Author Topic: Reminisce: 1981, 1984, 1986 and 2008 Celtics championships game clinchers  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1981 - Rockets vs Celtics game 6 (full game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G49sp2WOLPc

1984 - Lakers vs Celtics game 7 (full game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O186T9C32s4

1986 - Rockets vs Celtics game 6 (full game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYV5T9Eldms

2008 - Lakers vs Celtics game 6 (full game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94wwxeE2u_0

Brings back good memories to watch these games again   Larry Bird = not much emotion after the final buzzers  ;D

2008 Team was fantastic.  All the major players chasing for that ring together.  Unforgettable season.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:01:05 AM by Tr1boy »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah, some of these games have been broadcast recently on NBC Sports Boston.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yeah, some of these games have been broadcast recently on NBC Sports Boston.

wasn't able to catch it.  So thank god for youtube

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Recently I've been making my way through the 1986 first round Game 2 against the Bulls.  Interesting how it feels like two different eras clashing.  Young Jordan versus the greatest team of the 80s.

Walton was really something. 

Danny Ainge also played amazing in that game.  20+ points in the second half.  Multiple drives on Jordan.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Recently I've been making my way through the 1986 first round Game 2 against the Bulls.  Interesting how it feels like two different eras clashing.  Young Jordan versus the greatest team of the 80s.

Walton was really something. 

Danny Ainge also played amazing in that game.  20+ points in the second half.  Multiple drives on Jordan.

I enjoyed that series also

Jordan lacked the veteran tricks back in those days. Also body needed more developing.

Ainge was definitely one competitive player

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
2008 clincher of number 17 is on tonight on NBC-SB!

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hey it's the two way monster Moses Malone in the first clip! Look at how he terrorised the Boston offence led by ball dominant engine Larry Bird with constant motion, excellent awareness and elite verticality! ;)

But TP to the OP for posting those games, I'll watch them once my finals are over.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
Bird showed a lot of emotion at the end of clinching games in '81 & '84. Look at the high-five he gives McHale (Houston Game 6) when Fitch takes him out in the last 2 minutes. He is waving a towel and slapping everyone (Lakers Game 7) both during and after the game in 1984.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The memories of the 1981 title that reside in my mind start, and pretty much end, with the historic comeback from a 3-1 deficit against the Sixers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The next 3 games were decided by five total points. The Celtics fell behind early in all three games, fought hard in the 2nd half to get back in the game and had a nail-biting finish in all three wins. Bird was amazing, especially in the 2nd half in those games averaging 26.7 points, 12.7 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 2.7 steals and 2 blocks per game with shooting splits of 46/100/91.7.

It was riveting entertainment and the "real" NBA Finals as neither Boston nor Philly were going to lose to either WCF participant, Houston or Kansas City, as both were clearly inferior teams to their ECF counterparts.

It was this series that began the legend of Larry Bird and made him the new darling athlete in the city of Boston. He instantly became beloved.

After Boston dispatched of Houston in the Finals, I remember like it was yesterday, the sounds of honking car horns blaring for over 15 minutes everywhere across the city because if you weren't home watching, you were in your car listening.

The Boston Celtics, for the first time in their history became the city's most popular team in Boston and would stay there for most of the next 10-12 years.(The '86 Red Sox and Roger Clemens took that spot over for a year.)