for a one-way prospect center, and a 27 year old one way shooter on a hot streak

Because I think its just potential for Tatum. Bryant is only 22 and his defense has improved and I think will continue to improve. He is putting in the time and effort to become better in that area from what I have read. If his injury is minor then he would easily start for Boston.

And Bertans has always been able to shoot well and would do well spacing the floor for the team.
Those two are high minute players on one of the worst defensive team's in league history. Bryant rates out as awful by every defensive metric. The odds of him becoming even a neutral defender are probably far lower than Tatum becoming a MVP.

Bertans is a one dimensional shooter, fantastic offensive player but he gives back most of it on the other end.

You don't believe in Tatum, fair enough. But if you want to trade him for value at least get good talent back and not two role players on a really bad Wizards team.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If this is an attempt at humor .... hah.

If this isn't an attempt at humor .... no.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd say not unless it's for a Star player.

Like if you package a first, Tatum and Hayward for KAT and Covington.

I'd be okay with something like that. You want to trade up. Especially when we still have some extra draft picks to sweeten deals.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Man this is gonna be a long six days.

Seriously. Couldn't they have won one of those games? Would've made the layoff easier to bear.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Disagree about the OP saying that Tatum is only potential right now. He's an All-Star calibre forward already lol. His offence isn't great but it's adequate - he's missing a ton of bunnies that will go in in the long run, which will prop up his efficiency soon enough. His passing is also improving - he's gone from having severe myopia earlier on during the season to making good reads every now and then, it's still not good but it's also not terrible like it was. His defence is underrated - he's a top help defender at the wing due to his length and positioning, which gives him significant defensive value even though his man defence is suspect at times.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I'd be okay with something like that. You want to trade up. Especially when we still have some extra draft picks to sweeten deals.
^this. Getting KAT would be sweet, I'm salivating at the idea of Brad finally getting a big man to play as an oversized forward :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

^this. Getting KAT would be sweet, I'm salivating at the idea of Brad finally getting a big man to play as an oversized forward :laugh:

Imaging the animosity that would  brew between the two teams after KAT got into that fight with Embiid. Ever since then, I've been rooting for Towns.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Imaging the animosity that would  brew between the two teams after KAT got into that fight with Embiid. Ever since then, I've been rooting for Towns.
Let’s hope that embiid lighted a fire under KAT and he requests a trade to the Celtics to cement the rivalry

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum was potentially on the table for Anthony Davis.  I suspect he is not on the table for Thomas Bryant.  Maybe Smart could be discussed for as part of a trade for Bryant.  Now if we were talking Karl-Anthony Towns, then this talk of trading Tatum might go somewhere but not for Bryant.

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Disagree about the OP saying that Tatum is only potential right now. He's an All-Star calibre forward already lol. His offence isn't great but it's adequate - he's missing a ton of bunnies that will go in in the long run, which will prop up his efficiency soon enough. His passing is also improving - he's gone from having severe myopia earlier on during the season to making good reads every now and then, it's still not good but it's also not terrible like it was. His defence is underrated - he's a top help defender at the wing due to his length and positioning, which gives him significant defensive value even though his man defence is suspect at times.

I think you may be saying "all-star calibre" rather than "all-star" because you recognize that while he has the right talent level the production hasn't been there. Too inconsistent, and much too inefficient as a shooter. His TS% is significantly below league average. I hope he gets there and think he probably will, but to my mind he hasn't really earned it yet.

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 01:12:48 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I think you may be saying "all-star calibre" rather than "all-star" because you recognize that while he has the right talent level the production hasn't been there. Too inconsistent, and much too inefficient as a shooter. His TS% is significantly below league average. I hope he gets there and think he probably will, but to my mind he hasn't really earned it yet.
But you should be measuring a player on his "goodness" rather than his situational value. Also it isn't like Tatum's production is that far off, he just needs to start hitting close range shots at a higher clip as well as clean up his drives to produce at that level (both of which are easily fixable/can regress back to adequate levels).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hell yeah, think about whatever, the mind is a vast playground, run around a little.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Let’s hope that embiid lighted a fire under KAT and he requests a trade to the Celtics to cement the rivalry
Oh boy I would love that, KAT would smoke Embiid (just a matchup problem for Embiid imo).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

It's a worth a shot to call Minnesota and make a strong offer (not saying we should gut our team, but make a fair offer for a good player)

They'd probably say no, but so what?