Author Topic: All nba games likely played at Disney World in Orlando (current front runner)  (Read 8052 times)

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Does anyone else think there will be a lot more injuries then normal when they return? I cannot imagine jumping back into the season and then playoffs will be paradise for many player's bodies- especially the one's who did not stay in shape.

I have little interest in watching the players finish this season and I do not think it is a guarantee that Lebron wins the title as well. It will be a crap shoot for sure.

I do believe it is going to be a decision the NBA regrets...time will tell.

I tend to agree with this take.  Players having 3 months off, then back to a 2 week training camp, then directly into the playoffs just seems really problematic.  This is kind of the opposite of how teams / players prepare for the playoffs. 

The 5 game regular season IMO is a completely dumb idea.  Why would all those other teams spend all the time / money / effort / risk for 5 meaningless games.

I guess MONEY is the driving force behind all of this.  Otherwise, the smart / reasonable approach is just cancel the season, and plan for the next season and work out ALL the kinks right now, and have a whole list of alternative plans if things go bad again.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Does anyone else think there will be a lot more injuries then normal when they return? I cannot imagine jumping back into the season and then playoffs will be paradise for many player's bodies- especially the one's who did not stay in shape.

I have little interest in watching the players finish this season and I do not think it is a guarantee that Lebron wins the title as well. It will be a crap shoot for sure.

I tend to agree with this take.  Players having 3 months off, then back to a 2 week training camp, then directly into the playoffs just seems really problematic.  This is kind of the opposite of how teams / players prepare for the playoffs. 

The 5 game regular season IMO is a completely dumb idea.  Why would all those other teams spend all the time / money / effort / risk for 5 meaningless games.

I guess MONEY is the driving force behind all of this.  Otherwise, the smart / reasonable approach is just cancel the season, and plan for the next season and work out ALL the kinks right now, and have a whole list of alternative plans if things go bad again.
money is the driving force behind a for-profit business that people invested billions of dollars into? I’m shocked

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
I hope they resume the season and finish it, or at least most of it. Memphis has a VERY tough schedule and I would like to see them fall into the lottery. The Knicks are the only weak team they'd face.
Well, it looks like the NBA is looking to play only 5 more games so no chance pick 17 changes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

Pretty much a worst case scenario for Cs fans. No pick change, but the Lakers have a great shot of winning it all. Hey, maybe the Cs will take the whole thing and we can rejoice in what a great idea this actually was  :laugh:

Tatum and Brown needed to grow up and grow mean really fast if they plan on stealing it from the Lakers this year.   The Mr Nice Guy play n style will get you no where in the NBA.  too many dogs after the same bone.

Yup. Got to play dirty and start throwing elbows around.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

money is the driving force behind a for-profit business that people invested billions of dollars into? I’m shocked

I never said I was shocked.  I personally don't feel it is a completely legitimate end to the season.  To me, this title would have a a bigger asterisk than any of the strike shortened seasons.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I'm hopeful more injuries won't be the case.

Many NBA teams have opened practice facilities already, and I believe the rest are supposed to be open by June 1.  If the new training camps start in July, that's 4-7 weeks for players to start getting in shape before hand.

Plus there's all the nagging injuries that normally build up over an 82 game season that hopefully have had a chance to heal.

Also the elimination of travel once all games are at Disney might help players recover/limit injuries too.

I mean I can see how this whole thing could go bad for sure, but I can see how it might go well too.  I'm optimistic. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:14:49 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They will be playing for a metal trophy in the shape of an asterisk.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I hope they resume the season and finish it, or at least most of it. Memphis has a VERY tough schedule and I would like to see them fall into the lottery. The Knicks are the only weak team they'd face.
Well, it looks like the NBA is looking to play only 5 more games so no chance pick 17 changes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

Pretty much a worst case scenario for Cs fans. No pick change, but the Lakers have a great shot of winning it all. Hey, maybe the Cs will take the whole thing and we can rejoice in what a great idea this actually was  :laugh:

Tatum and Brown needed to grow up and grow mean really fast if they plan on stealing it from the Lakers this year.   The Mr Nice Guy play n style will get you no where in the NBA.  too many dogs after the same bone.

Yup. Got to play dirty and start throwing elbows around.

i mean i never saw Parrish or Bird hugging the opponents before a game .  Chief looked like he was ready for serious battle .  I miss this intensity by guys like Bird , Parrish and KG .

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Even now, I am still confused about what happens if people test positive. So that player might have to sit out and quarantine, but then what if more players come down with it? Will they just stop again?

Also, wouldn't it be unfair if a star player for another team tests positive and has to miss time meaning that team plays without their star in the playoffs. For example (and again, just an example), what if Kawhi tested positive for COVID and had to quarantine. How is that fair for the Clippers then that they play shorthanded while other teams don't? That sounds BS since it's not even an injury-related thing, it's a virus in a freakin' pandemic.

Honestly I see so many people acting like this will go "normally" when I think that's far from the truth. Remember, it only took Gobert to test positive for mass pandemonium, and then more and more players came out testing positive shortly after (including our own Marcus Smart) 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Even now, I am still confused about what happens if people test positive. So that player might have to sit out and quarantine, but then what if more players come down with it? Will they just stop again?

Also, wouldn't it be unfair if a star player for another team tests positive and has to miss time meaning that team plays without their star in the playoffs. For example (and again, just an example), what if Kawhi tested positive for COVID and had to quarantine. How is that fair for the Clippers then that they play shorthanded while other teams don't? That sounds BS since it's not even an injury-related thing, it's a virus in a freakin' pandemic.

Honestly I see so many people acting like this will go "normally" when I think that's far from the truth. Remember, it only took Gobert to test positive for mass pandemonium, and then more and more players came out testing positive shortly after (including our own Marcus Smart)

Good points ,  i don't see why there is such a huge panic by the NBA , other than GREED / Money to restart the season.  Seems like starting fresh with new new knowledge and experience with this in the fall would be the most logical and safest move .  Everybody on an even keel with contingency plans if another out break occurs while the season is going.   By the time they play out this season , in front of NO CROWD ...silly anyway .....it will be time to start the new season .  during the next season a vaccine would be ready allowing for cities to have more normal games.  iThis dying to finish a season in the middle of a global pandemic just seems totally off the rails.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The complaints I'm seeing seem to all share a common theme of not wanting the Lakers to get another title and fearing Boston doesn't have what it takes.

If the Celtics win banner 18 there will be no asterisk nor complaints.  Just more glory for a sports city that probably doesn't deserve any more than they have already been blessed with.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The complaints I'm seeing seem to all share a common theme of not wanting the Lakers to get another title and fearing Boston doesn't have what it takes.

If the Celtics win banner 18 there will be no asterisk nor complaints.  Just more glory for a sports city that probably doesn't deserve any more than they have already been blessed with.

I gotta disagree strong. Look up what the nationals pitcher said about this. The reason I don’t want a rushed start is I think there is a chance any player (including Tatum or brown) getting life altering lung damage. We just aren’t there yet with what we know about the disease and I think there is no way it can be safe. I say this as someone that desperately misses b-ball.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I gotta disagree strong. Look up what the nationals pitcher said about this. The reason I don’t want a rushed start is I think there is a chance any player (including Tatum or brown) getting life altering lung damage. We just aren’t there yet with what we know about the disease and I think there is no way it can be safe. I say this as someone that desperately misses b-ball.

I don't know, the chance of that is very, very low. Just look at the percentage of people in the 18-40 age range that got lung damage from covid-19 globally, pretty darn low. Did Smart, Gobert, D Mitchell get lung damage?

I think they have a higher chance of getting a torn ACL than they do lung damage.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!

In 2020 we lost Betts + Price, lost Tom Brady, had an NHL season suspended where the B's had a fantastic chance to avenge last year, and didn't have a real chance to continue watching the Jays grow while heading into the playoffs for a potential deep playoff run.

I'd say we deserve some glory again  ;)

But I also agree with what some others have said. What if some team loses a bunch of players because they test positive for COVID? How on earth is that fair for them while everyone else is relatively healthy. Same in the NHL. And also, I'm still not sure where the hell the league is getting 10,000+ tests a day from. There are only like 3-4 states currently that are testing over that amount a day. Hospitals, clinics and testing centers still need the tests. There's still a shortage of testing across the country.

I feel like at this point, a champion in the NBA/NHL would have an asterisk. The difference with baseball is that they could potentially resume in July and still have about 80+ games in a season + an expanded playoffs. And reportedly they could use this to implement some long term changes too, notably with the postseason.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
They will be playing for a metal trophy in the shape of an asterisk.

Honestly at this point I don't care.  A lot of people are craving sports and will be thankful for their return in any way shape or form.  Yes, strike years etc you definitely feel there is an asterisk but this is a pandemic and some may not feel that way because we persevered through the worst possible scenario and came through on top.  The last 15 games would not have decided much outside of a few seeds.  With the games being played on a neutral court home court advantage does not exist.  It's going to be the best team wins, no distractions, no gimmicks just play good ball.  Now all teams will have 6 weeks to get in shape.  That's longer then preseason.  If the players were not keeping up their cardiovascular health then it's on them.  This season will not be an asterisk in the way most think.  It will be remembered, IMO, as some good in a really bad few months.  Bring back sports.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I don't know, the chance of that is very, very low. Just look at the percentage of people in the 18-40 age range that got lung damage from covid-19 globally, pretty darn low. Did Smart, Gobert, D Mitchell get lung damage?

I think they have a higher chance of getting a torn ACL than they do lung damage.
it seems to be more complicated than this. after all, the medical staff, refs, coaches, arena workers, custodians, and all the other people needed to make this show go are involved...and i am fairly confident that a fair number of them are not "18-40 age range" and in the prime of physical health.

add to this that the players themselves have families, a number of whom may have underlying health conditions. and of course, the same goes for the families of all those listed above as well.

EDIT: i thought about this a bit more and following occurred to me. how many people on average will be exposed on each team. 15 players, maybe 1-2 more in reserve. at least 12-15 coaches, medical crew, trainers, etc.

so about 30 people will be involved in this season per team in terms of possible exposure.

what of their families? let's say the average person has 3 members to their family/friends. some will have fewer, some more. but's let's keep it simple and say 3 people will be touched/exposed by each of the 30 team-related people.

times 30 teams....

30 teams x 30 players/staff x 4 (player + families) = 3,600 people possibly exposed. now add this, will each of these people keep quarantine? i hope so , but i would not doubt at least a few do not. kids need schooling. young players go out and party, sight see, etc. etc.

i am not convinced this is a good and workable idea to bring the season back.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:42:43 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva