Author Topic: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??  (Read 5225 times)

Re: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Buy: Cleveland.  I think they are going to have a much better team then most people think and am now fully expecting them to make the playoffs. 

Sell: Dallas.  I think they are going to be terrible.  Fighting for worst record bad.

Cleveland's interesting.  They do have talented players.  I can see it.  What I find more interesting to think about though is what would we hear about LeBron if this happens.

His legacy is pretty much set at this point, but maybe it diminishes his aura (especially if the Lakers struggle)?  Basically if the Cavs do well, will we hear a lot more chatter that LeBron was a terrible teammate and the team was unable to function with him and that he's really just a coach killing diva?  The hater in me is excited about that possibility.
Oh don't get me wrong they aren't a contender, but I don't think they are bad team and I think they make the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed (basically competing with Miami, Detroit, and Charlotte for those spots). 

I've been saying all off season that I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Cavs make the playoffs and the Lakers miss them.  I really don't like what Magic did around James with the free agents (I do think Ingram and Ball will be fine, and Kuzma is good off the bench, but the rest of that team is hot garbage, and yes that includes Rondo).

if cavs make playoffs and lakers don't, does that diminish lebron's reputation/goat argument?
not much if at all.  He is 16 years in at this point.  As you keep harping in all of the threads about Lebron's imminent demise, as according to you he is at the age when players decline. 

There is also the East vs. West factor.  The East is much weaker then the West (depth wise not at the top where reasonably 3 of the 5 best teams could be in the East).  The Cavs could make the playoffs with less wins then the Lakers have who might not make the playoffs (last year 46 win Denver was left out, they would have been the 6 seed by 2 games in the East).

Bit puzzled by this take Moranis. I think I have consistently said he is still one of the best players in the game, just that he is not a great defensive player anymore and shouldn't win the MVP. Is it at all controversial to say he is in decline at age 34? I think he will still make all-star games for the next 3 years, but after that it gets dicey at age 37-38 just because of the history of players aging (especially non centers) and that he has an unprecedented amount of mileage.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Buying: Milwaukee, Utah, Washington

Selling: Houston, Philly, Indy, Lakers

I would be happy to get 4 out of 6.  I can already see I'm going against the grain selling Indy.
Pretty close for me, see my edits above

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 01:33:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am feeling good on my selling philly if we want to overreact to game 1.

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs not being so bad prediction from me not off to a great start.  They have looked absolutely terrible defensively.  Dallas has also looked better then I thought they would be.  At least the Lakers being 0-3 helps a bit. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Buy: Charlotte Hornets - makes the playoffs

Sell: New Orleans Pelicans - underachieves and misses the playoffs

Interesting. I'm the other way around.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Scanning this thread, admittedly quickly, I only saw one mention of Toronto (I'm buying, btw).

I know that there's disrespect because of the playoffs last season. But they're excellent on both sides of the ball already (unlike Boston right now). They've got a couple of athletic players who are emerging this season in Siakam and Anunoby, and Van Vleet looks like he's taking the next step. Delon Wright will add another dimension when he returns.

Selling Washington.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Scanning this thread, admittedly quickly, I only saw one mention of Toronto (I'm buying, btw).

I know that there's disrespect because of the playoffs last season. But they're excellent on both sides of the ball already (unlike Boston right now). They've got a couple of athletic players who are emerging this season in Siakam and Anunoby, and Van Vleet looks like he's taking the next step. Delon Wright will add another dimension when he returns.

Selling Washington.

The problem with Toronto in this context is basically everybody expects them to be really good in the regular season. Almost impossible for them to overachieve there and it seems unlikely they'd underachieve.

It's the playoffs that are the big question mark for them, and it's really far off plus we all reaaaaaally hope this isn't the year they put it together because they'll be right in our way.

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Detroit is one of the few undefeated teams left!

Blake Griffin looks legit this season. If he stays healthy I believe they make playoffs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Selling Washington.

The problem with Toronto in this context is basically everybody expects them to be really good in the regular season. Almost impossible for them to overachieve there and it seems unlikely they'd underachieve.

It's the playoffs that are the big question mark for them, and it's really far off plus we all reaaaaaally hope this isn't the year they put it together because they'll be right in our way.

I think the biggest problem is that we're all hoping the Celtics are distinguishably better than Toronto, so who the heck is 'buying' them?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Cavs not being so bad prediction from me not off to a great start.  They have looked absolutely terrible defensively.  Dallas has also looked better then I thought they would be.  At least the Lakers being 0-3 helps a bit.

Preseason
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Buying: Denver & Indiana

Denver are young and very talented..Indy has a great player un Victor O and are deep

Selling: LA Lakers & Philadelphia

Lakers are soooo overrated and may be a 7th seed at best..Sixers has no bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Selling Washington.

Yes, it's far off - the question was, what teams am I buying and selling, and I'm buying Toronto bigly.

Injuries happen, of course, but barring that this is a team that is almost ideal for playoff success. ECF.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
buying the Lakers...but they need one more piece.
They should trade for Kevin Love.

Selling Detroit.