Author Topic: CP3 & Carmelo could be headed to Knicks  (Read 3374 times)

CP3 & Carmelo could be headed to Knicks
« on: October 19, 2020, 12:46:46 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Looks like the knicks think we’re in the year 2011

Carmelo Anthony could join the New York Knicks should Chris Paul get traded to the team, sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Paul has been a frequently rumored target for the Knicks, with the Thunder preferring a potential deal to include Kevin Knox.

Both Anthony and Paul were represented by current Knicks president Leon Rose.

Sources added that Rose would be open to signing Anthony even without Paul.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/16/nba-free-agency-carmelo-anthony-suddenly-looking-ripped/

Re: CP3 & Carmelo could be headed to Knicks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 12:49:49 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think Knicks were planning to sign him as a marketing strategy. Could be a Carmelo farewell tour if CP3 don't get traded.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 12:51:56 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
We're entering 2021, this ain't 2011 Knicks lol.

But sure, go ahead and sign them

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 01:59:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
10 years too late but it would be funny. Gotta feel this would only stunt RJ Barrett right?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:56:01 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Well the knicks have a bunch of young guys that are totally unexciting. They may have to extend most of those guys if they don’t want to lose them for nothing. They remind me of the Sacramento teams with Cousins but without the young star player that he was.
It might not be a totally bad idea to get stars past their prime but on very short (Rich) deals instead of throwing money and cap space at low ceiling young players.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:00:13 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This could actually be better than folks think.

CP3 is CP3 - and improves just about ANY team he's on.

Melo? Portland Melo? He's a better player, too.

Mix the right parts around them and they'd be sneaky good for a couple of years.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:27:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
10 years too late but it would be funny. Gotta feel this would only stunt RJ Barrett right?
Reminds me of when the Knicks acquired guys like Steve Francis, Penny Hardaway, and Vin Baker.  Chris Paul can still help a team and he'd be a benefit from a professionalism standpoint, but the Knicks need to choose a direction and this isn't the right direction.  Carmelo would not help the team at all.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Reminds me of when the Knicks acquired guys like Steve Francis, Penny Hardaway, and Vin Baker.  Chris Paul can still help a team and he'd be a benefit from a professionalism standpoint, but the Knicks need to choose a direction and this isn't the right direction.  Carmelo would not help the team at all.
Yeah, I just don't get it. Maybe they scrape into the playoffs with a starting lineup of Paul-Barrett-Melo-Randle-Robinson? Is that worth the huge contract of CP3 and the likely stunting of young talent?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Yeah, I just don't get it. Maybe they scrape into the playoffs with a starting lineup of Paul-Barrett-Melo-Randle-Robinson? Is that worth the huge contract of CP3 and the likely stunting of young talent?
Depends on what Knicks think of their young talent. Teams often feel the pressure to extend their young talented players beyond rookie deals. This is how Minnesota gave Wiggins a max contract. I think knicks are better off just reshuffling their young talent until they strike gold in the draft and or a top 5 player chooses to go there but they are generally less patient than other franchises.
After all who wonts to pay thousands for court side seats when there are no stars on the court?

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 09:06:05 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This could actually be better than folks think.

CP3 is CP3 - and improves just about ANY team he's on.

Melo? Portland Melo? He's a better player, too.

Mix the right parts around them and they'd be sneaky good for a couple of years.

What are the chances they get Portland Melo, though? It's one thing to take a smaller role when you're on a playoff team with Lillard and McCollum, it's quite another on a lottery-bound team with CP3 and Barrett
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Depends on what Knicks think of their young talent. Teams often feel the pressure to extend their young talented players beyond rookie deals. This is how Minnesota gave Wiggins a max contract. I think knicks are better off just reshuffling their young talent until they strike gold in the draft and or a top 5 player chooses to go there but they are generally less patient than other franchises.
After all who wonts to pay thousands for court side seats when there are no stars on the court?
You said it all.  But at some point you'd think they'd play the long game to get out of the embarrassing rut that they've been in for so many years.  Like gouki88 said, adding Chris Paul maybe scrapes them into the playoffs for a 2 year period, and then they go back to a worse level than if they never acquired Chris Paul at all.  And Carmelo doesn't help them short term or long term.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 09:09:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Knicks gonna Knicks...LOL

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You said it all.  But at some point you'd think they'd play the long game to get out of the embarrassing rut that they've been in for so many years.  Like gouki88 said, adding Chris Paul maybe scrapes them into the playoffs for a 2 year period, and then they go back to a worse level than if they never acquired Chris Paul at all.  And Carmelo doesn't help them short term or long term.
I'm having difficulty seeing who the Knicks would move out of the playoffs from this year's teams in the East.  add in the fact Brooklyn will have Durant and Kyrie active for next year and I don't see any team from this year's playoff teams that couldn't outplay a CP3 Knicks team to get to the playoffs.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I saw this post when I was about to post about taking the other teams point of view on potential Celtics draft trade ups.

The Knicks pulling a typical Knicks and constructing a team of names in the hopes of pulling so positive media buzz and attracting a big FA would be a disaster.

If I was in charge of the Knicks I would be looking to play the long game and focus on hitting on a franchise corner stone in 2021. I have limited knowledge of the 2021 class but the top of the draft looks really strong and 3-4 of the top picks look to have initiator potential.

The 2020 draft is primarily a role player draft. If the Celtics where to offer them 14,26,30, and Porier (Kanter if he opts in) for #8 and #38 (they probably insist on keeping #38) using Tankathon's mock they could net the following. ( I don't totally agree with Tankathon but gives a good idea)

Celtics
#8   Vassell
#38 Tillman     
#47 Flynn/Quickley

Knicks

#14 P Williams
#26 Bane
#27 Tre Jones
#30 McDanield

Them if i'm the Knicks I would use my cap space to help other teams get under lux tax. picking up additional assets. I would also look to over pay a Vet PG like Augustine or Dellavedova with a 1 yr team option 2nd year deal.

This sets them up to land a top 5 pick while developing pieces for the future.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:29:17 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Knicks trading for Paul and signing Melo and then missing the playoffs yet again would be hilarious.

You can always depend on the Knicks for comic relief.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain