Author Topic: Thybulle Celtics promise?  (Read 10118 times)

Thybulle Celtics promise?
« on: May 26, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Per Steve kyler of basketball insiders, when I asked about Lecque working out for OKC despite the rumors that they already had a promise to Thybulle. The following was his response

Steve Kyler
@stevekylerNBA
I was told after the Combine that Thybulle's promise if from the Celtics... Lecque is also likely a second round guy.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Thybulle Celtics promise?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:31:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I doubt the Celtics are making promises if there's any possibility they trade the pick to New Orleans.

And, the reason that a team would work out other players despite making a promise is obvious, isn't it?  What if the promised guy gets picked earlier?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Per Steve kyler of basketball insiders, when I asked about Lecque working out for OKC despite the rumors that they already had a promise to Thybulle. The following was his response

Steve Kyler
@stevekylerNBA
I was told after the Combine that Thybulle's promise if from the Celtics... Lecque is also likely a second round guy.

I could see this

another marcus smart like defender that needs his other "skills" to tidy up

If Thybulle indeed was "promised" ... celting yearning for "defense" again

I wouldn't mind if team drafted Clarke and Thybulle

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I doubt the Celtics are making promises if there's any possibility they trade the pick to New Orleans.

And, the reason that a team would work out other players despite making a promise is obvious, isn't it?  What if the promised guy gets picked earlier?

If there is a trade, I wouldn't be surprised if the parameters are already set; they just need to wait until it is allowed. The Cs would then know what pick(s) they are keeping (if any) and who might be available.

But to your 2nd point, absolutely. You can't just assume the player you want is going to be available at your draft slot.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

unless they also state "contingent upon us having a pick at X." or maybe the celtics plan to buy a pick? and if he is picked earlier, then so be it. promise is made to be null and void.

this is not that complex.

i do like thybulle as a player and hope the celtics get him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Thybulle makes perfect sense for the Celtics. Naismith Defensive Player of the Year.

Most boards have him available at 20 or 22, so why not make him a promise.

I sincerely doubt that New Orleans wants either of those picks. In fact, I doubt they want the SAC pick at 14 either. They're going to sign the #1 rookie contract this year. That's a lot of guaranteed rookie money for one cycle. I'm sure they're much more interested in the Memphis pick.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I remember similar rumors with Reggie Jackson back in 2011. It also helped that he was a Boston product too, only to be draft one spot earlier than the Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We can’t make promise to any draft picks unless we have worked out a deal with the Pels already which I highly doubt.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
We can’t make promise to any draft picks unless we have worked out a deal with the Pels already which I highly doubt.

It would be pretty easy for Boston to know if New Orleans is interested in any of this year's picks without having the deal completely worked out. Chances are they are not interested in any of them.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 08:29:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would be pretty easy for Boston to know if New Orleans is interested in any of this year's picks without having the deal completely worked out. Chances are they are not interested in any of them.

Teams are always interested in draft picks.  They're not going to willfully keep them out of a deal.

It could be that there's a framework of a deal in place, but I find that doubtful.  I think it's more likely that there's no promise at all, since the reporting on these promises has been way off in recent years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Forget defense..i want offense!!..Warriors win with offense not defense
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Forget defense..i want offense!!..Warriors win with offense not defense

Is that really true, though? Draymond and Klay are second team all-defensive players. Igoudala is still a fantastic defender. And Durant is really, really good, too. Even Looney's underrated.

Basically, Curry is the only weak link in their lineup.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Bad post. Deleted.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15:02 PM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Thybulle would be a nice pick for Celtics, then go for Patrick Beverly, together with MS36, lets go back to Grit and Grind type of game.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis coming to Boston confirmed. We clearly just need Defensive glue guys now that don't want to shoot 😁